disney chicago

dopey

Original Poster
i originally posted the below on the old board late last week and was hoping for some responses, so i'm posting it here on the new, improved board. here it is:

ok, i'm being selfish here, pining for a disney theme park in my backyard, but i think it would work.

first of all, a disney chicago makes sense. this is walt's home town, after all, and one of the largest feeder markets to the existing parks. that's why dis built its first disneyquest outside of wdw in downtown chicago.

chicago's notoriously bad weather could be minimized by building domed stadium type facilities with retractable roofs (to answer a reply from the previous post: yes, walt disney himself wanted to place the whole of wdw under a giant dome). the roofs can open for the five months we have decent weather.

i would build three circular stadiums that, from above, can be seen as the world's largest set of mickey ears. one dome would be the magic kingdom, another would be an epcot-like park theme that mirrors chicago's ethnic diversity (for example, can have several african showcases, such as egypt, kenya and congo; poland; lithuania; mexico; puerto rico; ireland; and others) and the third dome could be something entirely new (maybe that land of villains park people keep talking about).

you could even built skybox-like facilities in the domes that would serve as really awesome hotel rooms. imagine sitting on a balcony watching fireworks explode at eye level. other resort facilities would surround the three domes, connected by monorail.

another reason i know it would work is because indoor theme parks do pretty well in the midwest. look at the mall of america. there used to be a place called old chicago in one of the suburbs here. i used to love going there as a kid. they, in fact, had one of the earliest looping roller coasters.

the ideal location for disney chicago would be the lakefront on the south side. heck, i'd even build it on the lake. we can use comiskey park, where the white sox try to play baseball, as landfill. seriously, it can be done and would be an amazing sight. it would also be good for economic development on chicago south side -- the baddest part of town -- and replace some abandoned steel mills.

if disney will provide the financing, i'll get started on the concept art right now.

anyone wanna come to disney chicago when it opens in summer 2021?
:D

Brett

That's not a bad idea at all Dopey! I really like the idea of the giant Mickey ears out of the domes, but, geez, those would have to be some gigantic domes!! Chicago is a good place to have another Disney park, due to being Walt's hometown. Maybe, if we're all lucky, this'll happen someday.

woofboy111

Those domes would have to be huge. Did anyone else hear that Walt Disneys originals plans for WDW was to have a dome ofver the whole thing? THink of how huge that would be!!!

JBloom1029

I think Disney in the Williamsburg area would be better with the competition of Busch Gardens and other attravtiosn there. Maybe even closer to New York in an area around where woodstcok was with many open fields.

bobaloo000

Originally posted by woofboy111
I'd love a Disney in NY. When I leave FL to visit reletives up there, I could go to Disney too!!!

I think if Disney built a park around NY it would have to be around were Six Flags is in Jackson, NJ. There is easy access from the highways, five major airports, plus the Jersy shore. It would be a terrific full service resort destination! Plus I live there.

dopey

Original Poster
hey, guys! i said CHICAGO, not new york! CHICAGO. start yer own darn thread for disney ny. :) and ya ain't takin' my disney domes, either.

dopey

Original Poster
woofboy, no problem.

i believe you're right about walt wanting to put a dome over the whole of wdw.

i was thinking more along the lines of the milwaukee brewers' new stadium or the toronto skydome, which have retractable roofs.

Disney Maniac

Domed Disney in Chicago?!

You've got to be kidding me. Yes, Chicago is a great international hub for both rail and air, but the weather! I won't say I totally dislike the idea, there are parts that are interesting, but this park is very unlikely.

First, there is no way that I know of to build a dome that would cover an area of 110 acres, the size of the Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. The biggest domed building I know of is the indoor beach over in Japan. I read Walt Disney's biography, and if I remember, he wanted to put a dome over EPCOT (caps intentional, no malice in it ;) ) since it was to be his Experimental Community. That way, the community would not be easily affected by outside factors, like weather and tourists.

Second, the weather. All the other resorts (Disneyland, Walt Disney World, Disneyland Paris, and Tokyo Disneyland) are built in temperate to tropical climates. That way, they are open year round and the resort doesn't have to make any special conditions, as the weather is basically the same throughout the year. Chicago is in the mild temperate zone, and the snow would really put a damper on attendance for half the year. Besides, when people think of Disney, they think of consistanly warm (mid 70s to 80s) weather and bright sunny days. Sure, Chicago gets that, but consistantly?

Third, other Disney parks. With Disney just finishing up California Adventure and Downtown Disney in Anaheim, the upcoming opening of Tokyo DisneySea, Disney Studios Paris (modeled after the Disney/MGM Studios Park in WDW) in 2002, and Hong Kong Disney in 2005, it will be a while until Disney Corp. willl be able to regroup and charge into another theme park.

dopey

Original Poster
dm, i appreciate your feedback. and i admit chicago's weather is somewhat of an obstacle. a headline in one of our papers yesterday proclaimed that it's been warmer recently in alaska than it has been in chicago.

but just think: a disney world with ice skating rinks, sledding, cross-country skiing, dogsledding, snowmobiling and, everyone's favorite, yukigassen (competitive snowball fights)! we'll build the world's biggest ski ramp, starting at the top of the sears tower and terminating at lake michigan.

thanks for the interesting info about dome facilities. but we could build some attractions into the structure itself (even though it would ruin my mouse ears concept). for example, the bulk of space mtn could be built outside the dome with only the entrance to the ride inside the park. same with the theaters. some dark rides could be built underground, like the subway.

the indoor park i mentioned before, old chicago, had two roller coasters, a flume ride and a couple dozen other rides (31 total). if you count all the actual rides at the magic kingdom, you'll see the number is fewer than 31. i couldn't add the following as a link, but check this out:

http://www.defunctparks.com/parks/IL/oldchicago/oldchicago.htm

Tramp

Don't underestimate the influence of weather on everything from park attendance to maintenance. I don't think a theme park can economically withstand too many days of minimal attendance while the City digs out from a snowstorm.
I'm pretty sure this idea has been thoroughly investigated by Disney and other theme parks and the conclusion has always been the same....not feasible. :D

Chad

For those of you who own the 'IMagineering' book, look at page 166. Is that snow I see covering cinderella's castle in tokyo? apperently the cold doesn't drive too many crowds away, seeing as tokyo is building Disney Seas down there...

Uhh, the dome thing, I can't see putting the whole thing under a dome, but having a dome over each land, with just the entrance inside the dome and the rest of the ride outside would work, and then tunnels connect each dome

Though I don't know how the icon would look, I can't imagine Snow white's castle on a backdrop of fake painted sky lit by a fake sun...and the fireworks! The guests would all die of smoke inhalation!

Disney Maniac

I doubt that the Guests would die of smoke inhalation. After all, professional sports teams do, on many occasions, have indoor fireworks, and the arenas are much smaller than any would-be domes. Besides, you could always install some sort of ventillation system to suck the smokey air out and replace it with wonderfully clean air!:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom