Darker Haunted Mansion?

koalacat

Original Poster
Hello! I(f this isn't the the best place to post this or if it has been asked before please feel free to move or delete) I rode the HM tonight and I noticed the lighting was much much darker than in the past. Does anyone know why that is? It made it much more spooky especially in the graveyard scene.

koalacat

Original Poster
We went on around 10pm. And GhostHost1000, exactly! The graveyard scene was super dark. I remember last year when I rode that I could clearly see the pop up ghosts before they....popped...and last night I couldnt.

ToTBellHop

We went on around 10pm. And GhostHost1000, exactly! The graveyard scene was super dark. I remember last year when I rode that I could clearly see the pop up ghosts before they....popped...and last night I couldnt.
Yep. Leota scene was also improved. Before the refurb, you could see the strings that are "levitating" everything. Now, the illusion works really well.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Unfortunately the last time I rode the scrims were very visible in the graveyard, causing some disconnect for me. Especially in front of the Fat Lady singing.
Ops added a light on purpose to catch the scrim in front of the opera singers. Not my choice but it's on purpose.

Bocabear

they used to have mist effects projected on the scrims back in the 70s but I have not seen that effect used in decades...and last time I was in there it was WAY too bright....so, glad to hear they are lowering the light levels again...

koalacat

Original Poster
Ya I'd say the light levels overall in the attraction were lower..even in the hallway with the doors, I liked it. I wouldn't say the scrimshaw looked dirty lol, I'd say they were doing their job nicely, didn't really notice them which is nice because I remember seeing them before(I do theatre so I'm apt to notice those kinds of things) all in all the attraction looked good

gibson12

I felt like it was done in some places that didn't especially need lower light and that too many details were too difficult to see. I think maybe the library was one--I could only tell there was a table with books because I already knew it was there.

Now, some of the low light videos that are popping up might give away too much for some people's taste. I would say to anyone who feels like they're missing something to find Martin's 2009 HD edit. He highlights every little last detail (over an hour!) but it's all under show lighting.

Bocabear

Ya I'd say the light levels overall in the attraction were lower..even in the hallway with the doors, I liked it. I wouldn't say the scrimshaw looked dirty lol, I'd say they were doing their job nicely, didn't really notice them which is nice because I remember seeing them before(I do theatre so I'm apt to notice those kinds of things) all in all the attraction looked good
If you didn't notice the scrims, that means they were clean...it is dust that makes them visibe...

koalacat

Original Poster
Well perhaps they may have been dusty. But it's more likely that the lights fell out of focus, and when they do they end up hitting it in a less desirable angle which makes the scrim material more visible .

Gringrinngghost

I noted that when I was on it in late august. I'll give you two answers:

1. It's because the scrims as @marni1971 said are dirty, and or the light's if they aren't LED are dying.
2. It's a cost cutting measure by TDO due to Shanghai

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom