News Disney considering a service like Uber at WDW - Confirmed as Minnie Van

danheaton

I have a weird image of a lot of little cars lining up after the fireworks to pick up individual guests. If people start realizing the time savings and spending the money, could it get out of control?

Bairstow

I have a weird image of a lot of little cars lining up after the fireworks to pick up individual guests. If people start realizing the time savings and spending the money, could it get out of control?

It could, but with the non-bus lanes out of the park being a limiting factor, I would imagine that once enough cars begin doing this that the congestion slows them down, the prices will go up or the appeal will reduce to create equilibrium.

danheaton

It could, but with the non-bus lanes out of the park being a limiting factor, I would imagine that once enough cars begin doing this that the congestion slows them down, the prices will go up or the appeal will reduce to create equilibrium.

Good points. I also don't have a great gauge on how many would use this service. I know that regular visitors and super fans would definitely use it, but the casual visitor may not even find out about it.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
That other site is saying it's a Minnie Van that will be Disney's on-demand transport. They took a guess at what the price might be and what style car: ~$15 and a Chevy. Well... they got the car wrong...

Edit: Upon further reflection, it could be this Minnie Van is just a promotional thing with Honda and has nothing to do with an Uber-like service run by WDW. That Site maybe just jumped to the wrong conclusion... so, who knows... until this weekend.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
That other site is saying it's a Minnie Van that will be Disney's on-demand transport. They took a guess at what the price might be and what style car: ~$15 and a Chevy. Well... they got the car wrong...

Edit: Upon further reflection, it could be this Minnie Van is just a promotional thing with Honda and has nothing to do with an Uber-like service run by WDW. That Site maybe just jumped to the wrong conclusion... so, who knows... until this weekend.

And Inside the Magic is saying this is not the Uber-like service you are looking for:

https://twitter.com/InsideTheMagic/status/885547413850783744

Of course, "Minnie Van" could possibly be used for both the service and this Honda display vehicle, causing the confusion.

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
Just awkward timing if they do end up calling the Uber-type service Minnie-Van, as I assume confused media will just google search it and utilize the Honda photo.

If that's the case, it'd be a big win for Honda to grab all those eyeballs for people looking up the new ride service!

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
It'd have to be competitive with mears. This would be great though! Can't tell you how many times I've sat in the TTC bus pickup lot till 3 am waiting on my $37 shuttle back to the airport. (And they're always surprised when I tell them I'm only there for a day trip, I'd like to be picked back up in 10 hrs...)

We have been wondering if the Minnie Van's will indeed be a contract service with Mears just like Mears is the official WDW Resort Taxi and Mears operates the Magical Express. I just can't imagine Disney hiring mini van drivers and purchasing a huge fleet of Minnie Vans anymore than they would hire employees to shuttles to the airport.
DEqbRlnWsAAX26i.jpg

MisterPenguin

Premium Member
We have been wondering if the Minnie Van's will indeed be a contract service with Mears just like Mears is the official WDW Resort Taxi and Mears operates the Magical Express. I just can't imagine Disney hiring mini van drivers and purchasing a huge fleet of Minnie Vans anymore than they would hire employees to shuttles to the airport.

There was a help wanted that went out to cast members to apply to be drivers for the Uber-ish service. So, I doubt it's contracted out to Mears.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
There was a help wanted that went out to cast members to apply to be drivers for the Uber-ish service. So, I doubt it's contracted out to Mears.
I can see that working for the 'test' at the 2 resorts. More than that doubtful.

Tavernacle12

I guess this is good for early/late hotel ADRs and attempts to get to the mini-golf courses, which are otherwise a bit of a pain to reach. Actually using it would depend heavily on the cost, though.
I wonder if they'd add some kind of 'ride plan' option where you pay a certain amount up front for a set of rides, almost like the dining plan?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom