Dinner at the Mitsukoshi Teppanyaki Dining Room

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Originally posted by Nansafan
No, you do not sit on the floor. Your table is a rectangle with seating on 3 sides and the chef on the fourth side. He cooks on huge grill in front of you.

Good...I might have rouble getting up off the floor...:D

How's the Japanese beer?

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

Originally posted by d'Isigny
Good...I might have rouble getting up off the floor...:D

How's the Japanese beer?

One of the more popular brands is Kirin. It's a little lighter in taste vs. others but not quite as watered down as "light beers". I find that it doesn't overwhelm the tastebuds when having my meals nor does it *ahem* cause as much gas. :lookaroun

Be careful if you start to pour sake at your table. It hits you hard if you're not careful. I've seen first time sake drinkers walking around funny @ EPCOT because they weren't prepared for the late "kick" it provides. Enjoy!

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwhoneymooner
One of the more popular brands is Kirin. It's a little lighter in taste vs. others but not quite as watered down as "light beers". I find that it doesn't overwhelm the tastebuds when having my meals nor does it *ahem* cause as much gas. :lookaroun

Be careful if you start to pour sake at your table. It hits you hard if you're not careful. I've seen first time sake drinkers walking around funny @ EPCOT because they weren't prepared for the late "kick" it provides. Enjoy!

Any lager types? I'm used to Yuengling....but I guess I can drink a "light" beer.

I've had sake' before. I find it hits the blood stream pretty fast being that it is served warm.

What if you walk funny usually?

Maybe they won't notice...:D

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Hibachi places like Teppanyaki are not uncommon in my neck of the woods, though I don't know about where you are. And honestly, the price of Teppanyaki isn't THAT much more than my local place, Sawa (which is a smaller chain).

You may be able to find a Japanese restaurant near you that cooks hibachi, and if you like it, bear in mind that Disney does it very very well, and the restaurant is beautiful. Of course, that might spoil the surprise of what dining like this is like, but if you DON'T like it, then you can spare yourself a day at Disney eating food you don't like. But there's not much NOT to like. You're meal will basically be:

The meat and/or fish of your choice
rice
vegetables and maybe some bean sprouts
some spices for flavor but nothing that'll burn your tongue
all cooked together on what is essentially a giant pan.

...all cooked in front of you by an entertaining chef that turns the "waiting for your food" into a little bit of a show. And since this is Disney, I would guess they don't waste time with boring chefs, and those chefs who are boring are quickly "trained" to get up to snuff with the rest of them.

Warn the little ones, though: Getting to close to the "pan" is going to guarantee tears, and maybe a trip to the hospital. It is not a place for being silly. It is HOT.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Originally posted by slappy magoo
Hibachi places like Teppanyaki are not uncommon in my neck of the woods, though I don't know about where you are. And honestly, the price of Teppanyaki isn't THAT much more than my local place, Sawa (which is a smaller chain).

You may be able to find a Japanese restaurant near you that cooks hibachi, and if you like it, bear in mind that Disney does it very very well, and the restaurant is beautiful. Of course, that might spoil the surprise of what dining like this is like, but if you DON'T like it, then you can spare yourself a day at Disney eating food you don't like. But there's not much NOT to like. You're meal will basically be:

The meat and/or fish of your choice
rice
vegetables and maybe some bean sprouts
some spices for flavor but nothing that'll burn your tongue
all cooked together on what is essentially a giant pan.

...all cooked in front of you by an entertaining chef that turns the "waiting for your food" into a little bit of a show. And since this is Disney, I would guess they don't waste time with boring chefs, and those chefs who are boring are quickly "trained" to get up to snuff with the rest of them.

Warn the little ones, though: Getting to close to the "pan" is going to guarantee tears, and maybe a trip to the hospital. It is not a place for being silly. It is HOT.

I am familiar with Hibachi and I have eaten at a Japanese Steak house. I know that Disney does things differently, so I was unaware of the setting.

I like trying different things so even a bad experience is an experience. Nothing ventured nothing gained. I just wasn't sure if it was going to be food like squid heads or fish guts.

So....you're saying that this big grill in front of us is going to be hot....

hmmmmmm

Upvote 0

slappy magoo

Hey, don't laugh, you'd be surprised. On 2 seperate occasions, I've seen kids-not babies, but kids of 4 or 5, get dangerously close to getting disfigured. One was just being silly and not paying attention. The other, who I suspect may have had some mental deficiency, was drawn to the heat, seemingly hypnotized. AND, I've seen adults, some not paying attention, some a little drunk, forget how close they were. I don't know if you have kids, or if you drink :p but hey, accidents DO happen.

As far as the setting goes, if Teepanyaki isn't the nicest hibachi restaurant I've been to, I'd rate it a close second. When I went, they didn't do anything particularly different than any other place, it's just that they seemed to have all their you-know-what together.

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Originally posted by slappy magoo
Hey, don't laugh, you'd be surprised. On 2 seperate occasions, I've seen kids-not babies, but kids of 4 or 5, get dangerously close to getting disfigured. One was just being silly and not paying attention. The other, who I suspect may have had some mental deficiency, was drawn to the heat, seemingly hypnotized. AND, I've seen adults, some not paying attention, some a little drunk, forget how close they were. I don't know if you have kids, or if you drink :p but hey, accidents DO happen.

As far as the setting goes, if Teepanyaki isn't the nicest hibachi restaurant I've been to, I'd rate it a close second. When I went, they didn't do anything particularly different than any other place, it's just that they seemed to have all their you-know-what together.

Oh, I know some adults who would probably have to be watched...

and I'll try to remember NOT to set my beer on the grill.

People are funny. Try as you might to make something fool proof and some fool will find a way to prove you wrong.

Upvote 0

cherrynegra

So....you're saying that this big grill in front of us is going to be hot....

Attachments

• benihana.jpg
    benihana.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 59
Upvote 0

SewIn2Disney

mmmm......best meal in Epcot, in my opinion. I've found the portions to be good (and even then I usually split with my mother or get the kids meal). My only problem has been the last two visits, our chef hasn't been as entertaining as the others in the room. Don't get me wrong, he was good, I just saw other chefs doing "cooler" tricks.

And make sure you try the green tea ice cream for dessert. Mmmmm:slurp: :slurp:

Upvote 0

Number_6

There are a couple of Teppanyaki style places near me, so after trying one of them, we went to Orlando and tried out the one at Japan. My wife and two kids(son is 4, daughter is 7) had a blast. They love the food and it's one of the few styles of restaurant that we don't have to worry about them eating all the food because we know they will every time. The funniest thing the chef did when we went was to stack the layers of an onion, pour some water inside so that the steam was coming up through the opening and said "Look, volcano...." Then he started making train noises and moved it across the grill "Choo-choo..." When we came back up we went to a different Teppanyaki place a few months later and one of the chefs there did the volcano thing, but he poured a flammable cooking oil inside it so it was bubbling and ran it down the side of the onion and a bit on the grill, then lit it on fire so that it made an eruption effect. Really neat!!

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Originally posted by cloudboy
reminds me of the Police Academy movie where the chief leaves his pet goldfish on the grill and it boils away...

PETA is now after me!

I guess the shrimp, chicken and cow are not cute enough to care about...

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Originally posted by SewIn2Disney
mmmm......best meal in Epcot, in my opinion. I've found the portions to be good (and even then I usually split with my mother or get the kids meal). My only problem has been the last two visits, our chef hasn't been as entertaining as the others in the room. Don't get me wrong, he was good, I just saw other chefs doing "cooler" tricks.

And make sure you try the green tea ice cream for dessert. Mmmmm:slurp: :slurp:

green is not a good color for ice cream...

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Originally posted by Number_6
There are a couple of Teppanyaki style places near me, so after trying one of them, we went to Orlando and tried out the one at Japan. My wife and two kids(son is 4, daughter is 7) had a blast. They love the food and it's one of the few styles of restaurant that we don't have to worry about them eating all the food because we know they will every time. The funniest thing the chef did when we went was to stack the layers of an onion, pour some water inside so that the steam was coming up through the opening and said "Look, volcano...." Then he started making train noises and moved it across the grill "Choo-choo..." When we came back up we went to a different Teppanyaki place a few months later and one of the chefs there did the volcano thing, but he poured a flammable cooking oil inside it so it was bubbling and ran it down the side of the onion and a bit on the grill, then lit it on fire so that it made an eruption effect. Really neat!!

I like that!

Upvote 0

wdwhoneymooner

green is not a good color for ice cream...

Then what about green beer on St. Patrick's Day? :)

Green tea ice cream is actually very tasty, IMO. If made properly, it's not too sweet and has a hint of dryness in the aftertaste. Wish I could find a place near me that sold some.....

Upvote 0

d'Isigny

Original Poster
Originally posted by wdwhoneymooner
Then what about green beer on St. Patrick's Day? :)

Green tea ice cream is actually very tasty, IMO. If made properly, it's not too sweet and has a hint of dryness in the aftertaste. Wish I could find a place near me that sold some.....

I drink beer out of a green bottle...

okayyyyy....I'll try the green tea ice cream...

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom