Dealing with the heat

Tom

Beta Return
I wouldn't recommend swimming laps in the hotel pool and laying down on the hot concrete to dry off, but wouldn't jumping in, staying submerged in the water for a few minutes, and then heading back to the hotel room with the AC on cool you off?

Yes indeed. A "quick dip" will help cool the body and give you a refreshed feeling. However, that's not what most people do when they "go back to the resort for a break at the pool."

They'll setup camp poolside, lay in the sun, and play in the pool for an hour or more. In the middle of July, that shouldn't be used as a recovery tactic - it should be considered a major activity for that day, as it can be as strenuous on your body as a few hours in the park (where you at least get an A/C break every 30 minutes or so).

Fletch

I will throw in with others have said...stay hydrated. Having taken two August trips you can never take in enough H2O. Take advantage of the free cups of water where soda is served if need be.

TLtron

I guarantee if you can run a couple miles and have a BMI around 20 that heat won't bother you nearly as much as if you're overweight and never workout.
So I guess all of those marathon runners who were collapsing this week from heat-related illness, resulting in the marathon itself being cut short, must have been out-of-shape fatties. :rolleyes:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ts-vermont-city-marathon-first-time/85131462/

For those of us who live in reality, and not Chef Mickey's lil' fantasy world of "Orlando isn't hot" and "Heat only bothers you if you're outta shape", yes, do take it very seriously and know the warning signs of heat stroke, heat exhaustion, etc. It is very easy to become so indulged in the surroundings & activities inside the parks to miss early indications of these quiet dangers. Like others have already mentioned, fluids, clothing, and seeking air-conditioned shelter adequately can help relieve the temperature's effects.

Matt_Black

In addition to drinking water, making sure you get plenty of potassium will help, as that works with water to help the body. Sources of potassium include fruits, vegetables, nuts, certain teas, chicken, and salmon.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
Here you go... One for each park.

hall-of-presidents-gallery02.jpg

ellen-energy-adventure-gallery04.jpg

voyage-of-the-little-mermaid-00.jpg

finding-nemo-the-musical-gallery00.jpg

Chef Mickey

So I guess all of those marathon runners who were collapsing this week from heat-related illness, resulting in the marathon itself being cut short, must have been out-of-shape fatties. :rolleyes:
http://www.burlingtonfreepress.com/...ts-vermont-city-marathon-first-time/85131462/

For those of us who live in reality, and not Chef Mickey's lil' fantasy world of "Orlando isn't hot" and "Heat only bothers you if you're outta shape", yes, do take it very seriously and know the warning signs of heat stroke, heat exhaustion, etc. It is very easy to become so indulged in the surroundings & activities inside the parks to miss early indications of these quiet dangers. Like others have already mentioned, fluids, clothing, and seeking air-conditioned shelter adequately can help relieve the temperature's effects.
Running a marathon and collapsing and walking around at Disney and collapsing are two entirely different things.

Yes, I stand by my original statement. If those same marathon runners spent a day at Disney walking around, they wouldn't have collapsed. Thanks for comparing a day at the parks to running a marathon in 90 degrees.

It's 100% true that heat bothers obese and out of shape people more, so my advice is sound.

Lastly, some people trying to run the marathon were never equipped to do so. If you can't run the entire time, you need to train more and are at risk of collapsing.

Disney.Mike

I never understood why people ask how to deal with the heat. Unless you live in Alaska you have experienced hot (90+) summers. I mean water, shade, small lean meals instead of salty fatty ones, and rest have been preached for years.

I guess the easiest way is to just acclimate yourself to heat. A super athlete from Alaska will have a harder time than an obese person from Texas.

MissM

First off, for me the biggest part is preparation and wearing the right clothes. There is nothing worse than your clothes being literally SOGGY from sweat that won't dry out. Shorts you have to peel off you to pee. Tees that feel like they weigh 20lbs because they're so saturated. There is a plethora of athletic wear out there that works wonders for Disney too.

So, moisture-wicking/dri fit type shirts (many times they also have ventilated patches and some have SPF ratings.) I really like the Omni Freeze by Columbia or for guys Men's Zero Rules. Pair it with something like unlined board shorts (I have a few pairs of these by Prana too) for when you want something that looks like real shorts. Another alternative is hiking shorts. There's also athletic leggings but I don't like tight-fitting things like that personally. Though I see many people wear them. I always wear some comfortable sneakers (Nike Free or Sketchers Go Walk 3) and pair it with some compression/moisture wick socks.)

I also try to make a point to walk through every a/c store and such throughout my day as possible. Those few minutes help dry out my dri-fit clothes and it's instantly more comfortable just not being in damp, soggy, sodden clothing. That alone makes ALL the difference to me.

Sunscreen is a must! My favorite is Neutrogena with Helioplex. No greasy feeling at all. It even comes in a spray form! I have this and use it all the time. If you opt for sandals/open shoes PUT SUNSCREEN ON YOUR FEET!! So many people forget this and man, burnt feet are horrible.

Dressing right is the first step in my opinion! As a 30 year Florida resident, I live with this heat daily so this is what works best for me.

ratherbeinwdw

There is a huge difference in 95 degrees in a park and 95 in normal daily life. Not many of us stay in the heat for hours walking on concrete--which increases the heat. I never get golfer's rash on my legs at home, but when I go to Disney in late spring, summer, or early fall I do. I never get it in the other cooler times. It's the extreme heat coming off the concrete.
I live in Georgia, so we have just as high temperatures here, yet I have strategies for dealing with the heat while at Disney. So, it's perfectly reasonable for people to ask how others deal with the heat at Disney.

Sans Souci

I never understood why people ask how to deal with the heat. Unless you live in Alaska you have experienced hot (90+) summers. I mean water, shade, small lean meals instead of salty fatty ones, and rest have been preached for years.

I guess the easiest way is to just acclimate yourself to heat. A super athlete from Alaska will have a harder time than an obese person from Texas.

I think people ask because a person's typical day does not consist of standing for long periods of time in the sun, and walking around in intense sun and tropical level dew points. Most people's daily routine probably consists of getting into a car, bus or train with AC, into a workplace with AC, and back home to an abode with AC. Unless someone works in construction, spending the day in 90+ with tropical humidity is a novel situation. People also forget the sun is more intense in Florida.

Ninety plus degrees in Des Moines is simply not the same as 90+ in Orlando.

Walt Disney1955

We have gone in March for the most part. We went to Disneyland in September so that was alright too. But once we did WDW in late September early October. Well, it was still scorching. This is what we did. We loaded up on the indoor attractions in the afternoon and the outdoor ones in the morning if we could help it.

Beacon Joe

http://www.irunfar.com/2010/04/heat-acclimation-for-runners.html

In addition to choosing your activities wisely while in the parks, heat acclimation is the key. For a July visit, we make sure that we and the kids are out in the heat on long runs and bike rides several times a week beginning in May.

The other key is riding back on the monorail or launch in the early afternoon and relaxing in the air conditioned comfort of the concierge lounge for a few hours.

Killnme

After many years of football, baseball, golf, and beach time in Florida this is what I finds works best.

1- Loose clothes (My dermatologist makes me wear the Columbia PFG long sleeve shirts for sunblock they are very cool and has a SPF of 30 or higher). From playing in baseball tournaments and football practices I powder up every morning. Take extra underwear to change into when you go back to the hotel.

2- Drink, drink, and drink, more clear fluids! Ice Water, Powerade and such. 2 rules to drinking if you thirsty it is already to late so you should drink extra and if your urine is yellow you are dehydrated so keep drinking.

3- Get to the parks at opening, leave at lunch. Get in the A/C for a nap and got back after 3 pm.

Raineman

Although I've never been to Orlando in the summer, there is one thing that may be missing in this discussion, and that is the humidity. If the temperature is in the mid-90s, but the air is dry, it is easier to handle, as the high humidity tends to sap any energy you might have. Living in southern Ontario, Canada, we do get a decent amount of temps in the 90s in the summer, but what makes it bad is the high humidity levels we constantly get from being surrounded by the Great Lakes. And, when it's humid, sweating doesn't cool you, as it can't evaporate. Air conditioning would be the best way to beat the humidity-lots of cool, dry air, and, as someone already mentioned, light clothing that will dry quickly, along with staying hydrated, etc.

danyoung56

Orlando is not that hot...it rarely gets much over lower nineties.

While this is true, you're not accounting for the incredible humidity that Orlando experiences. Here in Dallas we usually have quite a few days over 100 degrees, but it's not nearly as hot, perception wise, as a 90 degree day in Orlando with sky-high humidity.

I plan on moving to Orlando in about 5 years, and the one thing I'm worried about is the heat in the summertime.

MississippiBelle

As someone who grew up in hot, Southern summers, I will say that it is a whole different ball game here than in other areas of the country. Even someone from Arizona, where temperatures on the thermometer reach way higher than they do here, can't handle the heat in the South. It's the humidity. It makes you feel like you are wearing a winter coat the second you step outside. It weighs you down and saps all of your energy.

Pro Tips from a humidity pro:
Wear light clothes. Less clothing does not necessarily mean you are going to be better off. Wearing very light, long sleeved clothing will give you added sun protection while keeping you cool.
Give up on your hair. It's just not going to look good. Everyone is in the same boat, so no one else cares, I promise. Get a good hat and wear it during the day. Also give up on your make up, ladies. It's going to come right off.
Drink lots and lots of water. Bonus trips to the bathroom mean you are spending more time in the A/C, right? You need more water than you realize, because you are sweating... a lot. Sweating is gross, but it helps keep you cool and honestly if you aren't sweating you're in trouble. Wear some deodorant and keep some moist towelettes with you to freshen up throughout the day.
While on one of your numerous bathroom breaks from tip 3, run cool water over your wrists. Instant refresh!
Avoid the parks during the middle of the day. I promise you aren't missing out on any fun from 11-3 and you'll be happier for the break. Go tour a resort you haven't been to yet or catch a movie. Summer evenings are where it's at.
Sun. Protection. You know what's worse than humidity? Being sunburned in the humidity. Wear sunscreen, clothing with SPF benefits, hats, sunglasses, and more sunscreen. Seriously.

It's not the face of the sun... That is probably more comfortable! But really, as long as you are smart about hydration, sun protection, and staying inside during the hottest part of the day you won't have any problems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom