Disney after surgery...

laynalee07

Original Poster
So my hubby and I will be traveling to Disney 1 1/2 weeks after I have surgery to repair an umbilical hernia :(... (Not to mention this is my 30th birthday trip- we are actually leaving to go there on my birthday)
Not thrilled about this AT ALL,
But we have had this trip planned for a year and I don't want to cancel. We are finally getting back to our honeymoon resort (wilderness lodge) and I don't want to lose the reservation since we are DVC and have to reserve the room at the seven month window.
So , just wondering if you guys think this is a crazy idea to go through with this or if y'all would go ahead with our initial plans?
My husband said we will just have to take it super easy
And not ride many rides.
Any opinions or ideas would be greatly appreciated!

CheekBoys

I have never personally booked a trip with me being younger, but I think if you aren't going to have as much fun with your initial plans I would say you should delay it until you have recovered from the surgery.

R W B

I say go for it! Idk how you and your husband usually do the parks but my fiancé thinks the entire week is a sprint race so if given the opportunity to go for a week and must take it slow, I would jump at it lol. Just stroll around the parks, do a couple boat rides, go to other resorts on property you usually don't or don't have time for. Do it! Lol

DisneyPrincess5

So my hubby and I will be traveling to Disney 1 1/2 weeks after I have surgery to repair an umbilical hernia :(... (Not to mention this is my 30th birthday trip- we are actually leaving to go there on my birthday)
But we have had this trip planned for a year and I don't want to cancel. We are finally getting back to our honeymoon resort (wilderness lodge) and I don't want to lose the reservation since we are DVC and have to reserve the room at the seven month window.
So , just wondering if you guys think this is a crazy idea to go through with this or if y'all would go ahead with our initial plans?
And not ride many rides.
Ugh sorry to hear this-how unfun! Hope you'll be ok and hope it goes well.

As I know you already realize, go by what your MD says. If he/she says take it easy, I would adhere to this. I don't know what that kind of surgery is like but with some surgery (I think mostly laparoscopic or minor) you could be back to a normal routine in a few days.
Regardless I would take it easy and maybe not over-eat per the location of the hernia. And you want to feel good regardless.

Good luck!!!

DisneyRoy

It shouldn't be too bad. I had hernia repair surgery last year and after 5 days, felt great. 2 weeks post surgery I was back to 100% normal. So while you might feel it a little bit after walking all day, I think you should be fine. But always get the ok from the doctor to be safe. Good luck and have fun!

JohnD

If you're up for it, I say go. However, because of recovering and potential strain from walking, have you considered a wheelchair? I went with my folks several weeks ago. My mother required a wheelchair because her feet just can't take all the walking.

We were still able to do just about everything we wanted to do. With the exception of certain rides. You, for example, may want to stay away from roller coasters but all "slow rides" (HM, POTC, SE, Soarin', Safaris) are fair game. There are also the shows and just strolling around. Plenty to do and still enjoy.

We brought a wheelchair with us. It saved on the headache of picking one up on arrival in a park and leaving it on departure.

cw1982

So he said I should be fine to go!!!!.... I just can't lift anything. So looks like the hubby will be having to deal with my luggage ;)

Glad it worked out! I haven't had a hernia repair, but several of my friends have, and from my recollection all of them were pretty much back to 100% or near it after a week, other than not lifting anything. Just make sure you don't overdo it! Have fun :)

Cubfan300

I broke my foot in three places in Daytona Beach on a one day vacation the day before driving over to the World. I think that the best advice is to take it easy and if you need a wheelchair or scooter, then order one.

yensid67

So happy for you, Laynalee !!!! As your Doc said, you should be fine and good to go...I would just take heed when your body is telling you to slow down. I know its Disney and you will be excited, but it would be no fun if you had to go to the ER, or rest a few days in your room...because you didn't heed the warnings! JUST BE CAREFUL...and oh, by the way...try not to pack TOO MUCH and take it easy on your hubby since he has to carry the luggage!

Capt Hook

Just like others have said, plan on taking it easy. I had a similar experience about 14 years ago tearing ligaments in my ankle while at work 3 weeks before going. I got the OK from my Dr and DW and I had a great trip. I was forced to slow down and we saw and did things that we had never experienced before because we are almost always in a rush while at WDW. Enjoy your trip.

Club Cooloholic

If you can cancel it and not lose too much cash, I would, just in case you have any complications, that would be worse. Bank those points and make it a better trip for later!

Jjvardy

And not ride many rides.
My question would be, how are you getting there? Are you driving or flying? Either way it has it's problems. You could still be in the zone of developing a Pulmonary Embolus. Also the degree of your hernia would be a factor. Do they just use a stitch to repair or a patch. The latter is more involved. Just a couple things to look at even before you get to the parks.

OnyxNine

If you don't want to cancel your trip. My advice will be, follow the doctor's instructions. Some rides may be too jumpy for someone recovering from surgery, so choose wisely. Also, remember the parks are usually crowded, people will bump into your hubby, and people also push in the lines.
I dared to go to the parks 3 months after I had a lower back surgery. My friends always surrounded me like bodyguards to keep people away from me, which I really appreciated. I avoided most of the thrill rides for a whole year. But I enjoyed shows, window shopping, rides like pirates of the Caribbean, and just to sit around and watch the people pass by.
Enjoy your vacation, and advice your hubby not to over do it. If he wants to stay in the hotel, and not go out, encourage him to let you know. Is better to take a day off from vacation, than hurt himself for vacations sake.

MaryJaneP

shouldnt be a problem.

iv had the same kind of hernia op and honestly i was fine afterwards, a week and a half will be enough time to be completely recovered.

Agree 100%. I had umbilical hernia repair and I was walking around 2 days later. Lifting was restricted for 6-8 weeks. I would follow Dr's advice, take it slow, avoid jostlin rides, and enjoy some relaxation while recuperating, if you can take it easy. Good luck and let us know that the surgery and visit went as expected.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom