Disney 1st time with Tall Toddler

AngelaKaye

Original Poster
Okay, I feel like this thread has an odd title, but I hope it makes sense!

First question is this: Which type of stroller is best to bring - our heavy duty Britax B-Ready or a light-weight umbrella stroller (I was looking at Kolcraft Cloud Sport for price and accessories - cup holders, tray, and large basket). My husband thinks the Britax but I want an umbrella stroller. My daughter is 2 going on 3 soon, but she's very tall for her age (wears 4T) and is almost 40 lbs. I feel like pushing her in a big, heavy stroller will just become overwhelming day after day. But maybe the Britax will be more comfortable for her. No idea. (And yes, she's a runner, so I hope to keep her in the stroller when possible, even though she's fine to walk)

Second question: since she is taller, will she be able to go on more rides than most 2-year olds?

Thanks for any advice you can offer!

Schneewittchen

Once my kids turned 2, we started using umbrella strollers - the cheapest ones Babies R Us carries. They fold up easily for Disney transportation and for storage I just hook the arms of a mini backpack around the 2 handles.

As far as rides go, it's all about height requirements, there are only a couple of age restrictions. http://www.wdwmagic.com/height-and-age-restrictions.htm

We're going to WDW in about a month and my almost 4 year old is 42 inches, so we are good for most rides.

Weather_Lady

I'd stick with a lightweight umbrella stroller, and if you're taking a nap break in the middle of the day, I'd only bother to use it during the evening, when it's more likely that your daughter will be getting tired. Of course, you know your child and her stamina best, so YMMV. As for attractions, she'll be able to do the vast majority of them -- pretty much everything except some of the more intense rollercoasters and simulators. Here's the height requirements: http://www.bestoforlando.com/articles/can-you-ride-check-walt-disney-worlds-height-requirements/

When my daughter first visited WDW, she had just turned four, but she, too, was tall for her age, energetic and athletic. Because we took daily naps after lunch, she never had to be on her feet for more than 4-5 hours even though we were arriving pre-rope drop every day and touring at a fairly steady pace, so we were able to go stroller-free. I realize, however, that there's a world of difference between 2-going-on-3 and just-turned-4, so going without a stroller may be unrealistic for your daughter.

Disneydreamer23

Agree as above , I had a jeep Cherokee stroller its 40.00 but very comfy for the child a lot of space and reclines, I got it from Walmart I have used it for 4 trips and its still works AMAZING! My daughter is 2 but very tall she is 40'' she went on a lot , DO you know how tall your child is?

RememberWhen

When we went in September 2014, DS was 2 and change. We rented a city mini since we didn't want to deal with the stroller in the airport. It was great. A minor pain on the busses, but worth it for the comfort. We really loved that the shade pulled down all the way so he could block out the sun and sights. He only napped in it a couple of times, but it was good for pushing around. Personally I have a hard time pushing umbrella strollers around. The wheels are poor quality and it's hard to steer. Your experience may be different. If I was going to buy one I would definitely want to try it out first.
DS is also on the taller side. He was just over 38" and loves the "big coasters" like 7DMT and barnstormer.
We're headed back in 42 days(!) and are not planning to bring a stroller, but may rent one at the park if it seems necessary.

CaptainAmerica

I really hate the cheap umbrella strollers and would recommend a more mid-level "lightweight" stroller. I highly recommend the Babies R Us Zobo stroller. The basket sucks but everything else about it is fantastic.

AngelaKaye

Original Poster
Appreciate the feedback everyone! There is a consignment shop near my home - maybe it would be worth it to check out their strollers before purchasing anything else. I'll definitely look into a better quality umbrella stoller. And we're FL residents, so we don't need to worry about taking it on a flight.

jaklgreen

I would also recommend a stroller that reclines. The heat and all of the stimulation is a good combo to have the toddler just rest for a while. We would find a shady quiet spot a couple of times a day for our girls to rest. And I think all 2-3 year olds are "runners". LOL

mimitchi33

Maybe you should rent one at the park itself? I used a stroller because of my arthritis up until I turned ten.
Also, have fun!

DisneyFans4Life

I would skip the umbrella stroller and go for your other one. Umbrella strollers are light weight and everything, but like another poster said...they can be hard to steer and don't have a lot of storage. My daughter just turned two and when we go to the parks, we have a lunch bag with her pouches and lunchable and then we have the diaper bag with pull ups and dry snacks. There is also the chance your daughter may be riding more than walking, so might as well make sure she's comfortable.

SAV

Another vote for a mid-sized stroller. We tried a jeep umbrella stroller the first trip and it was awful. Didn't recline and since it was during the summer, the rubber(or whatever it was) on the wheels actually fell off because it got too hot and expanded. It also didn't have a tray for me to use while pushing it or a basket. The mid-sized ones have everything the travel one does, but smaller. A tray for me, one for the kids, a good sized basket for everything else, a shade on top for sun protection and they fold up easily. Another thing is the umbrella strollers have that flimsy plastic foot rest and the mid-sized ones have a nice hard plastic one that their feet don't slip off of.

The mid-sized one we bought actually became our go to stroller for 2 kids. We took that thing everywhere.

NelleBelle

I wouldn't rent a stroller at the park--those things are horribly uncomfortable for kids to nap in (an your daughter may end up doing just that). Depending how tall YOU are, I'd stay away from those cheap umbrella strollers; besides being a terrible to push due to wheel-size, if you are on the tall side, you will have an enormous back ache from stooping to push the stroller all day!! We made the mistake of bringing our "cadillac" stroller the 1st go-around to WDW...it was a HUGE Graco that fully reclined, seat could lift off and reverse, giant basket, and folded into the size of a Suburban on steroids!! Lesson learned--we got an "umbrella"-like Chico Echo stroller that folded compactly, but also reclined, had a sunshade, and had an ok basket. It was SO much better!
Echo_handel_alt.jpg
Echo_recline_alt.jpg
Echo _TurquoiseHi.jpg

LSUxStitch

We have the B-Ready and that thing is NOT coming on a trip to Disney with us. It's so unwieldy and not good for tight spaces. On top of all that, it's HEAVY.

We went with the GB QBit lightweight stroller and while it may be on the pricier side, we couldn't be happier. It's easy to fold one handed, it's light and I can put it inbetween my legs and stand over it when on public transportation, if needed. It's very high quality too, the sun shade is really nice, although I wish it had a peek window. We take this one out nowadays instead of the BReady at home b/c of it's ease of use. The basket on it is small, but easily accessible, unlike many of the umbrella ones like ZOBO.

Can't wait to use this one on our upcoming trip, should make at least ONE thing easier for us.

Noellikechristmas

I'm going to vote for the mid-size stroller. I have a Britax B agile and I took this last year and will take it again in October. I would be open to taking the stroller NelleBelle suggested, but I'm cheap, so I'll take mine. I think for a smaller child, it should be comfortable for them to sleep in and should have a good shade for them. I don't like that your average umbrella stroller does not recline and the Disney ones do recline and look uncomfortable (for smaller children).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom