DHS Makeover - What we know so far.....

gmajew

Premium Member
Right?! It can help Studios become THE park to go to in Q4 (Oct-Nov-Dec) and alleviate holiday congestion in the MK.

I am starting to think the more Disney adds to the other park will just continue to make the MK more and more crowded.... It is the crown jewel and the more people that come down to see SWL or TSL or even Avatar will still spend time at the MK and with attendance going up overall that just means the MK will continue to get more and more crowded.

Add the fact that Universal is building and getting better drawing even more people into Orlando means the WDW will continue to see a bigger and bigger attendance!

30 min waits for Peter Pan are a thing of the pass.

Phroobar

30 min waits for Peter Pan are a thing of the pass.

You get 30 minute waits for Peter Pan? At Disneyland it is always at least an hour! I haven't been on that ride in years because I refuse to wait that long for a simple dark ride. I can do almost all of Fantasyland in that time.

DVCOwner

A Long Time DVC Member
The DHS upgrade budget

See that is where you are bending numbers to fit what you want. To say Disney is not putting enough money into Walt Disney World you would have to include all the construction going on at one time. You want to show Disney is not doing enough wo you take one part of the budget and spread it out over ten years not knowing how long the project will take. You look for the negative and find it. Some look at the glass high full you look at as empty.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
See that is where you are bending numbers to fit what you want. To say Disney is not putting enough money into Walt Disney World you would have to include all the construction going on at one time. You want to show Disney is not doing enough wo you take one part of the budget and spread it out over ten years not knowing how long the project will take. You look for the negative and find it. Some look at the glass high full you look at as empty.

Disney is being dragged kicking and screaming into this project - They spent 6.6 Billion on buying back stock last year to pump the stock price. They could fund the ENTIRE expansion using about 6 months worth of buybacks and still have enough money left to buy 3 billion worth of stock.

The difference is the executive bonus pool would much smaller, Disney these days is being run to maximize the compensation of the senior officers of the company with no regard to the LONG TERM health of the company and it's assets. Right now plant and equipment at P&R is depreciating far faster than it's being replaced even DCL is seeing underinvestment and quality cuts.

Companies run in this manner nearly always fail and usually do so in a spectacular fashion, Will the parks go away - no they will be sold to a new owner at fire sale prices as will the rest of the business units.

Phroobar

Disney is being dragged kicking and screaming into this project - They spent 6.6 Billion on buying back stock last year to pump the stock price. They could fund the ENTIRE expansion using about 6 months worth of buybacks and still have enough money left to buy 3 billion worth of stock.

The difference is the executive bonus pool would much smaller, Disney these days is being run to maximize the compensation of the senior officers of the company with no regard to the LONG TERM health of the company and it's assets. Right now plant and equipment at P&R is depreciating far faster than it's being replaced even DCL is seeing underinvestment and quality cuts.

Companies run in this manner nearly always fail and usually do so in a spectacular fashion, Will the parks go away - no they will be sold to a new owner at fire sale prices as will the rest of the business units.

Welcome to Corporate America in the 21st century.

habuma

I am starting to think the more Disney adds to the other park will just continue to make the MK more and more crowded.... It is the crown jewel and the more people that come down to see SWL or TSL or even Avatar will still spend time at the MK and with attendance going up overall that just means the MK will continue to get more and more crowded.

I've come to believe the same thing. As awesome as it will be to finally see updates and expansion in DHS and AK (still crossing fingers for something significant to come to Epcot), it probably won't draw crowds away from MK. Indeed, it will likely have the opposite effect. The mythical 5th gate won't solve the problem either. Anything that draws more visitors to WDW will indirectly draw more visitors to MK.

For this reason, I'm hoping that there's some plans to expand MK as well as creative solutions to addressing the flow of people through MK. It's only gonna get worse crowd-wise.

Matt_Black

Japanese companies are FAR healthier than American ones at the moment and they are STILL buying American companies. American companies are no longer doing the buying they are being BOUGHT.

Yeah, but not to the degree that everyone was predicting. Look at any cyberpunk genre thing (or Back to the Future II)- people were predicting a full takeover of America by the Japanese- economically, politically, and culturally. That didn't happen.

Phroobar

It will be the most immersive version of Toy Story Land ever! Looking at what is already built, at isn't saying much. It will look cheap compared to SWL next door.

Haymarket2008

So, back to the topic...

Cathy Magnum made it a point in her D23 presentation to compare Toy Story Land with Cars Land in terms of the level of immersion. Based on the concept art, I definitely don't see that - especially because the Slinky Dog coaster looks like it'll be too obviously a ride structure (unless they theme the supports incredibly well, to look like things Andy put together, with pencils, etc). Thoughts?

I agree in some ways. I think Toy Story's setting does not lend itself to the grand scale of immersion that Cars has. That being said, I do think that we will be getting the best "Cars level" treatment for this specific franchise. By looking at the people in the concept art, you really get a sense of scale. I think people will be pleasantly surprised. Yes, the attraction line up isn't flooring anyone, but it serves its purpose really well: the more tame section of the park.

twebber55

im curious what the cost was for the other Toy Story Playlands and what the new Toy Story Land will cost?

im assuming the DHS version will be roughly 500 million

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom