DCL Pool Safety

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Didn't want to bring this up in the thread about the near-miss with the child yesterday. Kinda felt wrong. However, on the other fan forum, the one where the passenger/eye witness quote came from, there's all sorts of commenting (in the thread about the kid) about the safety of the pools, need for lifeguards (although apparently no cruise ships provide lifeguards), controlling pool capacity, etc. to address the overall pool safety. Wanted to maybe discuss this further. Here's what I'm thinking:

Lifeguards. Honestly, I don't personally see a need for lifeguards. If your children are smaller or you feel the pool environment is a bit on the wild side, accompany them into the pool with your full attention. That's what we used to do. But, you know, part of having children is that sometimes even with all the caution in the world bad things can and will happen. Even with lifeguards, even with the closest supervision nothing is impossible.

Limiting access/capacity enforcement. Sure limiting the capacity sounds nice but exactly how would you control it? And how many of those same people calling for this would be ranting about not being let into the pool one day because it was at capacity all day? Or their designated pool time wasn't convenient? Or the roped-off area reduces the usable deck space for non-pool-goers who have to walk longer routes to get to the other side of the ship? Even attempting this would be a can of worms that I certainly wouldn't open.

Pool/water safety. What gets me is reading several peoples' statements that towards the later afternoon the pool clarity is poor and the water is hazy. Some even say you can't clearly see the bottom of the pool anymore which blows my mind because I don't think the pools are very deep. I see these things stated about the kids/family pools, not the adult pool. I have no firsthand knowledge because we don't get in the pools on the ship nor do we get close enough to get a good look. Totally makes my head spin, tho. We don't get in the pools, especially the family pools, because they're crazy crowded. So if you walk up and kids are running/jumping all over and the pool looks unsafe, why would you proceed to get in or allow your kid to get in? And, holy smokes, I've often described these chaotic family pools as kiddie cesspools that you couldn't get another body in with a can of Crisco and a shoe horn for a reason. I shudder to think what that water quality is like. The fact that people say in the later afternoon the water is so murky you can't see the bottom turns my stomach. If that water is like that, what the heck would you allow your kid to get in it for??? I wouldn't let my dog get in water like that much less my kids! Then again, I was always a crazy clean freak when it comes to my kids coming into contact with dirt. Same with our dog. This is probably why, unlike the husband & me, we can't get them to swim in lakes or rivers even when we try. LOL!

In the end, I really think it's a situation that DCL cannot win so they leave the pools to the discretion of the parents who are, ultimately, accountable. If you get up on deck and pools are crowded or you see lots of kids running and jumping, go find something else to do. If the water looks questionable, don't get in it. If you decide to go ahead and allow your kids some pool time and you're concerned with their safety, get in with them. If adults want to lounge and relax in the sun, maybe checking the kids into the kids clubs for an hour or two while you do that in the adult area is a better option to just letting the kids go for it in the pools. The only way DCL can truly control the pool safety is to eliminate the pools altogether. Just imagine the uproar THAT would create.

I've often read that if you want a pool/resort vacation cruise ships aren't the best option for that. It's a ship. There can only be so many pools with limited deck space and they can't be big. If you have that many people vying for the pool space this is what you will have to deal with. Deal with it or go on a pool/resort vacation. Makes sense to me.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Lifeguards. Honestly, I don't personally see a need for lifeguards. If your children are smaller or you feel the pool environment is a bit on the wild side, accompany them into the pool with your full attention. That's what we used to do. But, you know, part of having children is that sometimes even with all the caution in the world bad things can and will happen. Even with lifeguards, even with the closest supervision nothing is impossible.

I see the need for lifeguards at any pool...though, I was a lifeguard, so I suppose that colors my impression. That being said, close supervision of kids in pools, especially when they are surrounded be larger, probably more excited kids, is important.

Limiting access/capacity enforcement. Sure limiting the capacity sounds nice but exactly how would you control it? And how many of those same people calling for this would be ranting about not being let into the pool one day because it was at capacity all day? Or their designated pool time wasn't convenient? Or the roped-off area reduces the usable deck space for non-pool-goers who have to walk longer routes to get to the other side of the ship? Even attempting this would be a can of worms that I certainly wouldn't open.

I agree, completely unenforceable. Capacity is easy to gauge by eyesight. For example, when I go to Typhoon Lagoon or Blizzard Beach, I can eyeball if we want to get into the wave pool or not, based on the number of people. More people = More hazard, that simple. You have no idea how the lady next to you who barely knows how to swim will react when a teenager upends her off her float, and then she drags down your kid who's bobbing happily along in the waves as she tries to thrash her way to the surface.

Pool/water safety. What gets me is reading several peoples' statements that towards the later afternoon the pool clarity is poor and the water is hazy.

I highly doubt this is true. The water is constantly treated (anyone who has owned a pool can attest to what that involves), and even when it's busy, and I've seen some busy pools in my life, I've never seen one that is murky. If you see a murky pool, I'd suggest skipping it, as most likely the chlorination / treatment system is broken. I highly doubt a pool on a Disney ship has that issue. Kids are actually less safe on beaches (believe it or not) where they can get Hep A or Hep B due to sewage outlets "upstream", not to mention other diseases and Jellyfish stings.

In the end, I think pool safety, with respect to children, is up to the parents. But, it's easy to mis-gauge a situation, and kids excited in the water can easily get out of control.

Like I said, I know...I was a lifeguard. 10 - 12 year olds don't pay much mind to 4 - 7 year olds...and what is a "fun game" for them, is torture to a younger child. Anyhow, I liked your post, just thought I'd comment.

olinecoach61

I don't understand why Disney would not have life guards at pools. They market themselves as a family cruise line I would think it would be good to insure the safety of guests on board. My local YMCA has high school kids patrolling the pools, at least that's something.

jaklgreen

I am OK with the lack of lifegaurds on the cruise line. The pools are very small and easy for you to see your child if you are watching them. I still watch my 10-11year olds in the pool. When my children were younger(under 7) I always got in the pool with them and was within a few feet of them the whole time. If I had to use the restroom then my kids would get out and sit on the pool chair and wait for me(this is what my Mom did with us also). I see it as part of being a parent, it is not fun for you to be constantly watching your kids and not swimming yourself but that is what happens when you become a parent. I personally have no problem with it but have seen my fair share of people who think that it is more important for them to have fun then their kids to be properly supervised. I have seen so many parents drinking a beer and socializing with other parents and their back is turned and no one is watching the kids in the pool.

5thGenTexan

On the Magic, there was a CM at the top of the slide and at the bottom on the slide at the Mickey pool, at least the whole time the slide was opened. The CM at the top was tasked with getting people down the slide one at a time, but the CM at the bottom in addition to getting kids off the slide so the next person go could, also kept a close eye on the rest of the pool. I watched the "bottom of the slide CM" go over to the pool to tell kids to settle down, keep adults out of the pool with thier food and drinks, do minor first aid on kids that were hurt on the slide or along side the pool. So, for a large portion of the day there is a CM at least monitoring what is going on at that one pool.

GenerationX

I wouldn't add lifeguards to the pools. As I mentioned in my trip report, they're more bobbing pools than swimming pools.

When my kids were young and my wife and I were worried about them, I always went swimming with them to keep them safe.

Now that my kids are older and have been on the local swim team for years, they go swimming with me to keep me safe.

TDF

Just coming off of the Dream I can see what you guys are saying. I think Disney needs to step up enforcement in certain areas. There where way to many kids in the pool underage without a parent. Also there where way to many kids in the hot tub underage without a parent. However I did notice that there was a CM watching Nemo’s reef the entire time the pool was open. However things happen and even with a life guard there something bad can go on.
- Justin

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
T
Are the Mickey and Goofy pools any bigger on the Dream/Fantasy than on the classic ships? There a LOT more people on the newer ships. Do the pools have more capacity?

I'm not sure, really. I know the Fantasy added the water play area, a small kid-size pool on the deck above the adult pool, and Satellite Falls which lends some relief to the 3+1 pools on the Dream. The new ships have the little pool/hot tub for Vibe that the classic ships do not.

Disneyfalcon

T

I'm not sure, really. I know the Fantasy added the water play area, a small kid-size pool on the deck above the adult pool, and Satellite Falls which lends some relief to the 3+1 pools on the Dream. The new ships have the little pool/hot tub for Vibe that the classic ships do not.

A little bit bigger, but with different shapes it's hard to say how much. The Fantasy helped the problem with the additional water features like Kelly mentioned.

Phonedave

I guess somthing happend in the pool in a DCL ship? I haven't been current on the news.

However, I will say, I have pulled my kids out of the adult pool on more than one occassion. It was to the point where I felt it was unsafe (and it takes a LOT for me to feel something is unsafe. I am FAR from a nervous nellie helicopter type of parent)

At times the pool can get nuts, especial during boarding. There are way too many kids in the family pool, it is insanely crowded, there is no CM supervision, kids are doing cannonballs all over the place, and yes, the water gets very very murky. It is my understanding that ships in general have limited filtration systems. They can do that because they change the water frequently.

At the time I was a single parent with two young kids, and it was my feeling that I could not keep my eye on both of them at the same time, and with the inability to see the bottom of the pool and all of the kids running and jumping into the pool, there was a very real possibility for an accident. So I took my kids to another activity.

During the cruise the pool never got as bad, but on sail away they can be horrible.

-dave

Nemo14

I guess somthing happend in the pool in a DCL ship? I haven't been current on the news.

However, I will say, I have pulled my kids out of the adult pool on more than one occassion. It was to the point where I felt it was unsafe (and it takes a LOT for me to feel something is unsafe. I am FAR from a nervous nellie helicopter type of parent)

At times the pool can get nuts, especial during boarding. There are way too many kids in the adult pool, it is insanely crowded, there is no CM supervision, kids are doing cannonballs all over the place, and yes, the water gets very very murky. It is my understanding that ships in general have limited filtration systems. They can do that because they change the water frequently.

At the time I was a single parent with two young kids, and it was my feeling that I could not keep my eye on both of them at the same time, and withthe inability to see the bottom of the pool and all of the kids running and jumping into the pool, there was a very real possibility for an accident. So I took my kids to another activity.

During the cruise the pool never got as bad, but on sail away they can be horrible.

-dave

http://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/so-sad.862525/

Phonedave

Yep, just went and read that thread. I can easily see that happening, especially with a 4 year old.

Without knowing the facts, I can say if the parents were watching or what the story was.

But I can say, that it appears it was during sail away. As I said, that time in the pool is INSANE. My girls were older (we started crusing whem my youngest was 6 or 7) and they could swim, but it still made me leery.

I was standing in the pool and got smacked by a number of kids who were jumping in. I can totally see a small child sitting on the ledge around the pool in the 1' deep water getting pushed in by kids running around, the kid going under and people not being able to find him for some time. It is murky, packed with people and very very noisy.

I have video somwhere shot be me during sailaway from in the pool. I think it is on another computer (one with no internet access right now). Later I may dig around and see if I can find it.

-dave

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Well my DS returned from his first cruise. (The accident cruise thread So Sad is locked understandably.) As I stated on that thread my DS started his Disney Career as a Lifeguard and has been upper management of a large water park, a lifeguard instructor for the firm Disney uses to train and my DD is currently a manager for the same good sized waterpark and also a lifeguard instructor. In my day I was also trained. See what we get our kids into?

Anyhow I said I come back to it when he was able to objectively observe from his background and the standards he was also trained for at Disney. What he came back to say is he couldn't be around the free for all pool area.
He looked and looked away, he didn't want it to ruin his trip, didn't want to continue to watch what he was observing. Just couldn't.

sweetpee_1993

Original Poster
Well my DS returned from his first cruise. (The accident cruise thread So Sad is locked understandably.) As I stated on that thread my DS started his Disney Career as a Lifeguard and has been upper management of a large water park, a lifeguard instructor for the firm Disney uses to train and my DD is currently a manager for the same good sized waterpark and also a lifeguard instructor. In my day I was also trained. See what we get our kids into?

Anyhow I said I come back to it when he was able to objectively observe from his background and the standards he was also trained for at Disney. What he came back to say is he couldn't be around the free for all pool area.
He looked and looked away, he didn't want it to ruin his trip, didn't want to continue to watch what he was observing. Just couldn't.

Yep. I wouldn't get in the middle of that chaos for anything. It's insane. I took a couple pics on our recent cruise of the insane pool deck. Words do it no justice.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I was the second poster on this thread, and I have nothing to add to that post...

Outside of the fact there is no way...NO WAY...I would let my kid, even at age 10 (which she isn't) into a pool alone and without very close supervision, meaning, me no more than a few (not a few dozen) feet away...

But, since I did a stint as a lifeguard (nothing like @Gabe1's kids, but a lifeguard none-the-less), I may be a bit more paranoid about these sorts of things.

Until she can tread water for 10 minutes, and complete a free-dive test holding her breath, and is large enough to punch the numbnuts 13 year old who is not observed and gets overly excited and decides it's fun to dunk other kids (or just make general ruckus) in the face and leave a mark...I don't trust her unobserved around any pool.

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yep. I wouldn't get in the middle of that chaos for anything. It's insane. I took a couple pics on our recent cruise of the insane pool deck. Words do it no justice.
I was the second poster on this thread, and I have nothing to add to that post...

Outside of the fact there is no way...NO WAY...I would let my kid, even at age 10 (which she isn't) into a pool alone and without very close supervision, meaning, me no more than a few (not a few dozen) feet away...

But, since I did a stint as a lifeguard (nothing like @Gabe1's kids, but a lifeguard none-the-less), I may be a bit more paranoid about these sorts of things.

Until she can tread water for 10 minutes, and complete a free-dive test holding her breath, and is large enough to punch the numbnuts 13 year old who is not observed and gets overly excited and decides it's fun to dunk other kids (or just make general ruckus) in the face and leave a mark...I don't trust her unobserved around any pool.

I wonder about cruise ships. Pools all have maximum capacity. Is that waved at Sea?

I guess it is because it is so insane and also our families background in lifeguarding I still would prefer lifeguards on the cruise decks. (setting aside the circumstances of the poor child who is still fighting his way back, pixie dust, those circumstances were different than supervision) Agreed, too many people view lifeguards as baby sitters which they are not, yep, get in the water with your kid. However, things happen to all us parents, at a pool, riding a bike, kids dart in a split second, it can happen to any of us so I favor lifeguards in pools, especially crowded ones.

The one thing I can suggest that I did when my kids were small was to invest in a child sized COAST GUARD APPROVED (they have a seal) life jacket. I always took them to Disney with us. Most resorts, including Disney and muncipal pools allow these private jackets. Lifeguards will check for the seal and you do have to buy a new one every year or two for proper fit which is critical or if too big slips up towards head. At Target, about $25-30. Again, not in lieu of supervision but another layer of water safety for the small.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom