Cruise tips

G00fyDad

Original Poster
There are many threads dealing with tipping, but I am having difficulty compiling a comprehensive list of all tipping occasions while on a ship.

Can anyone tell me what tips I should expect (even the typically unforeseen tips) to have ready or pay at the end on our trip? We are looking to go on the three day October 7th, 2016 cruise to Nassau.

Bolna

12 $ total per person per day for your server (4$), assistant server (3$), head server (1$) and stateroom host (4$). If you want to add more or tip less, you can go to guest services and have the tips adjusted. You can also prepay the tips to DCL if you want to have it covered before the cruise.

On all purchases of alcoholic drinks there is an auto gratuity of 15%.

At the spa all services have an auto gratuity of 18%.

If you eat at Palo, you will want to tip there as well. The amount is up to you and from what I have read, it varies widely. Some people don't tip, or tip 5$, others tip far more.

If you order room service you might want to give the delivery person a cash tip of a couple of dollars. If you don't have any singles with you, I never had any problem to get guest services break up a larger note for me.

It is also customary to tip your guides/drivers if you go on excursions.

I think this is all.

Bolna

Well, I am not sure how large your party is, but for a three night cruise that would be a large amount! Unless you have several people eating at Remy (which I forgot, same deal as with Palo, but since it is more high end, people tip more there) or drink a lot, I think you should be well below 200$.

Bolna

We have three people (Me, my wife, and 13 year old son).

Ok, so that is 3 days 3 persons of 12 $, so 108 $ for the standard tips. So, if you buy the premium wine package with three bottles, that would be an additional 20 $ in tips (15% of 136 $ price of the premium wine package). If you then add in one meal at Palo tipping for two, it seems most people would tip around 20$ to 50$ for a couple, we are now up to 170$. On a short cruise you will not find the time to order room service that often, but let's say you have a room service breakfast each day, that would be 2$ for each delivery, so another 6$. Let's say you also have three drinks each every day. Drink prices vary, the drink of the day is under 6$, the high end martinis in the bars are 14$. So let's take an average drink price of10$. Three each per day would come to a total bill of 180$, so 15% of that would be 27$. Now we are up to 203$! But that is a lot of alcohol!! Of course if you then add in some fancy spa treatments, it will go up even further. But my suggestion would be to not budget any spa tips in the tip budget, but have those factored into the spa budget.

So, 108$ is the bare minimum in tips that you will definitely encounter, the rest really just depends on how much you spend on alcohol, spa and upgraded dining at Palo and Remy. On a first cruise, which is a short one, I would not do Palo or Remy and just enjoy the main dining rooms. So, I would budget about 150$ and think that would even be a very safe budget.

And I forgot another tipping opportunity! The porters at the port which take your luggage when you check in. The usual guidelines about how to tip someone who handles your luggage apply here. There is also the opportunity to have a porter help you with your luggage when you get off the ship. I have never used them for that, but some people find them very useful when they have lots of bags.

Hope this helps!

ChuckElias

Ok, so that is 3 days 3 persons of 12 $, so 108 $ for the standard tips. . .
LOL, Bolna! I just started to work out the math, just as you did. But I figured that $200 was close enough and didn't want to type it all out. :) Thanks for doing the homework for me.

let's say you have a room service breakfast each day, that would be 2$ for each delivery
Normally, when we get room service, they give me a slip to sign. It's zero dollars, but there's a line to write in a tip, and I always write in $2. But on our most recent cruise last month (on the Magic), they didn't give us anything to sign and I didn't usually have cash singles on me at 7:30 a.m. So there were several mornings when I didn't tip the delivery guy, and I felt bad about it.

Bolna

LOL, Bolna! I just started to work out the math, just as you did. But I figured that $200 was close enough and didn't want to type it all out. :) Thanks for doing the homework for me.

I just got curious as to how the math would come out in the end!

Normally, when we get room service, they give me a slip to sign. It's zero dollars, but there's a line to write in a tip, and I always write in $2. But on our most recent cruise last month (on the Magic), they didn't give us anything to sign and I didn't usually have cash singles on me at 7:30 a.m. So there were several mornings when I didn't tip the delivery guy, and I felt bad about it.

I usually bring a bunch of singles with me and they go in the safe. After I ordered room service I just get out a couple of them and put them somewhere where they are handy to then pass on when the food is delivered. Usually next to the ice bucket. I don't ever have any money on me when I am on the ship, so that works well. I have never gotten a slip to sign, but then we don't order a lot of room service either.

ChuckElias

I have never gotten a slip to sign, but then we don't order a lot of room service either.
My wife loves to have coffee and croissants on the verandah, so we have room service several mornings each cruise. I guess I will have to start bringing singles on board.

Bolna

My wife loves to have coffee and croissants on the verandah, so we have room service several mornings each cruise. I guess I will have to start bringing singles on board.

Or get a ten dollar note changed into singles by guest services. They were happy to do that for me.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
I am already in a panic about the cruise anyway because we have never gone on a cruise before as a family. (I did once when I was 17 but I handled NONE of the money). The idea of "hidden" costs completely scares me to death here. I know that there are costs associated with excursions, taxi services, etc... but I do not want to get that bill at the end and see a huge amount we owe.

I got the following information on some Disney Cruise site: (Is this not accurate or did I read it wrong?)

Resturant Server
$12.00 (per person per day)
Resturant Assistant Server
$9.00 (per person per day)
Head Server
$3.00 (per person per day)
Stateroom Host(ess)

For our group this would total: $324

Other than room service and bell services what else would we tip for?

ChuckElias

Resturant Server
Head Server
Stateroom Host(ess)
No, no, no. This is not correct. Go back to Bolna's first response in this thread. Your gratuities are $12 per day per person. That covers all four of your "standard" tips. Bolna already broke it down for you.

Take a deep breath. :) You're still ok. The gratuities aren't THAT bad!

G00fyDad

Original Poster
No, no, no. This is not correct. Go back to Bolna's first response in this thread. Your gratuities are $12 per day per person. That covers all four of your "standard" tips. Bolna already broke it down for you.

Take a deep breath. :) You're still ok. The gratuities aren't THAT bad!

:D Thanks. I would have been fine with the $300+, but I just want to know about it ahead of time. LOL I am going to book that portion of the trip with KK so they can help out a lot with the majority of the situation. The tips just scared me. :D

Bolna

I am already in a panic about the cruise anyway because we have never gone on a cruise before as a family. (I did once when I was 17 but I handled NONE of the money). The idea of "hidden" costs completely scares me to death here. I know that there are costs associated with excursions, taxi services, etc... but I do not want to get that bill at the end and see a huge amount we owe.

I got the following information on some Disney Cruise site: (Is this not accurate or did I read it wrong?)

Resturant Server
Head Server
Stateroom Host(ess)

For our group this would total: $324

Other than room service and bell services what else would we tip for?

Ah. the Disney site tells you the amount per guest per cruise, not per night!! So, it comes out to exactly the 108$ as I said. :)

One of the great things of cruising is that there are not a lot of hidden costs! If you don't want to spend any money besides the 108$ you could have a perfect vacation without paying anything over what you already paid in your cruise fare. Alcohol, bingo, excursions, Palo, Remy, spa, souvenirs ... all is optional. However, they are really good in making you want to spend additional money for all these services, so beware! It is easy to just get out that Key to the World card and pay and not see how much money you have already spent. I guess that's why they introduced Magic Bands at WDW to get that same effect! ;)

I would definitely recommend using a travel agent that knows DCL for your first cruise as they will be able to help you with a lot of your questions. Also, have a look at the FAQ thread here on the top, lots of great information collected there. Cruising is an easy and relaxed way of traveling, no need to stress out about planning it!! Take a breath and don't be too nervous!! :)

Hope you will have a fabulous cruise!

And one last tip: If in any way possible, I would recommend to go on a 4-nighter instead of a 3-nighter as it will give you more time on the ship to explore and enjoy and relax!

G00fyDad

Original Poster
Ah. the Disney site tells you the amount per guest per cruise, not per night!! So, it comes out to exactly the 108$ as I said. :)

One of the great things of cruising is that there are not a lot of hidden costs! If you don't want to spend any money besides the 108$ you could have a perfect vacation without paying anything over what you already paid in your cruise fare. Alcohol, bingo, excursions, Palo, Remy, spa, souvenirs ... all is optional. However, they are really good in making you want to spend additional money for all these services, so beware! It is easy to just get out that Key to the World card and pay and not see how much money you have already spent. I guess that's why they introduced Magic Bands at WDW to get that same effect! ;)

I would definitely recommend using a travel agent that knows DCL for your first cruise as they will be able to help you with a lot of your questions. Also, have a look at the FAQ thread here on the top, lots of great information collected there. Cruising is an easy and relaxed way of traveling, no need to stress out about planning it!! Take a breath and don't be too nervous!! :)

Hope you will have a fabulous cruise!

And one last tip: If in any way possible, I would recommend to go on a 4-nighter instead of a 3-nighter as it will give you more time on the ship to explore and enjoy and relax!

Thank you for all of this information. It really helps. :D

We have to stick with the 3 night trip because my wife gets motion sick in a car and we want as few days as possible for our first cruise in case she gets sick. I am sure they have an infirmary with an onboard doctor right? Maybe she can get some Zofran if she gets sick. I just want to minimize the days she has "ruined" if she is completely ill the entire time on the ship. LOL

Bolna

Thank you for all of this information. It really helps. :D

We have to stick with the 3 night trip because my wife gets motion sick in a car and we want as few days as possible for our first cruise in case she gets sick. I am sure they have an infirmary with an onboard doctor right? Maybe she can get some Zofran if she gets sick. I just want to minimize the days she has "ruined" if she is completely ill the entire time on the ship. LOL

Ok, I understand that! She should discuss motion sickness medication with her doctor before the cruise. I have read that it is best to start taking it a day before the cruise already as it works best if it is in your system when the moving starts.

I get easily motion sick in cars (can't read and sometimes sitting in the back of the car is already making me sick), but did not have any troubles on our cruises so far despite some pretty rough seas. So, hopefully it is the same for your wife!

There is a doctor on board, but visits are not cheap.

ChuckElias

We have to stick with the 3 night trip because my wife gets motion sick in a car and we want as few days as possible for our first cruise in case she gets sick.
I have one word for you: Bonine. I know everything doesn't work for everybody; but Bonine has worked wonders for my daughter. It's not a motion-sickness medication, per se, but it's an anti-nausea medication and it has been great for my daughter. I highly recommend that your wife give it a try in the car and see if it helps.

G00fyDad

Original Poster
I have one word for you: Bonine. I know everything doesn't work for everybody; but Bonine has worked wonders for my daughter. It's not a motion-sickness medication, per se, but it's an anti-nausea medication and it has been great for my daughter. I highly recommend that your wife give it a try in the car and see if it helps.

Thank you, but Zofran will not cause her to be sleepy though. I've seen Bonine and unfortunately like many other otc medications that one can knock a person out. :) It helps with all symptoms of motion sickness, but the only thing my wife has issues with is nausea and that is exactly what Zofran helps with. I'll have her start taking the Zofran a day before the trip and keep it up all three days. :D

EOD K9

@G00fyDad I tend to get motion sick on occasion, but I have never felt at all nauseated on a Disney Cruise. The ship's stabilizer's work fairly well. I was concerned on my first voyage, but since it was never an issue, its not something I concern myself with anymore. Your experiences may vary.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom