Disney Bus Service

jback93

I am trying to decide if I should get a rental car for our upcoming trip. We are staying at Pop Century for 4 nights. Also we are traveling with our 9 month old son. We well be park hopping and visiting some of the resorts. How efficient is the bus system? Should we get a car because of junior? Thanks

napnet

The bus service is rather good. The only time I have ever had a complaint is when leaving the park late at night with the huge crowds. Other than that, i think they are one of the better bus systems around.

Upvote 0

hansel1

I concur with napnet. The bus service is great and only at park close did we experience tight busses because of all the crowds trying to get back to their resorts at the same time. You can pretty much schedule around that though.

Upvote 0

Lefty

Pop Century definitely has fantastic bus service. I believe Magic Kingdom actually has two separate stops for PC alone. I went there earlier this month and didn't have to wait more than 10 minutes at any time, any place.

Upvote 0

MSTINKHERBELL01

I am def. agreeing with everyone regarding Pop's buses. Because the resort is so huge the Bus system runs often. I have had no trouble with transportation there at all...even when it was peak season. :wave: Have fun!

Upvote 0

dreamscometrue

The bus service we experienced at Pop in late Dec. and early Jan. was as good as any resort. Unlike the All-Stars where we stayed before, Pop does not share a bus service. In 10 days, there were only 2 occasions where we waited more than 10-12 min. for a bus to leave the resort or return. We may have just been lucky, but we took a lot of buses and 10 min. or less was the norm.

Upvote 0

shoppingnut

It's only four days, don't bother with a car. If you get a car you will have to drag the luggage and everything else to it, but by using DME all your luggage goes straight to the hotel room and you only have to worry about the stroller and maybe a carryon bag or two. If you drive to the parks, you are going to have to get the stroller on/off the trams anyway, so, it's just the same as doing for the bus and it will be one less expense.

The bus service runs quite well at Pop, I've stayed there quite a few times and never had a problem.

Upvote 0

queenie0888

We just returned from a stay at Pop Centrury and the bus service was the BEST that we have ever had at any of the resorts we have stayed at. The longest wait we had was about 20 minutes for a bus going to Downtown Disney. Other than that the waits were minimal. can't wait to plan our next trip and I would without a doubt stay at POP again.

Upvote 0

wannab@dis

The only time the bus system is less than stellar is when you want to go from one resort to another. There's two ways to do that. First, grab the first bus you see to a park (preferrably a close park) and then transfer to a bus going to your destination resort. When it works right, it's not that bad. However, you can get to the park and have to wait a while for a bus to your destination.

The second is to call Guest Services from your room and have then get a taxi for you. That's what we did in Dec and it worked fine. The trips between resorts by taxi is not that expensive and even if you have a few trips, it would still be cheaper than getting a rental.

Enjoy your trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

swimmom

Can't speak from any expeience from PC, but as others has said, the only time the busses are really packed is at park closings. If we need to be somewhere at a particular time, we allow 1 hour to get there. We always get to our destination before the hour and then have time to check out the resort.

We have always used Disney transportation, and never considered renting a car.

Upvote 0

TTFN-Tiggger

I just returned 4 days ago from Pop. It was the first time that I used the bus service. The longest wait we had was just over 15 minutes and that was to go to DTD. Other than that our wait time was very minimal - I will definately use the bus service on my next trip!

Upvote 0

steveNJ

It's the best bus service in all of WDW! :D

but in reality it's very good. Never had a need or want for a car (except once when running late for dinner at california grill).

Upvote 0

jback93

Original Poster
Thanks for all the replies, I think you have maybe swayed me to the bus system. I did have a great deal on a car for a mid-size $109. How were the bus wait times for Extra Magic Hours in the morning?

Upvote 0

napnet

jback93 said:
Thanks for all the replies, I think you have maybe swayed me to the bus system. I did have a great deal on a car for a mid-size $109. How were the bus wait times for Extra Magic Hours in the morning?

I did EMH from Pop to Epcot and i think i caught the 2nd bus. I had to wait maybe 10 minutes.

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

You probably wouldn't use the car much, but I'd say get it for a couple of reasons...

1: If you plan on going to any of other resorts as you claim to, that could take significantly longer if you miss a connection, and if you, for instance, wanted to go to a park, then a resort for dinner, and then back to PC, you could have some long wait times. The service is quite good going from place to place; it's when you have to make connections that you deal with the potential misery. Not such a big deal if it was just the two of you, but that brings me to my second point...

2: The kid. At 9 months old, it might behoove you to be able to make a quick getaway for any reason, not the least of which is that the hot Florida sun could really scramble anyone's brains, let alone an infant. Plus, it gives you an option to leave all sorts of necessities in the car, close enough to fetch, without having to lug things around. And if the kid has a tantrum, and you just have to leave right away, I'm sure that even the most understanding parkgoer would appreciate not being on a bus with a crying child. Plus, having the car ont the way to/from the airport, it'll be easier to pull over right away if any sort of accident should happen.

I'm not putting down the bus service at all, I just think that, if your budget allows a car, it's always good for people with babies to get one. It's a prepared-for-anything kinda deal.

Upvote 0

Scooter

I quit renting a car 12 years ago.

It just sat in the parking lot the whole time we had it.
Disney Transportation is Fantastic.:sohappy:

Upvote 0

Nepal

jback93 said:
I am trying to decide if I should get a rental car for our upcoming trip. We are staying at Pop Century for 4 nights. Also we are traveling with our 9 month old son. We well be park hopping and visiting some of the resorts. How efficient is the bus system? Should we get a car because of junior? Thanks

Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

mcminnie

They seem to lay on more buses for Pop Century and the All Stars than anywhere else. People were always complaining about it in the queues, 2 of those buses would come before there own one. Also we left before 9 for Epcot on the bus and passed the big lines of cars waiting at the toll plaza - mustn't have been letting them in till 9. We found the buses a better option for getting about but remember you are stuck within the Disney area. If you need to go to supermarkets, malls and any non-Disney dining get a car.

Upvote 0

dvcnut39

napnet said:
The bus service is rather good. The only time I have ever had a complaint is when leaving the park late at night with the huge crowds. Other than that, i think they are one of the better bus systems around.

I also agree. We usually drove to WDW and used our own vehicle to get around, but this year we flew and used Disney's transportation. We thought it was great and very efficient. We also had a little one in a stroller and had no problem.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom