Disney Channels vs WDW & DL

artbell2

Original Poster
I thought this might be a good thread. It used to be some time back in the mid 80s the Disney Channel was almost like your one stop channel for information and shows about Disneyland and WDW. It was (esspecially for me) your Disney fix even if you couldn't make it to WDW. For it's time, it was a great way to promote WDW and DL. I think they used to show New Kids on the Block shows from WDW as well. In the 80s/90s, it was where Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake and Fergie got their starts. Who ever knew that between Kids Inc. and MMC those shows would be the American Idol for it's time. In fact I think for one of the feature presentation logos or intros it had a video of Mickey on top of Spaceship Earth and castle logos as well. Do you think that all these channels that Disney has put out so far (and more on the way including Disney Junior in 2011/12) doesn't reflect or tie in WDW at all? In other words do you see any coorelation whatsoever between what you see on Disney programming to what you see at WDW? Of course I realize that all the channels that Disney has now including programming on ABC, ABC Family obviously isn't in the business of promoting WDW much. For this discussion forget the fact that every year you do have the Christmas Day Parade on ABC. I just thought of that just a second ago. I am mainly talking about Disney Channel and possibly Radio Disney. I can remember when I first found Radio Disney. Back in the late 90s I woke up early one morning (at my Grandma's house) listening to my Walkman and came across this station that had an ID saying, "We Are All Ears." I was laying in bed thinking to myself, am I listening to WDW radio programming originating from Orlando? I began to get excited. Of course at that time it wasn't. But at that time their radio programming made you feel like -- this is Disney Radio all the way. During that morning they played, A Whole New World (the original song duet) and a bunch of other Disney related songs. Now that all this tween (early teenage) programming keeps invading on all fronts, it's like I don't see the connection anymore between Disney Channel and WDW. With economy the way that it is, Disney needs to go back to their roots.

fosse76

I thought this might be a good thread. It used to be some time back in the mid 80s the Disney Channel was almost like your one stop channel for information and shows about Disneyland and WDW. It was (esspecially for me) your Disney fix even if you couldn't make it to WDW. For it's time, it was a great way to promote WDW and DL. I think they used to show New Kids on the Block shows from WDW as well. In the 80s/90s, it was where Christina Aguilera, Justin Timberlake and Fergie got their starts. Who ever knew that between Kids Inc. and MMC those shows would be the American Idol for it's time. In fact I think for one of the feature presentation logos or intros it had a video of Mickey on top of Spaceship Earth and castle logos as well. Do you think that all these channels that Disney has put out so far (and more on the way including Disney Junior in 2011/12) doesn't reflect or tie in WDW at all? In other words do you see any coorelation whatsoever between what you see on Disney programming to what you see at WDW? Of course I realize that all the channels that Disney has now including programming on ABC, ABC Family obviously isn't in the business of promoting WDW much. For this discussion forget the fact that every year you do have the Christmas Day Parade on ABC. I just thought of that just a second ago. I am mainly talking about Disney Channel and possibly Radio Disney. I can remember when I first found Radio Disney. Back in the late 90s I woke up early one morning (at my Grandma's house) listening to my Walkman and came across this station that had an ID saying, "We Are All Ears." I was laying in bed thinking to myself, am I listening to WDW radio programming originating from Orlando? I began to get excited. Of course at that time it wasn't. But at that time their radio programming made you feel like -- this is Disney Radio all the way. During that morning they played, A Whole New World (the original song duet) and a bunch of other Disney related songs. Now that all this tween (early teenage) programming keeps invading on all fronts, it's like I don't see the connection anymore between Disney Channel and WDW. With economy the way that it is, Disney needs to go back to their roots.

Disney doesn't need to, not anymore. Time was, the Disney Parks were what was holding the company together. But even now, how many people in the U.S. go to WDW each year? In another thread someone said 5%. Assuming that to be true, not all 5% receive the Disney channel, or watch tv, or listen to the radio, etc. And since programming costs money, and the recent trend (at WDW, anyway) of Disney merely using name recognition, it's just not financially worthwhile.

ABigBrassBand

As much as everyone here would like to see a channel devoted to the parks (which did happen for not too long with the Travel OnDemand Channel), it's a future that can't be attained with the current objectives of the company...now that they can do things other than the parks because they don't have to rely on them to keep the company together, they won't.

Plus, the parks were just getting off the grounds in terms of WDW and expanding to multiple parks, so that was almost necessary.

ScorpionX

As much as everyone here would like to see a channel devoted to the parks (which did happen for not too long with the Travel OnDemand Channel), it's a future that can't be attained with the current objectives of the company...now that they can do things other than the parks because they don't have to rely on them to keep the company together, they won't.

Plus, the parks were just getting off the grounds in terms of WDW and expanding to multiple parks, so that was almost necessary.
Yeah, but that channel just kept posting videos that had nothing to do with the Disney Parks. Just a lot of Hannah Montana music videos. :mad:

stuey222

I'd love to see a "Disney Classic" channel. Give info/programs on parks, classic non-animation Disney movies, classic Walt-created cartoons, and other various old Disney TV programs.

Thumbelina

I wish we had a classic Disney channel as well. Thank God for youtube so i can still watch the old fashion Mickey Cartoons and stuff.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom