Dining Plans...

Francy

Original Poster
So I think I will add dining plan for our 3 day trip (4 nights). If we eat additional to the plan though we just pay those out of pocket, ala carte right?

And what is the benefit of the Premium - it seems very confusing with all the trade ins. With 2 small kids (3 &6) who are finicky is my best bet just the straight dining plan to cover a few meals at a slight discount at least?

dreamfinder

The various dining plans simply give you the set number of entitlements covered under the plan. Anything outside of those (IE Alcohol) needs to be paid out of pocket.
QS Plan (Per Room Night) - 2 QS Meals, 1 Snack
Basic Plan (Per Room Night) - 1 QS Meal, 1 TS Meal, 1 Snack
Deluxe Plan (Per Room Night) - 3 Meals (QS or TS), 2 Snacks
Premium/Platinum Plan basically turn your package into an all inclusive. You still get the 3 Meals and 2 Snacks from the deluxe plan. They also allow you to use recreation (golf, boats, etc), tours, day care, etc as much as you want during your trip. Platinum takes the options for Premium and kicks it up a notch with some additional options (Like dining at V&A)

Run the numbers. That is the only thing you can do with the dining plan. Look at the menus online, and see what you think you would spend in food based solely on that. Then compare you expected spend, to the cost of the dining plan. If you come out ahead, then go for the dining plan. In most cases if you don't eat to the plan exactly, and eat the more(most) expensive items, you won't come out ahead. So if you don't want dessert with your QS lunch, passing it up means you waste money.

Weather_Lady

This is a useful tool if you want to compare the cost of the plan to the cost of eating "out of pocket" at the same restaurants (although it sometimes does not factor in 2-credit TS restaurants as such...)

http://www.distripplanner.com/

In general, if what a dining plan offers does not synch up exactly with what/how much your family likes to eat, OR if you plan on going to one or more 2-credit table service experiences, the dining plan won't save you money. Some people still prefer the convenience of pre-paying however, even if that means they end up paying more. YMMV. :)

Last edited:

DSMDGA

We were at WDW last week, two adults for 7 nights. Originally we had planned to use the dining plan, but canceled it when our time frame was not included in the free dining offer. I kept track of our out of pocket food expenses to compare to the cost of the dining plan. I had purchased Disney gift cards at Target at a 5% discount to use for our food. We were joined the evening of day 3 by my son and daughter-in-law, who have a TIW card. When the four of us dined together, we just split the bill instead of trying to figure out who had ordered what.

The meal plan would have provided 7 snacks, and 7 table meals and 7 quick service meals, which would have included a non-alcoholic drink, entree, and dessert each. Instead, we ate what we wanted, sometimes getting two appetizers and splitting an entree. We sometimes skipped dessert at the restaurant to get something later in the parks. We had adult beverages most every night. We often split appetizers. We had dinner at two signature restaurants; Citricos and California Grill. Our California Grill night included drinks, appetizers, entree and dessert for all. We also ate at Crystal Palace, Be Our Guest (lunch and dinner), 50's Prime Time Cafe, Tutto Italia Ristorante, and twice at Beaches and Cream for lunch and ice cream. We spent our last evening at the Food & Wine Festival, eating and drinking our way around the world.

Our total out of pocket costs, including alcohol and appetizers that would not have been covered by the meal plan, ended up being $105 less than the cost of the meal plan. Not only did it save us money to pay out of pocket, we ate what we wanted, when we wanted, instead of trying to order to make the most of the meal plan. We certainly didn't skimp on snacks. We never had a problem anywhere splitting an entree or appetizer. In fact, if we told the server we were splitting, it would be brought to us split onto two plates.

Bparso87

U can save money by not using the dining plan I like it bc it is pre paid and don't have to worry about going over budget when eating

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom