disappointed

Dwarful

Original Poster
we had free passes to see Jungle Book 2. I can't tell you how disappointed I was. We spent $30 on popcorn, soda, candy etc. but we got in for free. But the movie wasn't even 1 1/2 hours long and just seemed like something more appropriate for ToonDisney not a movie theater. If I had paid for 5 tickets instead of getting in free I would have been really unhappy. The movie was cute, yes, but it wasn't theater quality in my own opinion. The other thing I noticed was that DIsney had several movie trailers for several different movies. just wondered what others thought.

EchoOfOphelia

Yeah the Disney sequels (with the exception of Toy Story 2, but I think that's more Pixar's doin than Disney) really aren't worth seeing in the theater. The time and care just isn't put into them like their originals. Which is really disappointing!

WDW1971

Just watching the trailers makes me wonder why this wasn't a straight-to-video deal, ala Lion King 2. I think LK2 was probably closer to being a theatrical release than JB2. It is hard to recapture the original after so many years. It's been nearly 40 years or right at it, right?

BRER STITCH

WOW!

My sister said it was only an hour and 15 minutes - WITH THE CREDITS!

Also, I have a pass that I might use tonight, so I'll pop back in with my thoughts after I see it.....

The main thing that bothers me is - if they went to all the trouble of having Phil Collins do a character voice in the movie, why didn't they have him do some new music for the film?????

"The Bare Necessities" can only be sung so many times in a film before the audience catches on.....and even my niece and nephew (5+7) didn't like the one new song they added.

Oh well.....such is the state of things at Disney Animation these days......

:(

CAPTAIN HOOK

Are we witnessing the start of the decline of Disney ?? More and more threads about WDW in a poor state of repair, hours being chopped off opening times, the ending of sponsorship deals, and, poor quality film releases.
Just my thoughts :mad:

WDWspider

Gosh I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish. I thought it was excellent. It was the perfect length for the age group of audience that we had in the theater. The kids found it extremly funny and my son loved it. The songs were nice and a lot of the original flavor was intact. I dunno, I guess the atmosphere made the difference for me.

MKCustodial

Originally posted by spider-man
Gosh I really enjoyed this movie from start to finish. I thought it was excellent. It was the perfect length for the age group of audience that we had in the theater. The kids found it extremly funny and my son loved it. The songs wqere nice and a lot of the original flavor was intact. I dunno, I guess the atmosphere made the difference for me.

It opens Friday down here, and I have the feeling I'll like it. Also, it's 4th on the top ten for 2 weeks, so I don't think it's all that bad.

njchris65

I'm not sure why the length was a problem. Many Disney movies were shorter than a regular movie.

Here's some that I looked up:

Jungle Book - 78 mins (that's close to what you saw in Jungle book II)

101 Dalmations - 79 mins

Alice in Wonderland - 75 mins

Snow White 84 mins

and a couple that are a tad longer

Beauty & the beast - 90 mins

Hercules - 93 minutes

Hunchback - 91 minutes

MKCustodial

Originally posted by njchris65
I'm not sure why the length was a problem. Many Disney movies were shorter than a regular movie.

Here's some that I looked up:

Jungle Book - 78 mins (that's close to what you saw in Jungle book II)

101 Dalmations - 79 mins

Alice in Wonderland - 75 mins

Snow White 84 mins

and a couple that are a tad longer

Beauty & the beast - 90 mins

Hercules - 93 minutes

Hunchback - 91 minutes

You forgot about Dumbo. That's probably the shortest, 63 or 65 minutes, I think.

CREEKWAYNE

I went this past Saturday with the wife and children(ages 5 & 2). They both loved it! My 2 year old didn't move for the 1st 40 minutes.:lookaroun I had to check her pulse a couple of times.:lol: As far as my wife and I. We both though it was cute. Not the best Disney film of a time but nowhere near the worst.

Dwarful

Original Poster
well, as I said in my original post, the movie was cute, but I just didn't feel like it was a top quality disney movie. It wasn't really about the running time, it was more about why did they do JB2 when the first was a classic? Why not take the time to come up with a whole new story, new songs, new characters etc.

My other feeling was sort of like they are mass producing whatever they can at the cheapest prices...lets see we have had off of Pooh The Tigger Movie and now here comes Piglets movie. I am looking forward to seeing Pirates of the Caribbean..that movie looks like it will be worthy of the Disney name.

I just felt that this film should have been a straight to video release. Wouldn't be worth the cost for a family to go if they had to pay for all the tickets..unless you have a $1.00 show near you.(or is that a midwest thing??)

rosie.ca

i am looking forward to pirates of the caribean too! but haunted mansion not so much :( *shame since it is my fav ride of all time*
i too wish the sequels on some movies were a bit better especially the ones they put in theaters since i love animation so much ... i wanted to go into animation as a job but ended up going to college for something else

darthdarrel

I thought that Jungle book 2 was really cute! I really enjoyed myself,I to am looking forward to seeing Pirates of the Carribean,but I am also looking forward to seeing the Haunted mansion!:D

BRER STITCH

Originally posted by njchris65

I don't think anyone said the length of the movie was a "problem".

There's lots of Disney movies that are longer too....some PAINFULLY so! :lol:

The real problem is.....this movie is a PRIME example of a cheap rip-off of a classic Original that should have gone straight to video...or even to Saturday Morning cartoon hour. "CUTE" is all it was!

I saw it last night and stick by my earlier comment that the two new songs for the movie are LAME, so much so that they had to sing "Bare Necessities" 3 times, which, ironically, only served to remind me of how much better the Original version of the movie was!!!

It was a mistake to use Phil Collins as a character voice without involving him musically in the score or soundtrack.

Dear Disney,
America is SICK of cheap sequels! Where has the MAGIC gone???
Love, BRER STITCH

NowInc

Why do they keep bringing these sequals to the theaters?

simple..

low cost to make....high profits out of theaters..

Its made its money...and then some ;)

Remember..the shorter a movie is..the higher it can gross (especially a kids movie..where kids see things over and over)

3 hour movies can be shown maybe 3 times at most in a single auditorium...

1 hour movies can be shown up to 9 times in a single day per house...meaning more tickets sold.

DisneyPhD

Thread drift!!!!!!!!!!

Hi Now, haven't seen you around in a while!

:wave:

At least it wasn't one of those 3 short storys like they did with Cinderella and a number of others. I hate that.

Personally I am looking forward to Piglets big movie, my DD loves Winnie the pooh and I think it will be the perfect 1st movie for her. But I have no hopes in it even being close to the many adventure of Winnie the Pooh.

And now I am just bragging.

I am going to WDW in 1 day and 17 hours!!!!!!!!!!!:sohappy:

See you all when I get back

WDWspider

Well, just to add a few things...

this is definitely more than a TV movie sequel.

1. They had a few star voices

2. The animation was much better than say Cinderella II quality.

3. The new songs may not be Classic grade, but they were very good imho.

4. The story was much more worthy of theatre (like Return to Neverland).

On a side note... I would have been disappointed if they had not brought back Bear Necessities, and other key memories from the first movie (the elephants, Kaa, King Louies place, etc...)

And like several have said, it more than made it's money back and all the kids love it. The theatre I was in was having a blast.

I am not a big fan of the sequels, but I have decided to accept them at this point. SOme are bad, some are OK, and some are good. At least Disney isn't trying to put all of them on screen. (Only the better ideas)

MKCustodial

Originally posted by spider-man
Well, just to add a few things...

this is definitely more than a TV movie sequel.

1. They had a few star voices

2. The animation was much better than say Cinderella II quality.

3. The new songs may not be Classic grade, but they were very good imho.

4. The story was much more worthy of theatre (like Return to Neverland).

On a side note... I would have been disappointed if they had not brought back Bear Necessities, and other key memories from the first movie (the elephants, Kaa, King Louies place, etc...)

And like several have said, it more than made it's money back and all the kids love it. The theatre I was in was having a blast.

I am not a big fan of the sequels, but I have decided to accept them at this point. SOme are bad, some are OK, and some are good. At least Disney isn't trying to put all of them on screen. (Only the better ideas)

I totally agree. Just because they're not masterpieces or because they're a bit cheaper to produce, people tend to skip them. As Spidey said, some are good and some are bad. I don't care for Lion King 2, Hunchback 2 or Little Mermaid 2, but I love Lady and the Tramp 2, Return to Neverland, and I have a feeling I'll really like Jungle Book 2 (even though the widow vetoed Louie :mad: :mad: :mad: ).

dreamer

My opinion:

The animation was better than direct-to-video. Beautiful backgrounds and designs. It was superior to the animation of the original JB.

The disappointment was the plot. Too much like number one. Surprise! Shere Khan chases Mowgli and Mowgli gets away.

The first song with the kids singing in the village was great.

I agree with the comment that it's not the best, not the worst.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom