curious about River Country?

voodoo321

Not only are there brain and flesh eating bacteria in Bay Lake, there are amoebas that consume human spinal fluid as well as tiny fish that swim into and lodge themselves into a person's urethra. Not to mention the child eating alligators. That's why they closed River Country and no longer allow swimming in the lake.

Squigglove

Not only are there brain and flesh eating bacteria in Bay Lake, there are amoebas that consume human spinal fluid as well as tiny fish that swim into and lodge themselves into a person's urethra. Not to mention the child eating alligators. That's why they closed River Country and no longer allow swimming in the lake.

Stop that. You're making me dizzy!

Chef Mickey

They are slowly allowing EPCOT to become another abandoned park, but might as well get people to pay to see a shell of its former self in the meantime.

Daniel Johnson

I don't see how they could possibly build anything else on top of this kind of rot. The decay is just too extensive at this point and I think it's obvious they'd rather spare the cost. Even though so much of that material is recyclable.
If it didn't have brain-eating bacteria in it before it certainly does by now. I can't imagine people wanting to trespass there, I'm seriously germaphobic and just looking at the pictures makes me queasy!

ETA: re: the video of girl doesn't care she got banned
It must be nice to be more concerned about people watching a video you made than with being banned from a park like Disney. I just don't get the priority.
If they could build over the previous swamp that was where wdw now sits, they can demo river country and start a new.

Also, that chick is totally ridiculous. Her videos of her going in river country isn't anything I would do. Well, not on video, and for sure wouldn't post it to a media site...And to lose my annual pass because I massed a could hundred thousand views And refuse to take it down...kids today's priorities are seriously warped.

Last edited:

Daniel Johnson

Yeah but they kept letting her in even though she's "banned"
From the sounds of it, they are trying to persuade her to take down her video. Honestly, I think they if they find people or evidence someone tresspassed on their property like she did, they should press charges. It seems like a badge of honor with this girl, a little night in a holding cell would change that. I got busted in high school sneaking into a movie theater...Having to call my parents with a sheriff's officer was enough for me. Never did it again.
Yes, river country is cool to see in its current state, and regardless of Disney's rules, people will continue to want to see it. The chances are too much for me though. I wouldn't risk being black balled from the park.

MICKEYMOO42

Original Poster
Yeah same but if people see her video and know their magic band won't work but Disney will keep giving passes into the park they'll keep doing it. I just don't get their reasoning behind banning somebody but then giving them a pass into the park

Tonka's Skipper

There are indeed bacterial and amoeba type varmints all over Florida and other southern lakes. Some children have died of the infections. However, sadly, the main reason RC was closed down was because Disney built TL and BB and the attendance at RC dropped to the point they didn't see the need to keep it open.

AKK

Dead2009

Horror Movie Guru
Yeah, if you value your WDW visits, I'd strongly suggest not exploring. That's the type of stuff that got youtube user, Adamthewoo banned. Anyway, speaking of the man, he visited RC in 2010. Of course, he youtubed his experience and here it is
While I'm pretty sure no one is entirely sure as to why the park closed, the most logical reasoning (imo) would be that RC was fairly small compared to the other two. When it closed in '01 BB had already been opened for 6 years. Blizzard Beach is muuuuuuuuuuch larger, therefore, not only more rides, but bigger rides and more to do in general. While it seems like there was concern about parasites and such in the water, I don't believe it was ever proven.

I could be wrong on any of this, I do a lot of reading about this particular subject and everywhere I read tends to say something different.

I'm honestly more curious about Discovery Island. I read an article a while back on a group of people swimming there, but no matter where I look I can never find the article again only other articles alluding to that one.

He also snuck into several areas at Epcot where he wasnt supposed to be. Exploring River Country wasnt the sole reason for his banning though.

Daniel Johnson

Yeah same but if people see her video and know their magic band won't work but Disney will keep giving passes into the park they'll keep doing it. I just don't get their reasoning behind banning somebody but then giving them a pass into the park
Your 100% right. I didn't catch that. They shouldn't be wishy washy about it.

WDWVolFan

I just read an article on this subject and it pretty much pointed out a few things:
- Size in comparison to BB
- Brain eating bacteria or ameba was a reason but not the main reason. Only three people got sick in all years it was open.
- 9/11 led to Disney losing a lot of tourists and costs to improve water quality and run an old and small water park under the economic climate back then made no sense.
I believe the abandoned Pop Century building was abandoned due to similar reasons.

Gringrinngghost

From the sounds of it, they are trying to persuade her to take down her video. Honestly, I think they if they find people or evidence someone tresspassed on their property like she did, they should press charges. It seems like a badge of honor with this girl, a little night in a holding cell would change that. I got busted in high school sneaking into a movie theater...Having to call my parents with a sheriff's officer was enough for me. Never did it again.
Yes, river country is cool to see in its current state, and regardless of Disney's rules, people will continue to want to see it. The chances are too much for me though. I wouldn't risk being black balled from the park.
The document she got was just a warning. I've might of taken photos of RC from a pontoon boat I've rented from Disney.

FhkoTGll.jpg

BCqCBaLl.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I just read an article on this subject and it pretty much pointed out a few things:
- Size in comparison to BB
- Brain eating bacteria or ameba was a reason but not the main reason. Only three people got sick in all years it was open.
- 9/11 led to Disney losing a lot of tourists and costs to improve water quality and run an old and small water park under the economic climate back then made no sense.
I believe the abandoned Pop Century building was abandoned due to similar reasons.
It was. Construction on the project came to an abrupt halt shortly after 9/11. They elected to finish the first half and Pop opened about a year late. It would be nearly a decade before the second partially completed half would be finished an open as Art of Animation.

WDWVolFan

It was. Construction on the project came to an abrupt halt shortly after 9/11. They elected to finish the first half and Pop opened about a year late. It would be nearly a decade before the second partially completed half would be finished an open as Art of Animation.
Isn't the abandoned building still there!

WDWVolFan

Technically yes. The abandoned buildings were used and now make up the Little Mermaid section and the Loby/food court of AoA.
Technically yes. The abandoned buildings were used and now make up the Little Mermaid section and the Loby/food court of AoA.
in April I was at a conference at the Swan and Dolphin and as you're exiting I-4 or another highway to get into the smack of WDW to the right while exiting, I saw a hotel building amongst tall grass and trees sitting there abandoned. I was not the driver and was talking to the driver so I don't recall where that was in WDW but is there another All Star Resort or AoA that has a building sitting there that was never finished?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
in April I was at a conference at the Swan and Dolphin and as you're exiting I-4 or another highway to get into the smack of WDW to the right while exiting, I saw a hotel building amongst tall grass and trees sitting there abandoned. I was not the driver and was talking to the driver so I don't recall where that was in WDW but is there another All Star Resort or AoA that has a building sitting there that was never finished?
I don't know of any abandoned or abandoned looking buildings along the Disney side of I-4 and I am 100% positive that everything left over from Pop Century's initial construction was used.

Is it possible that you came in from the west side of property? There are several hotels under construction at Flamingo Crossings that could be mistaken fro something old at 60 mph.

IMG_3050-1200x799.jpg
IMG_3051-1200x642.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom