Death at Driving Experience

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
NASCAR stock cars are designed to be traveling at nearly 200 miles per hour in groups of 75 or more on an extremely narrow track where collisions between cars are known to happen and can be far more devastating than a wreck in a street legal car.

Comparing the safety features of a NASCAR ride and a Lamborghini is like comparing apples to oranges.

yes and nascar drivers have also been killed going at the speeds of the Exotic Driving Experience and around no other cars.

I'm simply saying if street cars are on a race track going beyond street speed... they should have (in my opinion) additional safety measures

GhostHost1000

Premium Member
Actually this type of accident would almost have a similar result in a Stock car, Here is a very similar accident of a stock car sliding into a guard rail at a slightly slower speed. No car is "safe" in type of wreck, heck US crash Agency just start testing quarter front collision two years ago with most cars failing.
Footage start around a minute ten, if he was a foot or two back that guardrail would have gone through the driver compartment.

I'm betting the Lamborghini didn't have a door frame like this however - not saying it would have prevented injury or even death...but again street cars on a race track going beyond street speed should have had extra safety built into them
full_Nascar_Challenger_04.jpg

12367114424_27f6993503_z.jpg

Incomudro

yes and nascar drivers have also been killed going at the speeds of the Exotic Driving Experience and around no other cars.

I'm simply saying if street cars are on a race track going beyond street speed... they should have (in my opinion) additional safety measures

Agreed.

Look at the horrific accidents that Nascar drivers are able to walk away from.
There's a reason Nascars cars aren't "stock" cars at all.
Granted the exotic cars and even the Petty cars are not operating anywhere near there limits - well the limits of the cars anyway, I can't vouch for the drivers.
But again, an unmodified exotic production car on the track in the hands of a rank amateur is something that makes me flinch.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I don't think anyone is liable. You sign a document/hold harmless form when you agree to sit in the car and ride along. This doesn't mean they won't be sued but I feel it will be tougher to sue the pants off Disney and Richard Petty with a signed document stating you won't hold anyone liable in case of an accident/death or injury.

Fordlover

Looking at the news footage it would put the car here..

View attachment 89721

I think it was the other staging spot, off photo to the right, where the accident happened. It makes more sense as he was more likely to have lost control coming out of a turn and putting the power down. They typically run clockwise for the infield, simply based on the layout of the road course track and the driving line. I'm currious if all the electronic nannies were turned off, typically stability/traction control should have prevented the car from getting too tail happy for an inexperienced driver.

flynnibus

Premium Member
I don't think anyone is liable. You sign a document/hold harmless form when you agree to sit in the car and ride along. This doesn't mean they won't be sued but I feel it will be tougher to sue the pants off Disney and Richard Petty with a signed document stating you won't hold anyone liable in case of an accident/death or injury.

Except it was their employee that was killed.. not the customer signing a waiver. Waivers tend to be far more 'ambitious' then what legally holds up in court. Especially if you can prove willful negligence and not just 'oops'

draybook

Not to detract from the tragedy at hand, but I wonder why the reporter and his crew chose to start their report from in front of that Cici's? I'm sure that they wouldn't be able to report from on-property but I would think they would have reported from the news building or something. Sorry to seem crass, just struck me as odd.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Not to detract from the tragedy at hand, but I wonder why the reporter and his crew chose to start their report from in front of that Cici's? I'm sure that they wouldn't be able to report from on-property but I would think they would have reported from the news building or something. Sorry to seem crass, just struck me as odd.
It there a connection to Cici's Pizza that I'm unaware of? Perhaps he had just eaten and realized he had not filed his report back to the station and just had to "wing it".

draybook

It there a connection to Cici's Pizza that I'm unaware of? Perhaps he had just eaten and realized he had not filed his report back to the station and just had to "wing it".

I just thought it was an odd place to connect to a Disney World story. Or at the very least I thought they might get a piece of WDW property in the background, as the news media usually likes to have some kind of visual to sensationalize their story.

jheltz27

Has there been any news or updates on the ultimate closure of the exotic experience? Seems like there was some conflicting reports last week that they had shipped all the exotics out and pointed to the removal of that portion from their website.

peachykeen

Has there been any news or updates on the ultimate closure of the exotic experience? Seems like there was some conflicting reports last week that they had shipped all the exotics out and pointed to the removal of that portion from their website.

I drove by the track yesterday leaving MK and the yellow Porsche they had as a car to drive was parked out front of the entrance tunnel to the track. They used to park a car or two out there to draw people's attention to the track. I thought it was strange to see it there yesterday, considering the last I heard here it was supposed to be closed until May. That might have changed, I'm not sure.

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
Just wondering... has there been any details released resulting from the investigation of the accident? Also, any word if the track has been reopened?

GrumpyFan

Just wondering... has there been any details released resulting from the investigation of the accident? Also, any word if the track has been reopened?

No details have been released yet.
The Petty Experience, where they drive NASCAR style cars, is open though.

The Orlando Sentinel reported this morning that the Exotic Driving Experience will NOT reopen tomorrow (May 1), and will remain closed indefinitely. In all likelihood, it will probably not reopen.

NelsonRD

Why do experiences like these in the US make you sign a 'waiver'? From what I understand (and the legal experts can chime in) you cannot sign your civil liberties away, which includes legal rights. Therefore, making such agreements useless in the event that the facility if found at fault, and still allows a victim to seek damages.

I understand that is not the case here, just a general question from this topic.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom