Dinosaur has seen better days

Kamikaze

Gotcha. And it did nothing for you?

I thought CTE was pretty special. I went in June that year, and the new ride-vehicle smell really stuck with me!
Less than nothing. Active hate. Not even 'oh its a walk on, lets do it' - more like its a walk on and someone will give me $20 and then I'll consider riding it.

scoobygirl39541

Dinosaur is my favorite attraction at WDW. Yep. I said it. It always has been. The potential is too great plus I've always loved dinosaurs and I love that ride system. My DREAM would be if they removed all that crappy black light paint and made it truly scary again. Those carno animatronics would be so much more terrifying if they were painted naturally and just lit enough to see them coming at you in the darkness. Your imagination would make it 10x scarier than any black light robot in full lighting will do. I feel sad looking at that first carno thinking how laughable it looks and how scary it could be under less/more appropriate lighting. You shouldn't see the whole thing or the whole space. Currently you can see all the Dino's mechanisms (looking at you sauropod). Way too bright in there.

also please add the excavator coaster!!!

Last edited:

Cmdr_Crimson

It's so strange why they want to neglect this ride and it's three years younger than it's predecessor Indy...I will say that IJA is quite a shaky ride and yet it does pay up on the thrills..And what does Dino have now...
giphy.gif

rreading

Dinosaur is my favorite attraction at WDW. Yep. I said it. It always has been. The potential is too great plus I've always loved dinosaurs and I love that ride system. My DREAM would be if they removed all that crappy black light paint and made it truly scary again. Those carno animatronics would be so much more terrifying if they were painted naturally and just lit enough to see them coming at you in the darkness. Your imagination would make it 10x scarier than any black light robot in full lighting will do. I feel sad looking at that first carno thinking how laughable it looks and how scary it could be under less/more appropriate lighting. You shouldn't see the whole thing or the whole space. Currently you can see all the Dino's mechanisms (looking at you sauropod). Way too bright in there.

also please add the excavator coaster!!!

I don’t know how good this ride could look - we’ve been there after reasonable refurbs and it’s looked pretty good…but as a ride, it certainly seems like it could/should be better.

I would love to see what it looks like with all the lights on to see why it’s in the dark so much. I should think something could be projected (if nothing else) in that space but a month ago it looked terrible

Twirlnhurl

I would love to see what it looks like with all the lights on to see why it’s in the dark so much. I should think something could be projected (if nothing else) in that space but a month ago it looked terrible
I think the geometry of the rooms would make projections very difficult to work. Projections throw a lot of light (think about Cosmic Rewind... Those issues with the track lighting up would occur here too). And the stuff you project would look too close unless you did a Spider-Man-style stretch and squash with the projection as the vehicle moves through the scene.

Last time I rode Dinosaur, the ride broke down and the work lights were on for a good while. So I took a picture:

Attachments

• 20220306_155709.jpg
    20220306_155709.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 204

rreading

I think the geometry of the rooms would make projections very difficult to work. Projections throw a lot of light (think about Cosmic Rewind... Those issues with the track lighting up would occur here too). And the stuff you project would look too close unless you did a Spider-Man-style stretch and squash with the projection as the vehicle moves through the scene.

Last time I rode Dinosaur, the ride broke down and the work lights were on for a good while. So I took a picture:
Interesting. I’m amazed how close those walls are!

So given their space, they’re doing everything they can. They just need to keep it maintained!

Touchdown

That’s right

That’s right at the end where seeker is going right left, etc, right? I’m guessing that because I know I du gets that cramped there (rat room.). If so that might not be a good representation.

Cmdr_Crimson

I recently found this pretty decent version of CTX with alternate audio of the ride..This also features the blinding light that was the crashing asteroid before the finale Carno head was in it's place.

Does anyone happen to know when it was permanently switched to the audio we now hear in Dinosaur?

Twirlnhurl

That’s right at the end where seeker is going right left, etc, right? I’m guessing that because I know I du gets that cramped there (rat room.). If so that might not be a good representation.
I have actually been on Dinosaur twice with the lights on. The first time was at the asteroid impact scene (we actually were evacuated that time! Sorry, no pictures.) and I couldn't be sure where it was the second time. The picture makes it seem like it is towards the end, but I actually think this is near the beginning. I marked where I think the picture is taken on this plan:
Capture+_2023-07-03-23-00-00(1)~2.pngCapture+_2023-07-03-23-01-35(1).png
(plans from this website)

There are certainly scenes in the ride where the walls are further away. But these plans show how most scenes (with the noteworthy exception of that first scene after you go back in time) are about the width of the vehicle path on each side. For a Fantasyland dark ride, that would be plenty. But for the huge Dinosaur ride vehicle, where guests are looking out from 8 feet above the floor, that is not enough space to feel like you are is an expansive jungle.

Movielover

Correct, that is the first Carno encounter. Also known as the Mummy Room in Indiana Jones Adventure, although the track is straight here to make room for the Carno AA.

UpAllNight

You'd be stupid to think that WDW makes billions of dollars a year & thereby spends a good % of this in maintaining high-quality rides. It's pretty inexcusable, in any capacity to let rides run like has been reported.

People accepting poor quality & returning year after year are at fault. But I think that the tide is turning & Universal are piling on massive pressure. If you notice poor quality & keep returning - stop moaning. You're the problem.

Kamikaze

News flash - all of Walt Disney World "is fake".

Do you not feel any emotions while you're there because "it's fake"??
I meant that 'scary' was fake, not the attraction. Obviously we're not at Disney for photorealism.

And no, I don't ever feel scared of any 'horror' or similar media because its not real. Plenty of things to be scared/worried about in the world, garbage 'horror' isn't one of them.

scoobygirl39541

I meant that 'scary' was fake, not the attraction. Obviously we're not at Disney for photorealism.

And no, I don't ever feel scared of any 'horror' or similar media because its not real. Plenty of things to be scared/worried about in the world, garbage 'horror' isn't one of them.
I love dinosaur AND scary movies are my favorite. Amazing how different some people can be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom