Difference between I-95 & Florida Turnpike?

richiejg

Original Poster
I'm driving up to Orlando from Miami Airport on Saturday, and was just wondering whats the difference between using the I-95 & Florida Turnpike, part from the toll you have to pay on the FTP?

What do people recommend? I don't mind paying the toll if its easier and quicker!

Thanks in advance

Shelby's Dad

Trip north from Miami

Turnpike all the way!!!!!!!

If you want you can stay on i-95 and then cut over at Port St. Lucie. (there are signs) The two roads are only about 1/2 a part at this point. However, I would just get on Turnpike in Miami and let her rip.

hls1023

I-95 swings pretty far east so you will end up doing alot of westward driving after you get off. It's MUCH easier just to pay the toll and stay on the turnpike. You can actually get off I-95 at the Ft. Pierce (okeechobee Rd. exit), head west about 1/2 a mile and jump on the turnpike. I WOULD NOT get off in Port St. Lucie. If you do you will end up having to drive ALL the way to the St. Lucie west exit which will be a huge PITA.

hls1023

I-95 swings pretty far east so you will end up doing alot of westward driving after you get off. It's MUCH easier just to pay the toll and stay on the turnpike. You can actually get off I-95 at the Ft. Pierce (okeechobee Rd. exit), head west about 1/2 a mile and jump on the turnpike. I WOULD NOT get off in Port St. Lucie. If you do you will end up having to drive ALL the way to the St. Lucie west exit which will be a huge PITA.
Actually the I-95 exit is either Gatlin or St.Lucie West, but anyhow NEITHER of them are near a turnpike exit (that was what I was actually trying to say, sorry for the confusion). Just stay on I-95 till you hit the Ft. Pierce exit and get on the Turnpike from there, you will be fine.

drdoom1001

Turnpike all the way!!!!!!!

If you want you can stay on i-95 and then cut over at Port St. Lucie. (there are signs) The two roads are only about 1/2 a part at this point. However, I would just get on Turnpike in Miami and let her rip.

I live in Miami and I'm at the Central Florida parks every 3 weeks or so,I think I can do that drive in my sleep and I've gone probably 5 different ways.This is what I will suggest,if you want to make it as fast as possible take the Turnpike all the way,you'll get like 3 or 4 $1 tolls and then they give you a card at mile marker 88 that says you have to pay $13.70 at mile marker 236,the Kissimmee exit is 242 and you can get off there or exit 249,the Osceola Parkway to get to Disney.

Another way you can go and you cut your tolls to only $8 is up I-95 to exit 129 the Ft.Pierce exit,not Port St.Lucie.The exit where the 2 highways are real close is Ft.Pierce exit 129 for I-95 and 152 for the turnpike.If you get off there and take the Turnpike at the toll they give you a card where you have to pay $8 at the turnpikes Mile marker 236.

If you want to go toll free take I-95 to exit 180 which is hwy 192,that's a rural road that takes you straight through Kissimmee to Disney.

Another route which is longer but you stay on major highways is I-95 to exit 205 the Beachline expressway also know as the Beeline and you take that west to Orlando,tolls are like $3.The easiest way is the turnpike,it does have the highest tolls but any Floridian will tell you I-95 is very unpredictable,construction,accidents,I know for example if it's a weekday and I'm going up to Orlando if I'm not past West Palm Beach by 6:30 am take the turnpike cause the traffic on 95 will delay me big time!!Take the turnpike,it's a straight shot and less unpredictable!!

Piebald

Or you can take Highway 27 all the way from Miami and it will spit you out pretty much like 4 miles from Disney. It's a nice, scenic route with a bunch of super crappy towns on the way up and lots of lakes and hills...

The only thing is that if you are caught speeding even like 3 miles over the limit you WILL be pulled over. :fork:

Unless you really want to save 27 dollars in toll (going both ways) I would ultimately take the Turnpike.... I-95 can sometimes have a lot of traffic in the West Palm area and is pretty far east of Disney (only good if you're going to UCF or something like that).

steveford

Hi, I'm driving fro Miami up to WDW in rental. I don't mind paying the toll but I've been told I can't pay cash on the start only after following I95 then getting onto the Turnpike can anyone assist the best way would be? Be gentle with basic directions I'm from the UK

PhotoDave219

I'm driving up to Orlando from Miami Airport on Saturday, and was just wondering whats the difference between using the I-95 & Florida Turnpike, part from the toll you have to pay on the FTP?

What do people recommend? I don't mind paying the toll if its easier and quicker!

Thanks in advance

I-95 is at least an hour or two longer. You'd have to take 95 to Titusville/cocoa and then take 528 west.

Turnpike is a direct route.

maloned

I've been using I-95 North to the Fort Pierce exit 129 and then Florida Turnpike north. We save on half the tolls and it's pretty much the same distance and time.

Florida Turnpike South - Fort Pierce exit 152 then I-95 South on the way back.

Bill DuPriest

Thanks in advance
We drive from Miami to Fort Pierce regularly and always take the Turnpike. I-95 is a much better road--wider, newer--but the Turnpike has much nicer bathrooms and service plazas, with more varied food booths, etc. You have to walk through a short wooded area to get to the bathrooms on I-95, and in the summer the mosquitoes can be fierce. I suggest that if you do not plan to stop, by all means take I-95. If you have children or older folks, and probably will stop several times on a two-three hour stretch, take the Turnpike.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Fewer bat crazy drivers on the Turnpike than I-95, in my opinion.

With regards to tolls, you don't pay them as soon as you get on the Turnpike, at least that's how it is traveling down on I-75 and then getting on just south of Ocala around Wildwood. I'm going to assume it's the same traveling north from Miami, since the Turnpike starts/ends (depending on the direction you're traveling) in Miami (ok, technically Homestead, but it's still Dade County). According to the map, it looks like the first toll plaza driving north is just north of Delray Beach. There are no tolls on I-95.

I'd take the Turnpike. Get on in Miami and it's a straight shot to the exit for 429. From there, it's only one toll and 20 minutes to Western Way (Exit 8 on 429/192) and Disney World!

I haven't been to Miami in years, but when you pick up your rental car at the airport, ask for printed directions to the Turnpike from the airport. Like I said, you stay on the Turnpike until you see the exit for 429.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
Or you can take Highway 27 all the way from Miami and it will spit you out pretty much like 4 miles from Disney. It's a nice, scenic route with a bunch of super crappy towns on the way up and lots of lakes and hills...

The only thing is that if you are caught speeding even like 3 miles over the limit you WILL be pulled over. :fork:

Unless you really want to save 27 dollars in toll (going both ways) I would ultimately take the Turnpike.... I-95 can sometimes have a lot of traffic in the West Palm area and is pretty far east of Disney (only good if you're going to UCF or something like that).

Oh god, don't tell the OP to drive on 27...that's cruel.

21stamps

The turnpike will always be faster than I95. Unless there's an accident, and that could happen on either one.

Take the turnpike :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom