Deluxe Resorts..The Hardest Decision..

AndyS2992

I personally think that unless you're loaded then the deluxe resorts are a waste of money. We always stay at Pop Century and use the money saved on fine dining, experiences, special souvenirs etc. Why pay thousands of dollars for a room you only sleep and wash in? as the whole day is spent in the parks/other attractions. As nice as they are I don't personally see the point. The values are comfy and perfectly adequate. If I was to ever recommend a hotel it would be a moderate or value resort.

Mr Toad

I did appreciate the Cabins at Ft. Wilderness. Nice cabins, sleeps 6, full kitchens, etc. The pine tree canopy kept some of the heat out. Long way to the boat launch tho. That's why they rent golf carts. But we used the in-resort buses...forgot to bring the bikes :(

epcotisbest

I personally think that unless you're loaded then the deluxe resorts are a waste of money. We always stay at Pop Century and use the money saved on fine dining, experiences, special souvenirs etc. Why pay thousands of dollars for a room you only sleep and wash in? as the whole day is spent in the parks/other attractions. As nice as they are I don't personally see the point. The values are comfy and perfectly adequate. If I was to ever recommend a hotel it would be a moderate or value resort.

Over the years we find we spend much more time at the resorts than the parks...and in the last few years we have done less fine dining, experiences and very few souvenirs except on special occasions. This past May we spent probably 75% of our time enjoying the pools at WL, deep in a book, just enjoying the place, hanging out at the sandy beach area, or riding bicycles over to Ft. Wilderness. Honestly, we would go to Disney resorts even if they shut down the parks...can't say that was the case on our first few trips but after dozens, priorities change.

Last edited:

AndyS2992

Over the years we find we spend much more time at the resorts than the parks...and in the last few years we have done less fine dining, experiences and very few souvenirs except on special occasions. This past May we spent probably 75% of our time enjoying the pools at WL, deep in a book, just enjoying the place, hanging out at the sandy beach area, or riding bicycles over to Ft. Wilderness. Honestly, we would go to Disney resorts even if they shut down the parks...can't say that was the case on our first few trips but after dozens, priorities change.

Of course, every one is different and have different interests and needs but from my perspective being a UK guest (and being young I suppose) spending a lot of time at the resort whether deluxe or value is not necessarily viable as it is much cheaper for Americans to visit than us Brits where a single trip costs well over $10,000 and so we try to spend as much time in the parks as possible to get as much value for our money as we can, of course we do take midday breaks in the resort pool or room for an hour some days but we head straight back to the parks until closing afterwards.

Skibum1970

I have two favorites on the deluxe trail, Wilderness Lodge and the Contemporary. Contemporary is outside of my budget, though, and WL is as well if we are spending more than a few nights. No other deluxes really call out to me but that's just personal preference. With those comments out there, my decision tree really just has one branch on it for WL. The hard decision is earlier in the process when deciding between moderate or deluxe. WL is so wonderful but PORS or CS gives me a longer stay option (budget always plays a part).

epcotisbest

Of course, every one is different and have different interests and needs but from my perspective being a UK guest (and being young I suppose) spending a lot of time at the resort whether deluxe or value is not necessarily viable as it is much cheaper for Americans to visit than us Brits where a single trip costs well over $10,000 and so we try to spend as much time in the parks as possible to get as much value for our money as we can, of course we do take midday breaks in the resort pool or room for an hour some days but we head straight back to the parks until closing afterwards.
For us, we don't spend even a fraction of that amount, which is why we can go often...we can drive down on one tank of gas and back home on another, so we have less than $100 in transportation costs...we often stay in condos or villas and eat in the room for a lot of the trip, another money saver.
When we were younger, we spent every waking hour in the parks and certainly understand why you do as well. Things changed in our approach to WDW many years go, yet we still enjoy going...we just have changed how we visit...and still very much enjoy it.
We are headed back in Sept. and haven't even decided on tickets yet. Might go to the parks every day, might go a couple of days, might go to SeaWorld and Uni, or might just spend a week by the pool...a totally different approach than if we were spending big dollars and traveling from across the pond...sometimes I forget how blessed we are.

sgtmgd

Yes and Yes is my short answer. LOL As you know, tradition dictated, for years, us staying at the Polynesian (have stayed at CR and GF but always went back to the Poly) We are changing resorts this year to WL Our own @poohlover raved about it, and she was very convincing, so during last year's trip to Disney, my son and I checked it out, and LOVED it!!! (Ron was back at our resort... sick) We all decided it was time for a change, and WL won, hands down. I highly rely on alot of what is said here on wdwmagic when it comes to resorts as well as restaurants. I can tell you, this is the first year Ron is as excited as I am about vacation. Even though we prefer Deluxe, (not deluxe snobs by no means, just like the convenience of transporation options and the comfy beds) ALL the resorts are great (sans the tour groups LOL)

I have been very fortunate, Ive stayed at Contemporary, Poly, Yacht Club, Boardwalk, Coronado, POFQ and in September I'll add ALK a 2 bedroom villa in Kidani Village Savannah View..like @disneydeb we are'nt deluxe snobs I just prefer the amenities..beds in particular, views, themeing..Boardwalk is our favorite hands down and like my NJ counterpart it is very easy for us to get into a "tradition" and stay @ the Boardwalk every year..since I had to cancel my Xmas trip thanks to Sequestration/Furloughs..a trip that was scheduled for the Boardwalks villas..we took the money we had already "sunk" into the trip and decided to try renting points through the Timeshare store, we decided on a mid september trip to accomodate Nikki's Mother who is also attending (she lives on the left coast)..so at the end of the day we got a great deal at AKL (boardwalk wasnt available) I am excited to try AKL, Ive never set foot onthe property (the only one I havent seen in person) so it will be a new adventure, I dont see it replacing Boardwalk as our goto resort..I just love the Epcot area (close to the Yachtsman...yum) ..I will try WL at some point but thats the only resort I "really" havent stayted at that I still want to...I will note that while the Beach Club is a fabulous resort..I grew up on the beach and it has less appeal to me because of it..NOTHING wrong with the resort..I'd stay there if I couldnt get a villa at the Boardwalk anyday..just not my first choice.

real mad hatter

Original Poster
On my first trip staying at CBR I was gobsmacked how many same faces I saw sitting around the pool on a daily basis.:eek: Like Whits all that about??? We're in the most magical place on earth..Still confuses me..I could save a fortune by booking a cheap European vacation at a 4 star hotel and sitting by the pool..I know it's your thing ( I take it there's no kids on your trip ) But this is one mystery that has me completely gobsmacked.:banghead:

disney magic 06

All down to personal choice of course as they are all so different, but no other hotel even gets close to WL for me. I love the ambience, the size, the fact that it's all in one building, Roaring Forks, transport, wildlife....you get the drift.

Sadly as there are only 2 of us going next year we couldn't really justify the extra cost - 3 in one room makes quite a difference, so lets hope SSR can live up to our somewhat reduced expectations!

bmarkelon

As DVC owners at BLT, it's tough to tear us away from our 2nd home...more so for my DH. So that's where we mostly keep ending up. We tried our first Value experience at AoA this past April (note: this is because it was last minute and we would be paying for this one, not using our points). Because we are so accustomed to the amenities in the Deluxe/Villa resorts we had a tough time loving the Value. And for us it's mainly in the more convenient location. I love the pools, slides, linens, Table restaurants, etc....but you can't beat being able to walk to MK!! We will be finally checking out BCV for a few nights next month, I can't wait!! My DH swears that he's put off letting me have my way on this because he thinks we're going to love it too much and cheat on our BLT home. I also really look forward to hopefully trying GFV next August, fingers crossed on availability!!
As far as choosing, we base that on our own check-lists (would love to try them all).

epcotisbest

On my first trip staying at CBR I was gobsmacked how many same faces I saw sitting around the pool on a daily basis.:eek: Like Whits all that about??? We're in the most magical place on earth..Still confuses me..I could save a fortune by booking a cheap European vacation at a 4 star hotel and sitting by the pool..I know it's your thing ( I take it there's no kids on your trip ) But this is one mystery that has me completely gobsmacked.:banghead:
Yes, no kids for us...as I am all the kid we can afford.
Hatter, we have been to WDW dozens of times and we used to be all about the parks...would spend all day there until after closing...sleep and pool time mattered little.
Over the years that changed...we started taking afternoon pool and room breaks.
Then we started skipping a day in the parks for a full day of rest and relaxation at wherever we were staying.
We found that did not diminish our enjoyment of WDW...actually added to it.
Then we started spending even more time at the resorts...enjoying pool time, lounge time, hanging in the lobbies and visiting other resorts...and we always did DTD every trip as well...now we just do that more than the parks.
Yes, we could drive an hour or less from where we live and enjoy great resorts and pool time...and we are doing that this coming weekend for a three day trip to Callaway Gardens...but then we are not in Florida where we have the option to hop over to Epcot for lunch or dinner at several wonderful places...or go over to DTD and visit HOB for some really tasty ribs...or Ghirardelli for a sundae, or Earl for a sandwich...or go over to the MK and make a few Wishes...or have a Fantasmic time at DHS...or take a Safari ride at DAK if we want to. None of those options exist if we book a local 4 star.
At Bay Lake Tower this Sept...we will be able to watch Wishes every evening if we choose...without actually being inside MK.
We can also, because we drive, hop in the car and head over to SeaWorld, Uni, or to dozens of outlets for discount shopping galore, which my wife loves.
We also can hit the Beachline and be at a beach in less than an hour...or head over to Crystal River and swim with manatee...one of the best things we have ever done...or-well there are just so many options...and we found out long ago you can enjoy so much outside that Disney bubble...but we like being in the bubble as well.
We love staying at Disney resorts...and have been to Disney Vero Beach too.
So yes, we could just go to a pool much closer to home, but prefer, at this stage in our lives, to enjoy Disney resorts...with or without park time.
The most magical place on earth's magic does not begin inside the turnstiles of a theme park...there is plenty of magic for us just being there...have you ever waded through all the pixie dust in the bottom of the pool at Storm-a-long Bay or listened to the birds in the trees in the morning while floating in Hidden Springs pool, or soaked in a hot tub at SSR relaxing tired and weary muscles that were aching for the stress relief of everyday life?
Yes, we could save money and just stay home if we are not going to spend as much time as possible in the theme parks...or just go to a nice resort just down the road...but we are happier when we are there..even if we don't happen to be totally immersed in theme parks anymore.
If I could only go every few years...and had to spend so much to do so like our overseas friends I am sure it would be different...but to me, if you think about it...a nine hour drive is not really that bad for the reward at the end of the road trip...even if we don't choose to do all there is to do there...we love what we do and still get the reward of an escape from everyday life even if we don't ride Splash Mountain every trip.
Sorry, I got a little wordy...but bottom line is we just like going to WDW and the Orlando area...which consists of much more than just Disney theme parks.

Last edited:

bethymouse

If staying @ a Deluxe, we generally book at discounted rates. My DH won't stay at anything but now!:greedy: So.... we just have to save $$$$$$$. I'd love to stay @ GF or AKL, even the Cont, but DH has no interest in those.:facepalm: Our next choice hopefully soon will be BC!:greedy: Otherwise our fave so far is SSR. WL a close 2nd and POLY 3rd ( only because of the $$$$).

jkl2000

The thing I remember best about Contemporary is that it seemed to be a very EASY resort to stay in. If I was a single parent taking kids to WDW, or if I had really young kids, I think the Contemporary is a good choice. The monorail being right there, everything being just outside your door - it makes things easier.

I like the Poly because it was like having two vacations at once - a WDW vacation, and a tropical paradise vacation. But there are a lot of other choices for a more Beach environment now.

jmorri26

Here's how we see it in my family (mostly it comes down to nostalgia and favorites, but...):

For deluxes, if I'm not getting at one direct access into a park, it's not a real "Deluxe" to me. The MK resorts are on the monorail and can monorail to EPCOT. Poly has a one up location wise for me because you can walk to the TTS- a major plus to me to avoid up and down those goofy ramps to switch monorails. The EPCOT deluxes we avoided for a long time for whatever reason, but after staying over they it's so hard for us to choose between MK or EPCOT deluxes. The location to EPCOT is just that good. Plus if you want you can walk or boat to HS and you could take the monorail to MK if you hike to the front. We always joke if we could move Poly to where the beach club is, we'd be in heaven. Personal preference though- we went there growing up- is Poly. It just feels like Disney to me. Plus, any way in and out of parks that doesn't require me having to pull a sleeping baby out of a stroller has a thumbs up in my book. The bus only Deluxes we'll prob never stay at.

Moderates are easy- Port Orleans has the least bus stops. After doing Caribbean beach a few times and always being at the last island stop somehow, the last thing I wanted every day after a long day of walking was to sit on that bus for half an hour in a loop around the hotel. That said, I did always like the vibe at Caribbean Beach, same with Coronado SPrings but I think the bus stoppage is similar there.

nolatron

I've stayed at the Grand Floridian, the Villas the AKL, and the Boardwalk Villas. I think by far our favorite resort is the Boardwalk. We just love theming of it and the DVC rooms are our favorite (point rentals) but we also love being able to simply walk to/from Epcot and MGM. That's 2 of 4 parks we don't have deal with transportation for.

Unless we're tired and the boats to the resorts are empty and just happen to be at the dock as we walk by :)

I'm hoping to get back the Boardwalk for our next trip when it's just the 4 of us again with no friends/relatives.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
I typically choose the one with the best shrubberies.

“First you must find... another shrubbery! Then, when you have found the shrubbery, you must place it here, beside this shrubbery, only slightly higher so you get a two layer effect with a little path running down the middle. ("A path! A path!") Then, you must cut down the mightiest tree in the forest... with... a herring!”

gostone23

Having stayed in Values, mods and Deluxe resorts as well as off site in various places, for us it was a matter of whether the Hotel was part of the entertainment.

If we intend to merely sleep there and max out our time inthe parks, etc. then we go with the Value. If we want to make the resort part of our trip and relax and enjoy some of the amenities then we do a moderate or deluxe. If Disney isn't our only reason to be in Orlando (What???? how can that be?), ie US or friends then we look offsite too.

AKL and BW are my favorites. I have yet to try the Contemporary but really want to...maybe next time. Next up is Saratoga Springs...Can't wait.

epcotisbest

Ok..I get your drift @epcotisbest..You made a valid point for your magical time..I suppose it's a bit like myself when I joined this site and mentioned I hate :mad: detest roller coasters..One person asked me " Why then,do I visit WDW " Theres a lot more to WDW than rides & attractions..:geek:
Hey, who would have guessed we have something in common...I don't care for roller coasters either.
And you are going to confuse some people when you say there is a lot more to WDW than rides and attractions...those people who think there are only rides...what are these attractions you speak of?

epcotisbest

If staying @ a Deluxe, we generally book at discounted rates. My DH won't stay at anything but now!:greedy: So.... we just have to save $$$$$$$. I'd love to stay @ GF or AKL, even the Cont, but DH has no interest in those.:facepalm: Our next choice hopefully soon will be BC!:greedy: Otherwise our fave so far is SSR. WL a close 2nd and POLY 3rd ( only because of the $$$$).
We like SSR as well. It is underrated I think because of its size and location...two things that don't bother us and we actually like...SSR is an elegant looking place with great landscaping and lovely grounds...and if you don't like the pool you are at, go to one of the other three...all four are nice pools.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom