Cruising with Autism?

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
As some may know from reading my trip report, our last trip to WDW wasn't as magical as I would've liked it to be. Though he's always had some issues, it wasn't until this trip that my son's recent autism diagnosis became something that changed the way we vacationed.

In order to best explain my question I (somewhat unfortunately) need to share a little detail as to what made the trip so rough. Generally, to keep my son happy, the trip essentially became a very expensive shopping spree with more time spent in shops than visiting rides/attractions. We also had a very scary event happen on our first night where my son attempted to leave my car whilst going 45mph down World Blvd. When things were going well and we weren't shopping it was because we were spending time at the AoA pools.

Though we didn't realize it in the moment we've since come to realize that most of the problems we experienced in January were most likely due to sensory overload (something we hadn't had issues with in the past). Generally the craziness of days in the parks, waiting in lines (or waiting for our DAC to tell us it was time to come back), the masses of people, the sheer volume (sound) of being in a Disney park and a mix of the anxiety he experienced as a result coupled with his excitement of being back in his favorite place was just too much for him.

Because we frankly can't afford to drop $3k on a trip and then spend an additional $1.5k on "stuff," we had to make the decision to not return for a bit until we can get some of these things a little better under control.

Of course this decision has lead me to investigating other vacation options, both Disney and otherwise. I keep coming back to the option of a Disney Cruise but quite honestly am not sure what to expect. I've read lots of trip reports and gotten the DVDs but I'm still not sure. My husband's biggest concern is a bit morbid and regards the ability to take a leap into the ocean but I'm not sure I share that concern.

After all that explanation I guess here are my main questions:
1) Is there something similar to the DAC in place on the cruises that potentially allows for some sort of considerations to be in place such as possibly having a person who works with my son or, for lack of a better way of putting it, is his shadow while he attends the "kids only" type things?

2) Is the atmosphere on the ships a little less crazy than being in the parks? Is it more laid back? Are there more relaxing/quiet options for kids?

3) Understanding the age "limits" put on the kids only activities, would there be consideration given to allow a child who is in age at one place but in maturity at another (i.e. my son is 9 but would probably enjoy activities meant for those a little younger more than those meant for his age)?

4) Is food always available throughout the day or only at specific meal times? Is food included in the price of the cruise?

5) Just how many souvenir shops are there on the ships?

6) Assuming we chose an option that took us to Castaway Cay, what exactly is that time off the ship like?

Answers to these questions as well as any other information you think may be helpful would be unbelievably appreciated. I'm already suffering from a bit of Disney withdrawal and if cruising would be a good option for us it's something I'll start to consider more seriously. Thanks in advance to everyone!

ChuckElias

Because we frankly can't afford to drop $3k on a trip and then spend an additional $1.5k on "stuff," we had to make the decision to not return for a bit until we can get some of these things a little better under control.
I'm sorry that your last vacation proved to have so many challenges. A visit to WDW is supposed to be fun, relaxing, magical; and it sounds as though you may have had a different experience this last time.

So I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, but I haven't had to face the issues that your family is dealing with, so I've never had to think about some of your questions. I'm sorry that my answers will be incomplete.

1) Is there something similar to the DAC in place on the cruises that potentially allows for some sort of considerations to be in place such as possibly having a person who works with my son or, for lack of a better way of putting it, is his shadow while he attends the "kids only" type things?
It appears that there is NOT a "shadow" cast member available for special needs kids. They do make note of any special needs, so all the team members in the kids' clubs would be aware of your son's autism, but they would not have one team member tasked with checking on him specifically.

Additionally, there is no accommodation for long lines for character meet-and-greets, unfortunately. I know in the parks, you can get a specific time to come back that allows you to wait outside of the line. But that's not available on board.

2) Is the atmosphere on the ships a little less crazy than being in the parks? Is it more laid back? Are there more relaxing/quiet options for kids?
I personally think it's more laid back. There are crazy times, as you might expect. The atrium tends to get a little crazy at dinner time; the lines can be long to meet the characters; disembarking for a shore visit can be hectic and crowded; the family pool is often very crowded and noisy. But overall, my own opinion is that there are a lot more times where you're not being crowded and bumped by other people.

3) Understanding the age "limits" put on the kids only activities, would there be consideration given to allow a child who is in age at one place but in maturity at another (i.e. my son is 9 but would probably enjoy activities meant for those a little younger more than those meant for his age)?
At 9 years old, I was told that he'll be able to participate in any of the activities for the 3-12 year old kids. They're free to wander between age groups. I didn't remember that from when my daughter was in the Oceaneer's Club, but the DCL rep told me that it would be ok. So your son should be able to find an activity that he likes with kids his own age or with kids slightly younger.

4) Is food always available throughout the day or only at specific meal times? Is food included in the price of the cruise?
There are designated meal times in the ships restaurants, but there is "counter service" food available from 10 or 11 am until about 11 p.m. There is also room service available at no charge, which I believe is available 24 hours a day.

There are between 2 - 4 shops on each ship that sell typical souvenirs like t-shirts, handbags, mugs, etc. There are also a couple of adult-oriented shops that sell high end perfumes, watches, etc. And then there's the duty-free shop that sells alcohol (and maybe cigarettes?).

6) Assuming we chose an option that took us to Castaway Cay, what exactly is that time off the ship like?
It is whatever you make of it. There is a HUGE family beach, where you can find a chair or hammock and just relax. The kids' clubs also operate on the island, so if your son LOVES the club, he could simply stay with the Youth Activities team for the day. There's an adults-only beach which is typically much quieter than the family beach, but your son wouldn't be allowed there. It's for 18-year-olds and older.

There are also lots of fun activities available from snorkeling to jet-skiing to parasailing to feeding the sting-rays. And a lot more. It can be as calm or as active as you want.

I hope that's helpful. Please let us know what you decide and how your son reacts to a cruise experience if that's what you choose.

EOD K9

I think the only thing he cannot do is hang out in Small World Nursery. I believe the age limit is 3 max. Also, the railings on the top decks are about chest high.
There are a few shops on the Disney Dream. That being said, they are closed when the ship is in port. This includes Castaway Cay.

Tom

Beta Return
The cruise ships have a far more laid back feel to them. Aside from the obviously hectic areas like the pool deck, everything else is either calm & relaxing, or "organized chaos". They have parties on deck, which are loud and exciting, but they're contained to a small area. You can ALWAYS find a nice, quiet place to sit for a while - even if it's the window or veranda in your own stateroom. But there is no level of insanity that you have at the parks.

You can eat nearly 24/7. They have the fixed meal times, but they also have a buffet open for those who don't want to do the table service meals. They have snack stands on the pool deck with food similar to the QS places in the parks. They also have a soft serve ice cream bar, open until pretty late. And ALL of this is included.

A couple gift shops, but not enough merchandise to bankrupt you. Mostly novelties, apparel, and then some high end shops with duty-free products like perfumes, colognes, watches and jewelry.

It's just like going to a beach, except it's not packed to the gills. Childless adults will go down to the secluded Adult Beach. Families will spread out on the Family Beach. High energy folk will rent sailboats or jetskis and play in their designated area. You can get as much free BBQ and ice cream as you like up on the plaza area. And since the ship pulls up to the dock, you can enter and leave the ship as often as you want. We prefer the ship's lunch buffet over the food served in the island, so we get back on the ship for lunch. Castaway day is also a great time to take advantage of the near empty pool and water features.

Answers to these questions as well as any other information you think may be helpful would be unbelievably appreciated. I'm already suffering from a bit of Disney withdrawal and if cruising would be a good option for us it's something I'll start to consider more seriously. Thanks in advance to everyone!
Cruising with Disney is a great option. You can't go wrong, and I believe you'll find something to suit everyone's needs.

MaryJaneP

Not that we are aware of. You could certainly tell the room attendant and waitstaff in the restaurants that you son could benefit from special handiling, but maybe not to the extent you seem to be asking about.

We think the atmosphere on ship is much, much less crazy than in the parks. However, it is unclear if a very much slower atmosphere will be amenable to your son. We would be worried about the significant down time between activities as possibly being too boring for him based upon your description. We also have some family members that will not take their sons on a cruise because they fear (unjustly we think) an overboard situation. We love, love, love DCL, the ships, the Cruises, and Castaway Cay. We think it is fair to say that they may not be suitable for everyone.

We do not know. We would be worried if our kid was on the opposite end of the spectrum (younger with an older kid in the same activity)

As many have previously stated, food is generally available from many locations throughout the day. Room service is even available "off hours". As previously stated, most food is included in the cost of the cruise. Certain exceptions (i.e. Alcoholic drinks) apply.

As stated above depending on your ship choice, the number of shops may vary. Also be aware that the shops are closed whenever the ship is in port (not sure about Castaway Cay). We also thought you were trying to avoid the expense of shopping. This is not included in the reservation.

Again, as stated above, there are lots of activities, food, and shopping opportunities on Castaway Cay. We enjoyed snorkeling and the kids did the stingray activity. We like being off-ship at Castaway Cay but found it very possible we may employ the above advice concerning an empty pool and buffet choices on board while everyone else is ashore at Castaway Cay.

Hoping your family has a great trip whatever decision you make.

NYwdwfan

While there are tons of activities on a cruise and it sounds like an awesome experience, I think you should first consider if your son would be ok with being on a boat. I have friends that don't cruise because the idea of being in the middle of an ocean freaks them out. If he doesn't like boats, once you're on it, you can change the activities you are doing and change the scenery of where you are, but there are going to be times when you are limited to being on the boat - albeit a huge one! Do you think he would be ok with that?

Last edited:

ExtinctJenn

Original Poster
Thank you EVERYONE for the unbelievably awesome responses. I totally didn't expect this much detail or to have read everything and come out of it feeling like maybe it's time for me to look into cruising a little more seriously. Lucky the couple concerns you all brought up are things I wouldn't worry so much about with my son so that's great news and all of the other answers truly make me feel like this could be a great option to take a Disney vacation without it being at the parks. Thank you so so very much to all of you!

NYwdwfan

Thank you EVERYONE for the unbelievably awesome responses. I totally didn't expect this much detail or to have read everything and come out of it feeling like maybe it's time for me to look into cruising a little more seriously. Lucky the couple concerns you all brought up are things I wouldn't worry so much about with my son so that's great news and all of the other answers truly make me feel like this could be a great option to take a Disney vacation without it being at the parks. Thank you so so very much to all of you!

Keep us posted! I'm sure there are a lot of people interested in hearing what a great trip you have. :)

CB2@disney

My son has Asperger's and ADHD together. Traveling can be a challenge. I'm sorry to hear that your visit to WDW hasn't fun they are usually really good with that. We've only had one melt down in the last 3 visits. We love the cruise. My son finds that there are lots of places he can escape if he needs to. All of the counselors have been very nice and helpful as well as our servers at meal times. We never felt really crowed except the last night at Shutter's. I ended up sending him back to our cabin and looking at the pics myself that night.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom