Disney made almost 1 billion in "theme-park profit" during the last quarter.

Corylancaster

Just playing devils advocate but that much profit is spread out across all Disney theme parks not just the ones in Orlando. So that is 13 parks (countingn water parks but not hotels or shopping districts) which means each park could only get a max of $75.5 million which we know doesn't go very far. If they reinvested it into all the theme parks they would spread that across the hotels, golf courses, and shopping districts which would give everything even less money to work with. But realistically this will most likely end up just going towards paying off existing construction projects.

Chef Mickey

wdwtopten

Original Poster
BTW, operating income is not exactly profit. Disney made $981M operating income at parks and resorts.

They still have to pay tax on it. It's kind of like your salary vs your take home.

The article I linked didn't classify it as "operating income", they called it "profit."

For what reason do you think they are referring to operating income?

Chef Mickey

The article I linked didn't classify it as "operating income", they called it "profit."

For what reason do you think they are referring to operating income?
I just read their annual report. It's operating income ($981M).

Operating Income is prior to removing taxes and interest. Net Income is a true measure of profit because it's after taxes and interest. Also know as EBIT. Earnings before interest, taxes.

Chef Mickey

ESPN seems to be hurting the Disney corp
Wallstreet is dinging them for that. I'd say the Disney Company is about as healthy as they've ever been. ESPN is just experiencing something all traditional media is experiencing. There are so many ways to get your scores, highlights, and information now, people don't plan to watch Sportscenter.

Wallstreet always does this. They ignore the fact Disney destroyed top and bottom line estimates and every business is running on all cylinders and instead focus on subscriber counts and margins at ESPN. Disney's quarter was incredible and essentially no one cares.

The same thing happened to Apple. The had the best quarter in corporate history, beat top and bottom line, sold more iPhones than last year despite selling an incremental upgrade (iPhone 6s) and all Wallstreet can focus on is that it wasn't even more iPhones sold. Growth isn't fast enough. It's insane.

Chef Mickey

And we have to keep the same old tired monorails going instead of getting new ones because?
I know it sucks, but profits are not just sitting in the bank. They have some cash on their balance sheet, but profits are used to pay dividends, fund projects around the world, and buy new equipment, land, etc.

It's just like anything else. You probably have some cash in the bank right now to model your tired old bathroom or kitchen, but you choose to save it or spend it elsewhere. Could you afford to do the remodeling? Perhaps, but you have other plans for that money.

Companies aren't much different than a personal household budget...they are just a lot bigger.

That said, some of Disney's park failures are inexcusable and have turned into eyesores and maintenance issues.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom