Disney Disappointments

buttrcp16

I know this is a polarizing topic, but the closure of Maelstrom and introduction of a fictional land into World Showcase is a huge disappointment to me. Maelstrom was a family tradition for us and could have been made fantastic with a refurb. I don't feel that a Frozen attraction is in keeping with what World Showcase is supposed to be about (and I love Frozen!).

buttrcp16

And to add another... I'm extremely disappointed that Jessie doesn't have a neck. What's up with that? Woody has one. I mean come on, this is Toy Story, not Hunchback of Notre Dame!
;)

copcarguyp71

hooooo boy....this is a tough one. There are several front runners that come to mind but I think my number one biggest disappointment is empty unused spaces. Sorry but "special events" is just another way of saying "nothing to see here...move along". When I think of all the empty buildings and attractions my brain throbs.

Odyssey
WOL
Imagination upstairs
Golden Horseshoe (opening during busy times does not count to me)
Sounds Dangerous
Snow White (M&G does in no way take the place of an attraction)

I am typing this in the middle of chores so that is just the short list that pops into my head...;)

DisneyJunkie

No WDW Gifts Online offering the same items on a website that you'd find in pretty much any and all actual gift shops in the parks and resorts at WDW.

Baldy

The loss of the mainstreet bakery. :( RIP Cinnamon Roll (If I wanted a Starbucks I would stay home)
The unused buildings where rides and attractions once were
The lack of unique merchandise for parks as well as resorts (I like the Japan Pavilion for this, but it would be nice to have unique Disney merchandise).

mousehockey37

Original Poster
hooooo boy....this is a tough one. There are several front runners that come to mind but I think my number one biggest disappointment is empty unused spaces. Sorry but "special events" is just another way of saying "nothing to see here...move along". When I think of all the empty buildings and attractions my brain throbs.

Odyssey
WOL
Imagination upstairs
Golden Horseshoe (opening during busy times does not count to me)
Sounds Dangerous
Snow White (M&G does in no way take the place of an attraction)

I am typing this in the middle of chores so that is just the short list that pops into my head...;)

Yeah, I agree EPCOT and other places will gradually have something like this as you're walking around:

officer_barbrady_move_along_sm.jpg

Especially since they are and have been cutting the strolling entertainment as well as eliminating good quality acts and replacing them with lumberjacks and flag waving (I'm a marching band/drum corps person and I'd rather see FutureCorps back than this Flag waving thing).

Last edited:

mousehockey37

Original Poster
No WDW Gifts Online offering the same items on a website that you'd find in pretty much any and all actual gift shops in the parks and resorts at WDW.

There are some websites out there that do sell things from in the parks, I have one that I check for things, but it's super marked up. I won't put the exact site here, you can PM me if you want to know.

Just as an example: The 5 pin limited edition set (the one in the pumpkin box) for MNSSHP is $85 in the park. On this particular site that I can view park merchandise on, they want 299.95 for it.

So there "are" sites out there, you just need to be super careful. If you do ever find anything you want though (if discussed on here or elsewhere) I do believe you can call the parks and actually purchase things over the phone (can anyone verify that for me?).

alhenton

After visiting in July I agree with the merchandise disappointment. I remember walking into different shops anticipating new merchandise specific to that shop, only to see the same stuff from other stores.

Andsome

The Seas with Nemo & Friends, one of the biggest examples of a pointless overlay. And the unfortunate thing about it is that it opened up the doors for other unnecessary character overlays in Epcot.

George Lucas on a Bench

The Magic Kingdom's version of Pirates of the Caribbean has been really disappointing for me since the movie refurb. Not because Disneyland's is clearly superior, but because Magic Kingdom's lost so many classic elements that made it unique. There are less Audio-Animatronics in the thing than before the refurb, which is inexcusable. The firing cannons, the barker bird, the talking skull and the ending with the guys in the treasure room...heck, even the audio in the queue line was dialed down. What the heck? Why couldn't they have kept that stuff despite the movie changes? Some people might say these elements are minor details (although the original ending was anything but), however, it just doesn't feel the same to me anymore.

Chef Mickey

I absolutely hate the addition of Starbucks. Of course it's a great business decision and they can make more money, but is anything sacred anymore?

The bigger disappointment for me is that management has shown they are incapable of preserving the true essence of Disney.

Soarin2u

Definitely over using their movies in the parks. IE, M&G's, Avatar, Frozen, PotC (kinda)... Some things are okay the way the are! Unless they fill in a empty space, I'm not for it, even then I MUCH rather see something original.

mousehockey37

Original Poster
The bigger disappointment for me is that management has shown they are incapable of preserving the true essence of Disney.

Definitely over using their movies in the parks. IE, M&G's, Avatar, Frozen, PotC (kinda)... Some things are okay the way the are! Unless they fill in a empty space, I'm not for it, even then I MUCH rather see something original.

I think these two things go together in a sense. Something original would mean something that is innovative, which was an essence of Disney. Disney is still a place (no matter what your age) where you can still "escape" reality, but there's just a lot bigger price tag and more empty buildings to show for it.

If the execs would look beyond the $$$ in their bank accounts and get out in the parks (maybe get behind one of those survey tablets) and actually hear first hand from the consumer their true feelings about the current state of things (ie Too much Frozen being crammed down our throats or fireworks could be better, this ride could use this or that, etc), then maybe they'd realize that "oh, we lost sight of that"...

Disney, as society goes, currently is all about the here and now. Not to get political, which I'm really not, but it seems that business and politics anymore is what can I do for me now, screw what everyone else thinks and who cares about the future.

Matt_Black

You can't necessarily single out just Disney for this practice. Movies, toys, video games, and more are all delving more and more to established IPs instead of making something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom