Dessert Party or After Hours?

Minnie1986

Alright, folks, I need help finalizing a decision (story of my lifešŸ˜…)for my trip this summer.

What I originally wanted to do was Magic Kingdom After Hours, however, those end in June and my trip is in July; so now my choices are either Hollywood Studios After Hours Event on July 11th or doing a Happily Ever After dessert party on our Magic Kingdom Day, July 12. I've heard such great things about the after hours events, however, this one would fall the night before our Magic Kingdom Day; which we all know is generally the craziest of park days.

Given that it will be myself and my 12yo niece on her very first trip to Disney, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance!

RememberWhen

My 11yo and I loved the DHS after hours. He loves Star Wars. And Tower. We were able to do basically every ride except MMRR. Which we could have done, but we were ready to leave. It was hard to get up the next morning, and we were going back to DHS, so not urgent to make rope drop.

Does your niece want to ride rides? See rare characters (we didnā€™t do that, but I know some people do)?

Or would a late night fireworks treats be better?

Hard to say. For a first visit the fireworks might be a bit more magical. Itā€™s definitely nice not to fight the crowds.

Upvote 0

MissingDisney

Alright, folks, I need help finalizing a decision (story of my lifešŸ˜…)for my trip this summer.

What I originally wanted to do was Magic Kingdom After Hours, however, those end in June and my trip is in July; so now my choices are either Hollywood Studios After Hours Event on July 11th or doing a Happily Ever After dessert party on our Magic Kingdom Day, July 12. I've heard such great things about the after hours events, however, this one would fall the night before our Magic Kingdom Day; which we all know is generally the craziest of park days.

Given that it will be myself and my 12yo niece on her very first trip to Disney, what would you recommend? Thanks in advance!
The dessert party is overpriced and nothing special. It's the standard finger foods but with alcohol. You pay the adult price for a 12 year old even though they don't drink, of course. Definitely not worth the price when you can buy a treat or 2, look up and see the same fireworks for free.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
The dessert party is overpriced and nothing special. It's the standard finger foods but with alcohol. You pay the adult price for a 12 year old even though they don't drink, of course. Definitely not worth the price when you can buy a treat or 2, look up and see the same fireworks for free.
This is a great point. Thanks.

Upvote 0

NelleBelle

How long is your trip? Iā€™d maybe suggest doing the MK fireworks (no dessert party) one night and the AH event at HS another night. You could maybe relax and have a pool day the morning of your AH event and then Have a fun night out at HS. I donā€™t think k the dessert parties justify the cost for what you get, IMO.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
How long is your trip? Iā€™d maybe suggest doing the MK fireworks (no dessert party) one night and the AH event at HS another night. You could maybe relax and have a pool day the morning of your AH event and then Have a fun night out at HS. I donā€™t think k the dessert parties justify the cost for what you get, IMO.
My trip is seven days/ six nights, with five park days. My biggest issue is that the HS After Hours party is only once per week, and it's the night before our Magic Kingdom Day.

Upvote 0

LeighM

We loved the after hours event at HS when we went a few years ago. I think they made changes to how people experience RotR during after hours events, which was sad when I heard it. But with everything else being a walk on and near empty walkways, it was the most fun I had ever had in that park. Usually I'm very claustrophobic when I'm there so it was a nice change. We also had an early park morning the next day, which wasn't any fun but I would totally do it again. I would rather spend money on that than overpriced desserts with a view of the fireworks.

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

After hours. If you were a first time guest and IF you wanted to do it to say you did it, and money isnt an issue, then do it. The dessert parties sound great to new guests but they really dont deliver an experience worth the cost IMHO. After hours at least gets you some bang for your buck, that is as long as DHS will be attractive for you and your neice.

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
We loved the after hours event at HS when we went a few years ago. I think they made changes to how people experience RotR during after hours events, which was sad when I heard it. But with everything else being a walk on and near empty walkways, it was the most fun I had ever had in that park. Usually I'm very claustrophobic when I'm there so it was a nice change. We also had an early park morning the next day, which wasn't any fun but I would totally do it again. I would rather spend money on that than overpriced desserts with a view of the fireworks.
Great to hear this perspective. Thanks!

Upvote 0

Minnie1986

Original Poster
After hours. If you were a first time guest and IF you wanted to do it to say you did it, and money isnt an issue, then do it. The dessert parties sound great to new guests but they really dont deliver an experience worth the cost IMHO. After hours at least gets you some bang for your buck, that is as long as DHS will be attractive for you and your neice.
Hollywood Studios is my second favorite park (I could ride ToT all day and be totally satisfied) and my niece is very much into theming and loves anything Broadway and Hollywood.

Upvote 0

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
The dessert party is really just vip seating for the fireworks. Iā€™d recommend it if youā€™re going on a really crowded day. We had it for Christmas Day and it was really nice being able to sit and then my kid could see without me lifting her up.

But on a normal day itā€™s not worth it. You have to give up park time for the desserts, which arenā€™t that good, when you can easily grab a treat and squeeze in somewhere.

The view still has lampposts from the vip section, just so you know.

Upvote 0

BraveGirl

After hours! Dessert parties are a money grab. Nothing worth what you pay for them. After hours at a park you love with rides you want to do over and over is definitely worth it. (FTR, I don't think after hours events at Epcot are worth it but yes for HS)

Upvote 0

ppete1975

The dessert parties I would do if I had someone elderly or with a physical issue since they wont be in the mass of humanity jostled around and ran over. You and your 12 year old niece should be fine and the snacks arent worth it. I strongly recommend the mickeys not so scary and the christmas parties, I have not done the after hours but I would think the same advantages are there (although the costs have risen the last few years). Most rides are walk ons, the parks are magical at night, and you have elbow room to explore the parks.
The ability to do all the rides, and enjoy the parks in a much less crowded environment is worth it to me, add in the other perks and its an easy pick for me.

Regardless you will have a blast and I hope you have the best time ever, enjoy your trip :)ā¤ļø

Upvote 0

JIMINYCR

Hollywood Studios is my second favorite park (I could ride ToT all day and be totally satisfied) and my niece is very much into theming and loves anything Broadway and Hollywood.
My DS and I will ride ToT as often as we can get on. First attraction we head to and last before leaving the park. Oh how I'm hoping it never leaves and we have to do without.

Upvote 0

Ghostdog

I definitely wouldnā€™t do the dessert party, too pricey for desserts. Iā€™ve never done an after hours event because we always seem to fit so much in on a regular day.

How about a water park day?

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom