Disney Buying LucasFilm! WHOA

sublimesting

My brain is still reeling!!! I woke up this morning and said to my DW "Disney has given me a wonderful Halloween present!!!!"

I would love to see a movie based around Luke as an older Jedi (a'la' Obi One Kenobi in SW) training younger Jedi as the Empire covertly gains back power and influence under the guide of a as of now hidden Sith presence, You really would have to have some of the older characters in it to truly continue the franchise at Episode 7 I would think, otherwise it is just a new telling of stories.

Can we now get our Cantina restaurant?!!?

jam814

The difference is that Disney didnt have much of a relationship with Marvel prior to the purchase. Disney has a long history with Lucas and probably has a lot of ride proposals sitting on the shelves.
well said.

With the new films now coming out Star Wars will be even more relevent again. Star wars covers a much bigger generational gap and will continue to be relevent well into the future if/when disney consistently puts out new material.

djkidkaz

DHS is definitely setup for success right at this moment. Replace Indy stunt show with the Indy ride, expand the Star Wars area with shops and a restaurant, replace backlot and LMA with Carsland, add the monsters inc coaster and get rid of the hat and we're golden!

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Is Leai now an official Disney Princess?
Yes. :D

disney-princess-leia.jpg

CinematicFusion

The difference is that Disney didnt have much of a relationship with Marvel prior to the purchase. Disney has a long history with Lucas and probably has a lot of ride proposals sitting on the shelves.
Hope you are right,if so we should be hearing about a new Star Wars ride in the theme parks real soon...say dec 7th!

sgtmgd

Lucas specifically mentions the possibility of park expansion if you listen carefully to the presser...very good news for Disney moving forward

wsmith1978

How about turning Avartarland into Star Wars land instead??!! :D

Just as many interesting creatures, incredible landscapes, and better characters!

fractal

snipit from Wall Street Journal article on deal...

"Disney's theme parks will also get a boost, developing rides related to the
characters and bolstering its stock of characters targeted at boys, something
it said it needed when it bought Marvel. Videogames and television are other
areas the company hopes to move into more aggressively.

The purchase price may seem steep. But pushing a proven set of characters
through the Disney machine sounds a lot more attractive than making big new
bets like box-office flop "John Carter.""

CinematicFusion

While i would love an announcement that soon, that would be extremely quick. Hopefully starwars expansion takes the place of carsland for the time being. I think merchandise wise SW definitely holds it's own. This should definitively be put on the front burner now. it'll attract the boys and the all those ravid fans. this is the only true potter swatter if there is one. Start the DHS expansion/renovation with this and monsters inc. coaster and slowly expand pixar place. backlot tour can be used for much more than just carsland. while i'd take anything we can get i feel that carsland should stay as DCA exclusive.

My opinion only but if they don't announce soon and they wait till next year, we are looking at a minimum of 4 years to see anything new that is Star Wars related.
I'm just basing this on Disney's past track record

SirLink

How about turning Avartarland into Star Wars land instead??!! :D

Just as many interesting creatures, incredible landscapes, and better characters!

As much as I could be seen as being less enthusiastic about Pandora. Star Wars nope, nadda, never into DAK - they have characters but they haven't fleshed out the flora and fauna of Star Wars.

jam814

My opinion only but if they don't announce soon and they wait till next year, we are looking at a minimum of 4 years to see anything new that is Star Wars related.
I'm just basing this on Disney's past track record
understandable considering works at a snails pace. i think D23 would be more plausible. but i'm sure they already have mock ups of how to to go about a star wars land. so it's probably possible that in about amonth to have an announcment. regardless i think shortly after the new sw film comes out there will be the expansion will open.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
Personal opinion here, and yes, this is coming from someone who was quietly optimistic about Pandora.

Stop all work on Avatar. Cameron is going to slow down the development on that sucker anyway, might as well keep that pace slow. Bump the target date for this area out a few years, keep it in line with the sequel release dates.
Fasttrack Lucasland in DHS, ready for open in 2015 to coincide with Star Wars 7.
Dust off the Tron coaster and skin it as a speederbike ride through the woods of Endor (you already have the Ewok village right there in front of Star Tours, just extend it.
Pull the trigger on the parking structure for DHS so you can reclaim that parking lot space for expansion.
Kill Stunt-show. Clone Indy from DL.
Clone-Wars related stage-show (keeping with the DHS preferred stage show)
Walk-through environments themed to the nines, full immersion in the world.

Continue with plans for expansion of Pixar-place, but stagger it:
Lucasland - 2015
Pandora - 2016
Pixar Place - 2017

JCtheparrothead

What if the Carsland addition was never really going to be themed for Cars, same ride technology and similar layout but for Star Wars. The rumors for Carsland began right about that same time that WDI was out at Skywalker ranch. I am pretty sure that someone posted an idea about RSR ride tech with Pod Racers coverings...awesome. Mos Eisley is in the desert and the Cantina could easily take the place of Flo's diner. Easy to replicate and DL is happy about keeping their CarsLand and WDW gets Mos Eisley. A man can dream right!:D

Prototype82

I pray they finish Pandora before they get too involved with anything else. However, they can work on the Mos Eisley Cantina at the same time...

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Personal opinion here, and yes, this is coming from someone who was quietly optimistic about Pandora.

Stop all work on Avatar. Cameron is going to slow down the development on that sucker anyway, might as well keep that pace slow. Bump the target date for this area out a few years, keep it in line with the sequel release dates.
Fasttrack Lucasland in DHS, ready for open in 2015 to coincide with Star Wars 7.
Dust off the Tron coaster and skin it as a speederbike ride through the woods of Endor (you already have the Ewok village right there in front of Star Tours, just extend it.
Pull the trigger on the parking structure for DHS so you can reclaim that parking lot space for expansion.
Kill Stunt-show. Clone Indy from DL.
Clone-Wars related stage-show (keeping with the DHS preferred stage show)
Walk-through environments themed to the nines, full immersion in the world.

Continue with plans for expansion of Pixar-place, but stagger it:
Lucasland - 2015
Pandora - 2016
Pixar Place - 2017
There is no reason that they can not work on both at whatever pace they choose. While many of us see the parks at WDW as one entity they are all their run like their own separate companies. They all have needs and you simply can not put of the needs of one over the other. While it would certainly seem like they do that, there is no reason that a major expansion can not happen simultaneously at multiple parks.

sshindel

The Epcot Manifesto
There is no reason that they can not work on both at whatever pace they choose. While many of us see the parks at WDW as one entity they are all their run like their own separate companies. They all have needs and you simply can not put of the needs of one over the other. While it would certainly seem like they do that, there is no reason that a major expansion can not happen simultaneously at multiple parks.
True, and in order to get Pandora and Lucasland up within a year, they will have to be working on them simultaneously. This is more to the "spread the budget" and "stagger the openings" for the media presence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom