Disney by your onesies?

LilTahoeMama

Original Poster
We're leaving for our cross country adventure to WDW in 23 days, arriving in 26. My husband isn't necessarily excited about the trip to Disney as he's never had interest in it. As a child, his parents asked him and his brothers if they wanted to go to Disney or camping. They unanimously chose camping, (BOO!) so he's never had a desire to go. He agreed to the trip because well.. I'm a spoiled princess lol He won't sulk or pout while there and I know he'll have a good time, but mostly he's just along for the ride. We're going with our 2 kids (5 and almost 2) so here's my question: We're staying at Shades of Green so we can use the EMH but I'd like to keep my kids somewhat on schedule for bed time (of course they'll have at least 1 late night for the parades and shows -I'm not a total party pooper lol). They're cranky beasts if not. Anyone ever leave everyone behind while they sleep and hit up the park(s) for their own enjoyment? Hubby doesn't do coasters either so I could do those on my own without feeling like I left him there holding my purse lol My best friend and her family will also be with us, but she's not staying on resort, so the most she can do is walk around, again with the whole holding the purse thing.

LilTahoeMama

Original Poster
Do I get the prize for actually finding the question ?

And in answer to it - no, Disney is about family (didn't Stitch say that ?). You don't go sneaking off alone while everyone is sleeping

lol no one is "sneaking off". My husband is an early to bed guy because he's military. I'm a night owl, often up until 2 or 3 am and my kids are early to bed, early to rise as well. It's the norm to average 4 hours a night for me, so why not take advantage of that and do what I *can't* do (and what they can't or don't want to do) while they're asleep? You make it sound like I'm tip toeing out the room, making sure to hit no squeaky boards or that the door doesn't click too loud on my way out. It's not like that at all lol

EmmieSue

We're leaving for our cross country adventure to WDW in 23 days, arriving in 26. My husband isn't necessarily excited about the trip to Disney as he's never had interest in it. As a child, his parents asked him and his brothers if they wanted to go to Disney or camping. They unanimously chose camping, (BOO!) so he's never had a desire to go. He agreed to the trip because well.. I'm a spoiled princess lol He won't sulk or pout while there and I know he'll have a good time, but mostly he's just along for the ride. We're going with our 2 kids (5 and almost 2) so here's my question: We're staying at Shades of Green so we can use the EMH but I'd like to keep my kids somewhat on schedule for bed time (of course they'll have at least 1 late night for the parades and shows -I'm not a total party pooper lol). They're cranky beasts if not. Anyone ever leave everyone behind while they sleep and hit up the park(s) for their own enjoyment? Hubby doesn't do coasters either so I could do those on my own without feeling like I left him there holding my purse lol My best friend and her family will also be with us, but she's not staying on resort, so the most she can do is walk around, again with the whole holding the purse thing.

As much as Disney is a family vacation, it is also just a vacation and sometimes you just need a little time to yourself where you can do what you enjoy instead of just doing what everyone else wants to do. I've seen plenty of people on here saying they go off for some time to enjoy themselves. I travel with my sister's family. Those kids can't handle the late nights, but that doesn't mean I am going to waste time sitting in the hotel room wide awake while they all go to bed. :) I think it's a pretty important part of being "stuck" with the same people in one place for a long period of time. I love my family. I love spending time with them, but I love my alone time too.

PoorSkippy

I actually snuck off alone to go to Animal Kingdom on Christmas Day once while my family was sleeping (I mean, they knew, but didn't care because it was Ak and they knew I just wanted time to see the animals without being rushed). I wasn't missing any valuable time with them, and I enjoyed myself immensely and made a great memory. If your husband is okay with it, I say do it! You deserve it. Maximize your trip.

PenguinPrincess

Absolutely you should go! Enjoy yourself...it's your vacation, too!!! Sounds like a win/win situation...you get your coasters, and no one has to wait around for you. Perfect!

mouse_luv

I say go for it, just be very aware of the SOG bus times at the park at night. They don't run buses as long as the "Disney" resorts and often get very busy and crowded at night. I'd hate for you to be stuck because you missed the last bus to Shades of Green or something.
I've stayed there many of times in the past because dad is retired military. And yes, this has happened to us once.
Have fun!

Cosmic Commando

Absolutely go for it! I've done it on both ends... I've gotten my family tucked in at night and then gone back to the parks until 2 AM. I also ran to DHS one morning to do ToT and RnRC at rope drop and was back to the room before my wife woke up (that was pre-kids, otherwise they would have been bouncing off the walls as soon as the sun rose!). I would never leave them if they were awake, but if they're asleep, what's the harm?

LdyApxr

As a wife to a 28yr AF vet who is an early, early morning person and an early to bed person(and he is in his 60's now so that is not likely to change and I am an night owl/imsomniac LOL) and also a husband who goes to DLR with us under duress, and then says "This was a good idea!", I can totally sympathize! We have done parks on our own or one of us with the kids several times. Our sons are 26 and 17 and we did not take our youngest until he was 6(I don't do Disney if they cannot walk on their own LOL) and in 2006 we went and I was sooo sick for three days so my husband and younger son went to the parks by themselves and our older son(who was a teen) went with his gf and they just met up to eat and ride back to the hotel(when we used to drive in). In 2013 we took our teenager and his two cousins(will never do that again, satan spawn) and at one point my husband took the nephews in because Ri does not like ToT or Screamin' and my husband does and so did the nephews so Ri and I went back to the GC and they went on those rides. I don't think it is an issue.

I also suffer from chronic migraines that are not predictable and have missed several race weekends while sitting at the hotel(motorcycle races) while my husband, youngest son and niece went to the races. Did I miss some great things while sitting back medicated at the hotel? Yes, would I have wanted them to stay with me and miss those great things? Not a chance.

kimberlymautz

If your husband is game, then go for it! It's a vacation for everyone and if you're going to be up that late you may as well use it to do the things that would soak up your kids' time the next day. Have a fun trip!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom