Did somebody kwow this backstory at ToT?

Paul jr

Original Poster
On my last trip when I was on my way to Fantasmic, I saw a silouette at a window of the Hollywood Tower Hotel.

I think it's only visible from the path that lead to the Theater of the Stars.

IMG_0423.JPG

Disney never do thing for nothing. And this hotel is suposed to be empty since 1935. What is the backstory of this silouette?

FettFan

Norman-bates.png

EDIT -- Yes, I know, PSYCHO belongs to Universal. HOWEVER...that doesn't mean that Disney can't throw out an easter egg or two. (Eagle-eyed viewers at Star Tours will find a Star Trek reference in the queue)
I'm completely convinced that the silhouette is a hat-tip to Psycho.

Last edited:

Marc Gil

Norman-bates.png

EDIT -- Yes, I know, PSYCHO belongs to Universal. HOWEVER...that doesn't mean that Disney can't throw out an easter egg or two. (Eagle-eyed viewers at Star Tours will find a Star Trek reference in the queue)
OMG Norman Bates never ceases to freak me out.. The ending of Psycho is so creepy....

Paul jr

Original Poster
Yes, I know, PSYCHO belongs to Universal. HOWEVER...that doesn't mean that Disney can't throw out an easter egg or two. (Eagle-eyed viewers at Star Tours will find a Star Trek reference in the queue)

So you think it's the silouette of Norma Bates, Norman's mother?

ShookieJones

We need time for things to happen.
I'm not sure if you took this pic or if it's off the interwebz, but I remember seeing this subject in a thread around here before and that who ever took the pic most likely photoshopped it in..etc. and that the silhouette doesn't exist.

If you took the pic and it's legit then I don't what the he!! I"m talking about.

The Empress Lilly

These days, maybe, but in the past, not every detail of every attraction had to have some huge story behind it. Sometimes attractions would just have things that looked cool.

There's a difference in the design philosophy of, say, the original Haunted Mansion and the new graveyard queue they put in.
Quite so. Modern WDI misses the mark with their endless backstories, too detailed and too public. Too Much Information lessens the mystery. And majesty. And opportunity for the spectator to project his imagination.

Thrill

These days, maybe, but in the past, not every detail of every attraction had to have some huge story behind it. Sometimes attractions would just have things that looked cool.

There's a difference in the design philosophy of, say, the original Haunted Mansion and the new graveyard queue they put in.

Yes. Exclamation points.

FettFan

So you think it's the silouette of Norma Bates, Norman's mother?

Not specifically Norma, just a hat tip to her.
After all, that's all we see of her through most of the film. Marion Crane notices her silhouette through the house window, as does Milton Arbogast when he investigates Marion's disappearance.
univ_psycho_frame_a.jpg

Given that the main story of Tower of Terror and Psycho both revolve around a decrepit hotel, and I don't think this is a mere coincidence.

It's not the only Psycho reference they threw in there....

Remember the pivotal scene, in which Norman explains himself and his mother to Marion Crane? He talks about his love of taxidermy, and during the scene, the shot is wide enough to include an owl that Norman stuffed and mounted with its wings outstretched.
norman-bates.jpg

Walk into the Tower of Terror lobby, and what do you see in the middle of the room?
tzt889217LARGE.jpg

An owl with its wings outstretched.

Last edited:
I cannot say what the backstory is, but the image is definitely there in the window. Was there two weeks ago and heard someone comment on the window as we were exiting the gift store. Wondered what he was talking about as I have enjoyed TOT many times and figured I wouldn't miss something like that...but sure enough it is there. You can only see it from the exit side of the ride.

Paul jr

Original Poster
I'm not sure if you took this pic or if it's off the interwebz, but I remember seeing this subject in a thread around here before and that who ever took the pic most likely photoshopped it in..etc. and that the silhouette doesn't exist.

If you took the pic and it's legit then I don't what the he!! I"m talking about.
I took this picture my self. I had to take many picture in fact... it's not easy to get the right focus and I had to stand REALY still to get a good picture. (the wife was kinda bored as I stood there for like 10 min trying to get the shot)

tinkerblonde11

Also no idea about the backstory, but the silhouette is definitely there. This past summer I went to the side specifically to see it and got some (blurry) pictures. Something cool and slightly creepy to look for. If it's a nod to psycho, that's awesome. If not I'm interested to hear about what it is/the reason why it's actually there.

Tom Morrow

It's actually a little weird to me, the silhouette is too small to be an actual person, but too big and it would be too obvious.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom