Disney Monorails go Officially Automated?

ryanjan97

Original Poster
I was at the Ticket and Transportation Center today where monorail blue came in and suddenly stopped halfway through the station. Then I noticed this computer panel set up in the cockpit, so I asked a cast member what it was for and he said that it was the brains behind the automation of the Mark VI Monorails and it was not going so well and was delaying the "removal of the pilot" and that there were some computer errors going on. By the way, there was a pilot in the cockpit and had to manually drive the monorail completely into the station. Anyone know anything about this or whats going to happen in the future?
IMG_5716.JPG
IMG_5715.JPG
IMG_5717.JPG

ryanjan97

Original Poster
Rather than pay a trained Monorail operator Disney would rather gamble on the efficiency and safety of a computer which has all of the situational awareness of a toilet seat and none of the reliability.
Agreed, its bad enough that the computer cant distinguish where to stop in the station, but have a trained driver basically watch over the system and make sure nothing happens...

NelleBelle

What is the "world" coming to? :eek: I'm sure there is some argument that having automated monorails is safer, blah blah blah, but I certainly feel safer with a trained, experienced monorail pilot behind the "wheel."

Minthorne

What is the "world" coming to? :eek: I'm sure there is some argument that having automated monorails is safer, blah blah blah, but I certainly feel safer with a trained, experienced monorail pilot behind the "wheel."

If you flew to WDW there is a good chance you plane landed using automation. Personally, if I were to be concerned about using a computer to control my mode of transportation I'd be far more worried about the airplane than a monorail.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoland

Monorail_Red_77

I'm not sure about this new automation system. My guess is that it is going to replace the MAPO safety system. Perhaps a bit more reliability or maybe allow monorails to travel closer together safely on a regular basis. Anyway, I suppose we'll just have to wait and see how this all works out. Either way, as many miles as these babies see in a year. I imagine the savings in efficiency will equate to about 1/4 of a Monorail Pilots monthly salary. Then TDO will label this a success.

Why is it that when I think of the Dunkin Donuts guy. I think of Bob Iger. Time to raise the ticket prices. :banghead: :cautious: :eek: :oops: :facepalm: :jawdrop:

Monorail_Red_77

The automation is the result of the fatal crash that occurred several years ago. There are several threads on the topic and its testing.
True, I know why it is being installed. Just seems like an extra layer of security, since monorail pilots will still be babysitting the system and all.

Kinda like they are saying to OSHA/NTSB, see we have installed this automated system, blah blah blah. Yet, business as usual at the same time.

Monorail_Red_77

The Vegas monorails are automated. If it has worked there for years now without a problem, why couldn't work at Disney?

I don't doubt that it can work. However, at Disney from what I have heard on these forums from people in the know. Disney's Automated system will not eliminate the Monorail Pilot in the cab. Whereas other automated systems do not have a driver at all. So my point is that, other than satisfying a federal judgment, etc. what's the point. I guess we will all have to wait an see the final product.

Automating the Monorail, in my view as legal consultant in advanced technologies and artificial intelligence, do not consider it a problem, it is no more dangerous than a human driver and no less efficient. Automation is the future for years and one of the dreams of Mr. Walter Elias Disney. EPCOT not forget it was an automated futuristic city ... and we are talking about an idea of the 50s and early 60s and then automatic lines already existed.

The fact that a computer pilote just a monorail or a railroad and efficient depends solely on driving indicators which it is programmed. The necessary indicators would be only a few:

- GPS positioning beacons each Monorail
- GPS positioning beacons each station
- Sensors front and rear proximity of each Monorail to prevent shock
- Sensors maximum speed limit by taking the route sections
- Laser sensors door control presence to know when to stop people getting in and out
- Recognition sensors traffic lights to cross, incorporating new monorail to the lines, etc ...​

The rest would only be putting the units into operation that may be required as necessary and set the flow speed, stops, distances between vehicles.

It is safe and there would be no problem for not wearing driver, everything would be centralized from the central monorail. If there is a mechanical or software error it is like now ... the monorail stops and have to fix it. But that is not dependent on a machine that drive it are matters outside.

Forgive me !!!

UncleMike101

Agreed, its bad enough that the computer cant distinguish where to stop in the station, but have a trained driver basically watch over the system and make sure nothing happens...
Agreed....
But in the current atmosphere of "eliminate, ret rid of, do without, cut costs on," as much as Disney can get away with, that could be an expensive situation compared to letting the computers run everything.
I'm guessing that the trained drivers would be a temporary feel good measure for the park patrons.
Additionally, the GIGO rule is still in effect and the system will only be as reliable as the programmers input allows, and since the programmers are fallible humans the possibility of an unexpected set of circumstances occurring that the automated driver isn't programmed to respond correctly to is a possibility.

Phonedave

Automating the Monorail, in my view as legal consultant in advanced technologies and artificial intelligence, do not consider it a problem, it is no more dangerous than a human driver and no less efficient. Automation is the future for years and one of the dreams of Mr. Walter Elias Disney. EPCOT not forget it was an automated futuristic city ... and we are talking about an idea of the 50s and early 60s and then automatic lines already existed.

The fact that a computer pilote just a monorail or a railroad and efficient depends solely on driving indicators which it is programmed. The necessary indicators would be only a few:

- GPS positioning beacons each Monorail
- GPS positioning beacons each station
- Sensors front and rear proximity of each Monorail to prevent shock
- Sensors maximum speed limit by taking the route sections
- Laser sensors door control presence to know when to stop people getting in and out
- Recognition sensors traffic lights to cross, incorporating new monorail to the lines, etc ...​

The rest would only be putting the units into operation that may be required as necessary and set the flow speed, stops, distances between vehicles.

It is safe and there would be no problem for not wearing driver, everything would be centralized from the central monorail. If there is a mechanical or software error it is like now ... the monorail stops and have to fix it. But that is not dependent on a machine that drive it are matters outside.

Forgive me !!!

As someone who at times deals with network security(from a fail-safe standpoint, not a hacker proof standpoint) I agree with all that you said, except they would have to also add redundant systems.

lazyboy97o

I don't doubt that it can work. However, at Disney from what I have heard on these forums from people in the know. Disney's Automated system will not eliminate the Monorail Pilot in the cab. Whereas other automated systems do not have a driver at all. So my point is that, other than satisfying a federal judgment, etc. what's the point. I guess we will all have to wait an see the final product.
The pilot is there to engage an emergency stop. Automation still provides more consistent and precise driving which can increase cycle times.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Rather than pay a trained Monorail operator Disney would rather gamble on the efficiency and safety of a computer which has all of the situational awareness of a toilet seat and none of the reliability.

How do you feel about rides like Test Track, Dinosaur, Great Movie Ride, and Universe of Energy that all use free moving, computer controlled ride vehicles. Not to mention Sum of All Thrills where you are strapped to the end of a computer controlled robot arm.

MonorailMan

How do you feel about rides like Test Track, Dinosaur, Great Movie Ride, and Universe of Energy that all use free moving, computer controlled ride vehicles. Not to mention Sum of All Thrills where you are strapped to the end of a computer controlled robot arm.
The difference is that those are attractions and the monorail is a mass transit system. The other thing is that you can close an attraction for an extended period of time to work on issues with the automation. Again, the monorail is a mass transit system that cannot be closed for an extended period of time to work on an automation project that started 5 years ago. There are just too many logistical issues with trying to upgrade the current monorail fleet to be fully automated.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom