Discovery Island

Tinkerbell1220

Original Poster
this may be the wrong place to post this but if someone could fill me in if Discovery Island is a past attraction?? Sorry If I am really behind the times but I have been out of the Disney loop for a couple of Years...And if it is closed what did they do with all of the Animals.... Thanks for the information...

Discovery Island was/is an island off the coast of Fort Wilderness. You used to be abot to go and spend a few hours loking at the different species of birds. They also had a bird show, gators and turtles. You clud also feed flamingos. Discovery Island saw it's demise shortly after AK opened. Now it is home to some migratory birds.

mrtoad

It started as Treasure Island way back in the day. When I was a kid we went on a pirate excursion there at night. It was basically so parents could go to dinner and they could sign their kids up for this trip.

We went on a pontoon boat with a bunch of pirates and roasted marshmellows on the beach and then had a treasure hund. I found one item but don't remember what, just that it was under some palm tree fronds (is that the correct word).

From what I hear they still have the same trip, it just goes somewhere else.

Anyway, after Treasure Island it became Discovery Island and now it is bird preserve.

I always wanted to go when it was Discovery Island but my parents did not want to go.

Dr.Seeker

I went and it was sort of like a nature reserve with hammocks and stuff. I can just picture some kind of 'Animal Farm' thing happening now with the birds in charge. Freaky.

MichRX7

Premium Member
mrtoad said:
I always wanted to go when it was Discovery Island but my parents did not want to go.

You should get off the computer, pick up the phone, call your parents and thank them for loving you so much that they denied your request to go to Discovery Island.

My Mom got free tickets one time (they were hurting to get people to go there) and it was awful. I'm sure there were people out there who liked the Island, but as a kid I had a terrible time. Mid-Summer, super-high humidity, really smelly birds, not a good thing. That and I should have been on Space Mountain instead.

Now, had they sent me on that cool Pirate Cruise I might have felt differently about it...

mrtoad

MichRX7 said:
Now, had they sent me on that cool Pirate Cruise I might have felt differently about it...
I have to admit, I had a good life growing up. My family had the best times.

MichRX7

Premium Member
I feel the same way, having schoolteacher parents we traveled a lot (mostly to FL), and as I got older and studied history I had a much greater appreciation given that most of the places we talked about I had already visited.

I just never got to be a pirate... :( Maybe I can take my two boys there and chaperone. :lol:

Bob Haller

Hey it was nice, remember all the birds foot prints in the concrete sidewalks. I wondered along the beach once and got yelled at for checking out the area isolation area for new atrrivals. they got accredited for wildlife then sited for poor treatment.

if you rent a private boat you could probably get pretty close to the island?

One hot summer day me and my wife took a wonderful break motoring around the lake and checking out the water bridge.

Much better than walking in the heat:)

ASHWALES

i loved dicovery island very qaint little pace very informal not really disney pazzaz its was relaxing couple of hours away from the busy parks

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom