Disney Grand Californian

TomHendricks

Original Poster
We're heading to Disneyland next May and I was checking out the points needed to stay at the Grand Californian. However there was no choice for view. For anyone who has stayed there, where are the DVC rooms situated? What are the view in general? We're considering staying in a 2 bedroom but what are the room sizes like? We're a family of 5 and usually stay at Bay Lake Tower in a 1 bedroom. Any additional information would be handy, thanks in advance.

Tom

Beta Return
We've stayed at GCV once, and loved it. You're right that they don't offer view selections. It's hit and miss on what you get. We lucked out and had a partial view into DCA, and could see WoC from our balcony at night.

The 2-bedrooms at GCV are about 1260 square feet, while the 2-brs at BLT are about 1150sf.

A nice thing about the GCV villas is that, like BLT, they have the full guest bath in the living room, so all 3 sleeping areas have access to a shower and toilet. That's a HUGE feature to those layouts. I wish that was more standard, because if you're a family in a 1BR, it would be nice for the kids to have a tub or shower and toilet of their own, so everyone can get ready at once.

Here's a really good resource: https://dvcinfo.com/resort-informat...illas-at-disneys-grand-californian-hotel-spa/

worldfanatic

As a So Cal DVC Owner, I've stayed at the Grand Cal many times.
In the Villas, we've always requested a high floor level and enjoyed many California Adventure Park views (in both South & East facing units).
But honestly, I think I prefer the North facing Villas which look right into the pool area.
The Grand Cal has an amazing pool area, and the buildings around them are beautiful as well.
You really can't go wrong from any Villa on the 4th floor or higher.(some of the lower units facing California Adventure, although pleasant, won't see much of the Park)

TP2000

Not a DVC owner, but I took the tour at the Grand Californian. Most of the DVC rooms face south and have a view into the Paradise Pier area like this...
IMG_2394.jpg

Although a few of the DVC rooms face east and have a view of the Grizzly Peak area with Carthay Circle and Tower of Terror beyond, like this...
2012-12-22_12-23-33_183_zpsdb2b2525.jpg

Last edited:

Tom

Beta Return
Not a DVC owner, but I took the tour at the Grand Californian. Most of the DVC rooms face south and have a view into the Paradise Pier area like this...
IMG_2394.jpg

Although a few of the DVC rooms face west and have a view of the Grizzly Peak area with Carthay Circle and Tower of Terror beyond, like this...

Our view was the first pic. It was neat to watch the night crews working after the park closed.

WWWD

We stayed there last year and had a direct view into Paradise Pier and it was awesome to watch World of Color from there. If you don't get that view, there is a big public balcony on the top floor that overlooks Paradise Pier. We only knew about it because it was just a few doors down from our room and I was looking for an ice machine.

TomHendricks

Original Poster
We stayed there last year and had a direct view into Paradise Pier and it was awesome to watch World of Color from there. If you don't get that view, there is a big public balcony on the top floor that overlooks Paradise Pier. We only knew about it because it was just a few doors down from our room and I was looking for an ice machine.
Thanks for that little bit of info, will come in handy.

mikenatcity1

IMG_2394.jpg

Although a few of the DVC rooms face east and have a view of the Grizzly Peak area with Carthay Circle and Tower of Terror beyond, like this...

Wow! We FINALLY scored reservations for next month...I sure hope we can get a room like the first! We are staying there for our 1 year anniversary

mcstensrud

We had a pool view I believe on the top floor. Wish we had a park view but still okay.great room, I remember one of those pull down beds under the TV in the living room of a one bedroom.
Great place, have fun.
We did

TomHendricks

Original Poster
I am going next year.
We're going in May, so we're close to being 7 months out. A little over a month till we can make our reservation. We went to Disneyland for the first time seven year ago. We were there for only one day. This time it will be four or five day, so plenty of time to take it all in. Very excited to go, can't wait to see Carsland.

mikenatcity1

We're going in May, so we're close to being 7 months out. A little over a month till we can make our reservation. We went to Disneyland for the first time seven year ago. We were there for only one day. This time it will be four or five day, so plenty of time to take it all in. Very excited to go, can't wait to see Carsland.

Good luck with the reservations! I hope you get them :) Something I found helpful- if the entire stay isn't available, still book the days that are, then go in an individually waitlist each of the other days (if there are multiple)...it took 2 approvals of waitlists but I was able to get my full week.

TomHendricks

Original Poster
Good luck with the reservations! I hope you get them :) Something I found helpful- if the entire stay isn't available, still book the days that are, then go in an individually waitlist each of the other days (if there are multiple)...it took 2 approvals of waitlists but I was able to get my full week.
Thanks, that's a good idea. Did you stay in the same room or did you have to move? I've never done anything like this.

mikenatcity1

Thanks, that's a good idea. Did you stay in the same room or did you have to move? I've never done anything like this.

We actually go in a couple weeks! I have confirmation we will be in the same room- as soon as you have the dates you need, if the system doesn't lump them together, you can call to have the reservations combined into 1 reservation so you don't have to move :)

mikenatcity1

I will add- don't give up on the waitlist! I waitlisted Friday Sept 23 and was just informed I got it (2 weeks before)! Because of this, i'm able to do the Halloween Party, so it shows it can happen even at the last minute :) (and I called DVC and they added it again to my original reservation) I wish you lots of luck and success and hope you get to have a wonderful trip :)

TomHendricks

Original Poster
I will add- don't give up on the waitlist! I waitlisted Friday Sept 23 and was just informed I got it (2 weeks before)! Because of this, i'm able to do the Halloween Party, so it shows it can happen even at the last minute :) (and I called DVC and they added it again to my original reservation) I wish you lots of luck and success and hope you get to have a wonderful trip :)
Thanks! Really nice and I appreciate it.

mikenatcity1

I wanted to add to this- I just got back from staying at the villas at GC...we were lucky to be the first to check into the newly renovated room (we were going to the room when senior management was walking out). I haven't seen it before the renovations, but I love the room now! I was very happy with it! Plus, the view of WOC wasn't bad (most of the fun wheel and some of the fountains). I hope everyone can get the new rooms as they are absolutely lovely! The only downside is the construction noise during the day, but that's manageable.

TomHendricks

Original Poster
Just a quick update, I was successful in getting our reservations this morning. So we'll be staying in the Grand Californian, 2 Bedroom May 9th to the 13th. We're very excited, this will be our first visit to Disneyland with the whole family.

Edgmiller

We are attempting an early June booking at the Grand Californian. It will be our first trip ever to Cali. Our 7 month booking window starts in 7 days. I am quite nervous because all of our vacation planning rests on the availability at the DVC. We are requesting a 1 bedroom, which helps our chances some. I also think LA public schools will not release for summer vacation until the following week (if my information sources are correct). Wish us luck!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom