Disney Depression? Is there such thing?

Britt

Original Poster
I've heard it joked about a couple times...lol In fact, when we came back from our last trip, I was sooooo bummed! My friend Jena came home from her trip and messaged me a couple days later and asked if I'd felt sad and bummed about being home.

Have YOU ever experienced "Post Disney Depression"? ;)

DisneyDebNJ

I don't think there's a person on these boards who doesn't experience this. (me included) The one thing that keeps me out of crying myself to sleep (seriously, no kidding) is planning our NEXT trip. I start thinking of new experiences I want to try, new restaurants, new resort (OK so I lied, I can't imagine not staying at the Poly) but I keep it in the future, not in the past. Even if its a year or more away, it gives me something *Disney* to look forward to :)

Californian Elitist

I think everyone feels a little sad once their trip is over. I can get over it, as there are PLENTY of other things to do besides going to Disney all the time, like going to Universal or The Grove or Hollywood (I live in California).

Vader2112

Absolutely there is such a thing. It usually starts to set in the last night there. The real kick in the gut is packing the bags. Then when you get home it really sets in.

ImagineerDude

I always cry listening to MK enterance music after park closing waiting to board the monorail. I try to peek over the train station to get one last look. One thing that helps me is thinking about what we will do and see next time (2013 trip- Blizzard Beach, New Fantasyland). This year it was Disney's Boardwalk, Grand Floridian. One thing I always have a hard time with is thinking about how many days it has been since we have went (11 now)

I sometimes jump on the trampoline outside with my $20 WDW Mickey gloves and a Goofy hat pretending I'm in a parade :p

Sinuses in Southern Indiana don't help either!!!!

Britt

Original Poster
I always cry listening to MK enterance music after park closing waiting to board the monorail. I try to peek over the train station to get one last look. One thing that helps me is thinking about what we will do and see next time (2013 trip- Blizzard Beach, New Fantasyland). This year it was Disney's Boardwalk, Grand Floridian. One thing I always have a hard time with is thinking about how many days it has been since we have went (11 now)

I sometimes jump on the trampoline outside with my $20 WDW Mickey gloves and a Goofy hat pretending I'm in a parade :p

Sinuses in Southern Indiana don't help either!!!!

OMG YESSSS! HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA Best anti depressant ever! hahahahahahaha ; )

lebeau

I don't usually experience depression after a trip. I am usually ready to go home. Sometimes, I have even wished my trip was shorter.

But after about 6 months, I start to miss it. And when I realize my next trip is at least a year or two (or three) off, then I get depressed.

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
If you talk to your local shrink they may dispute it, but anyone around here will tell you it's a REAL thing. Everything is fine ----
you and your happy family come tearing off the DME into the resort---
luggage in hand getting ready to start your AWESOME WDW vaca...
It starts about day 3 into your WDW trip...creeping in at the back of your mind...but you push it away...I still have so many days left...
then it continues to nag at you...then before you know it you're making the walk of shame with your luggage, toward the airline check in...your hanging your head---nobody in the family is talking to each other...you look up because you just about get plowed over by that obnoxious family tearing off the DME -- going to start their effing stupid WDW vaca...You know the type? All smiles and happy...then you find yourself full on depression. You can't even visit WDWmagic because guaranteed they'll be some a-hole talking about "63 more days" Yeah! You know the type right? So you sit there at work looking at pictures and think how the h3ll do i get rid of this horrible feeling..."I know! Plan another vacation!" Better get on WDWMagic talk to my friends and get some news and tips.....and it starts all over again....

Cmdr_Crimson

This site..http://postdisneydepression.tumblr.com/ Will make you understand...Like this for example..
tumblr_m5ikemgh601rped57o1_400.jpg

OswaldTheRabbit

I don't think there's a person on these boards who doesn't experience this. (me included) The one thing that keeps me out of crying myself to sleep (seriously, no kidding) is planning our NEXT trip. I start thinking of new experiences I want to try, new restaurants, new resort (OK so I lied, I can't imagine not staying at the Poly) but I keep it in the future, not in the past. Even if its a year or more away, it gives me something *Disney* to look forward to :)

Oh my deb.... I think we are long lost sisters!!! I feel the exact same way! This is why I plan plan plan.... Mostly so I can dream about our next trip!

Mukta

The worst for me is when I land back at my home airport and there are people lined up to go to Orlando. I'm filled with sadness and jealousy. I've avoided these boards for almost a year because i didn't have a trip lined up.

DisneyDebNJ

Oh my deb.... I think we are long lost sisters!!! I feel the exact same way! This is why I plan plan plan.... Mostly so I can dream about our next trip!
Planning a new trip, is the ONLY way I have found, beats the Post Disney blues, no doubt about that, be it 3 months, 6 months, 12 months or 18 months in the future.

Jedeye80

As someone who hasn't been in 4 years, yes there is such a thing but I start getting the blues when we are a week in to our trip because that means we only have a week left. So now I just dream of when I go back because it will be my little terrors first time and spend my hours on these forums listening to wishes and watching non stop Disney junior during in the day ( I don't have a choice in that).

njDizFan

I'm getting depressed just think about PDP(post disney depression).

Shookie you summed it up pretty well. That is why the planning is almost as fun as the vacation.

It does begin to creep into the back of my mind about half way through, just like an annoying gnat at you ear. You can shoe it away and all is good but that last day(usually a non-park day for me) it starts to become a reality and the next thing you know you are looking at MCO from 20,000 feet.

bucklepants

If you talk to your local shrink they may dispute it, but anyone around here will tell you it's a REAL thing. Everything is fine you and your happy family come tearing off the DME into the resort luggage in hand getting ready to start your AWESOME WDW vaca...
It starts about day 3 into your WDW trip...creeping in at the back of your mind...but you push it away...I still have so many days left...
then it continues to nag at you...then before you know it you're making the walk of shame with your luggage toward the airline check in...your hanging your head nobody in the family is talking to each other...you look up because you just about get plowed
over by that obnoxious family tearing off the DME going to start their effing stupid WDW vaca...You know the type? All smiles and happy...then you find yourself full on depression. You can't even visit WDWmagic because guaranteed they'll be some a-hole talking about "63 more days" Yeah! You know the type right? So you sit there at work looking at pictures and think how the h3ll do i get rid of this horrible feeling..."I know! Plan another vacation!" Better get on WDWMagic talk to my friends and get some news and tips.....and it starts all over again....

OMG! This hits the nail on the head for me!

Spikerdink

I start to feel it a day or two before my Disney vacation ends.... in fact I call checking out and leaving the room for the last time 'The Trail of Tears'.... The last time I posted that on facebook a lot of my friends got worried about me since I said I was dreading being on it....

spacemt354

Chili's
It's funny how when you get to Disney and you look into your empty resort room, it's one of the happiest sights to see. Yet when you leave that same empty room at the end of the trip, it's one of the most depressing sights to see.

Also the luggage always feels heavier when you leave. Granted that may have to do with merchandise, but I think a good chuck of that extra weight is the added depression of leaving Disney. You are not alone in your post-disney depression!

Beholder

I think another reason myself and others may get this depression is that WDW is such a stark contrast to everything else. Everything is over the top, immaculate, beautiful, and at times, overwhelming. It's an unsustainable ideal that I hate leaving. It's truly an escape from reality, that if given the choice, some of us would NEVER leave.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom