Disney/Iger response to Desantis battle?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I'm just curious what ideas/suggestions people have in response to the "Battle for Reedy Creek". Maybe the title for a future Disney+ or Netflix documentary. 🤣

What would you do if you were in Iger's shoes?
How would you respond to Desantis outside of the suit that was already filed?
Realistically, what can they do, since moving isn't really an option?

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
I think Iger is smart in mostly keeping his mouth shut and letting the lawyer's do the work. We'll probably get the juicy details of what went on behind the scenes 5-10 years from now when Iger is no longer running the company and DeSantis no longer has so much control over Florida or the country.
Agreed. Iger is very smart in how he works. He's not going to do a Chapek and just start making un-hinged and un-filtered remarks.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
Just a few of my thoughts, short of slashing his tires, and black-listing him from the parks and resort. ;)

Disney is kind of over a barrel on their options, really. Most of the things they might consider would hurt themselves almost as much as it would Florida.

Obviously, they could cancel or further delay the Lake Nona project. However, this one is a cost saver for Disney.

They could slow development at WDW, but they already move at a snail's pace with everything they do. So, I'm not sure how much more they could do this except for not announcing anything new until Desantis is out of office, maybe.

Contribute heavily to his political opponents, but this could be dangerous as well if it gets publicity.

Run a publicity campaign on how much they've contributed to the growth of Florida over the last 50+ years. Again, could be risky if not played carefully, and could have the adverse effect.

JIMINYCR

At this point don’t poke the bear. Don’t make matters worse with more verbiage because at this point no one is going to benefit by inflaming the situation. It’s gone to far from both sides bucking heads. Lawyers are now going to determine how it’s going to play out.

Br0ckford

I feel like each side is
Tim Burton Batman GIF by Giffffr

Goofyernmost

I'm just curious what ideas/suggestions people have in response to the "Battle for Reedy Creek". Maybe the title for a future Disney+ or Netflix documentary. 🤣

What would you do if you were in Iger's shoes?
How would you respond to Desantis outside of the suit that was already filed?
Realistically, what can they do, since moving isn't really an option?
I know it isn't likely that they would pack up and move, but this place had a shipload of money and it could be done. Just not likely. Disney will be around a long time after DeSatan is flipping burgers at McDonalds. What they are doing is fine for the moment. What I don't understand is what is stopping Disney from just ignoring the "new" board and if nessesary just fix what ever needs fixing themselves. The kind of power the board wants is to do things that RCID never did to begin with.

Does anyone think that TWDC consulted RCID at anytime about the content of their stories or the direction they should take. RCID never had that power and that may come up at the trial if there is one. They didn't have to have that contracted because it was understood that was not their mission. Theirs was to build the property, not to decide what would be in it. How is the state going to enforce their foolishness when the only access they have is the special district and Disney can ignore them quite easily. It is right that they fight it because if Ronny can do that to a company that allows Florida to not have an income tax because Disney and everyone they are connected with have supplied enough money so that Florida was funded all it needed, then they can take away every ones 1A. They've already done that in a lot of areas. Someone or something has to stop them and hopefully Disney will finally use all that money to do the right thing for the public for a change.
This whole thing started when they poked the bear.
That is for sure, it may take a little while but I have no doubt that the right thing will happen.

Chef Mickey

Regardless of where you are politically on this or anything else, it is really stupid for companies to play politics or make any statement. Just focus on running your business.

Disney's management has done a terrible job running Disney over the last 3-4 years. Sure, Covid didn't help, but their costs are out of control, the dividend is suspended still, and they have plenty of nonsense to clean up to become a respectable company again.

I didn't want Chapek, but I'm beginning to think Iger and the whole management team needs to go. They are all too old and running the company into the ground. The CFO should be fired over just the cost issues. The FCF Disney is producing is shameful for a company with this many high quality assets. This isn't Paramount.

As a shareholder, I'm frustrated. As a fan, I've been disappointed in many decisions over the last several years.

Disney is a leader. The fact they are struggling to run this business is purely because of incompetent management.

The fact they are participating in this fight underscore the incompetence.

Last edited:

JIMINYCR

This whole thing started when they poked the bear.
Yes the bear got poked. And we got what we have now, a battle between two heavy weights. Neither wants to give any purchase to the other. There’s too much that’s gone on to back down. But the OPs query was what do they do NOW. You don’t keep poking the bear. You hope the pain stops and he leaves you alone and goes back into hibernation. Keep poking and all it get you is a world of further hurt. The damage has been done. Move on. Don’t exasperate the situation.

LittleBuford

Yes the bear got poked. And we got what we have now, a battle between two heavy weights. Neither wants to give any purchase to the other. There’s too much that’s gone on to back down. But the OPs query was what do they do NOW. You don’t keep poking the bear. You hope the pain stops and he leaves you alone and goes back into hibernation. Keep poking and all it get you is a world of further hurt. The damage has been done. Move on. Don’t exasperate the situation.
Given that Disney is suing DeSantis, there is no chance of moving on. Things have to come to a head one way or the other.

JIMINYCR

Given that Disney is suing DeSantis, there is no chance of moving on. Things have to come to a head one way or the other.
And again the OPs query was what’s Iger or DeSantis move. At this point don’t go media, don’t make statements to inflame the situation. Stay static and non confrontational. Leave it up to the lawyers and courts.

pdude81

I think they shut up and deal with this in court. And if somehow that doesn't go Disney's way, then you pick a week next year so that guests/planners have plenty of notice to shut down every park and hotel other than DVC (unless their ownership percentage would allow for that). Let the real numbers speak for themselves. At the same time you announce a multi million dollar study in concert with another state for a feasibility study on a new resort. Then see who is talking tough.

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
The responses show what their respective priorities are.

Iger's priority is making Disney look like the "rational adult" (yes, I know Disney is a company, not a human adult), meanwhile DeSantis's priority is to look like a tough culture warrior for his base.

Iger's priority is for Disney to not be trashed financially and come out ahead financially. DeSantis's priority is the White House.

Disstevefan1

In keeping in context of this tread to avoid being blocked. I think Disney/Iger should keep quiet and work behind the scenes to get the parental right law reversed in Florida and while they are at it, work to make all segments of the company PROFITABLE, not just the theme parks and cruise lines, this too could be a powerful resource to DeSantis.

GrumpyFan

Original Poster
There are already multiple threads discussing this whole issue. But if you want to be specific as to what you think Iger should do, that's fine. But don't debate what led things to this point over and over.
Thank you!
I just wanted to hear what others thought Disney/Iger could/should do to counter the attacks.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom