Cruise Magnets?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
I've read stuff about "Cruise Magnets"...

What are they and how do they work?

Also, what are "Navigators"? How do they work?

sweetpee_1993

Cruise magnets are big, fun magnets you make yourself (any number of methods) to decorate your stateroom door. When walking corridors especially after a few drinky-drinks they all look the same. Magnets can make it easier to find your door.

The "Navigator" is the name of the printed daily activities schedule. You'll get one for embarkation day when you check in at the port. After that you'll get the Navigator for the following day each evening. The Navigator will list restaurant operation times, pool/Aquaduck hours, activities throughout the day, all-ashore/all-aboard times, show & movie schedules, etc. everything you need to know will be right there. Bring highlighters to mark your don't miss activities! Extra copies can be obtained at or near Guest Services. We liked having several copies. I always carried one around with me and we liked leaving one in the stateroom for the kids.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Original Poster
Thanks for the clarification. I downloaded a few templates and they were huge! My position in the ship is rather...unique, so I doubt I'd miss my room unless I was so...er...seasick...that I couldn't find the Aft of the boat.

Do you make cruise magnets? I found a bunch of templates...gussying up the door isn't really my style though.

I do suspect the project might be fun for the kid and I to do before leaving, but I don't plan to tell her about the Cruise (we are flying into Orlando, and doing a night at Contemporary, then leaving for the Cruise...I want it to be a suprise)...

As with the Navigator, I did remember reading that elsewhere. Thanks for the tip about the highlighter, I will be sure to pack that in my office bag on the next trip!

sweetpee_1993

I made some magnets to give as gifts to our cruise group last trip. Basically I printed a graphic then bought magnetic photo pouches at Walmart to slide the printed stuff in. The idea was that after the cruise the families could reuse the photo pouches to put their favorite vacation pics on their refreidgerator at home. The photo pouches are very inexpensive. You could have your little one draw or color pictures then put them in the pouches to decorate. You can hot glue magnetic disks onto anything. And then you can also print directly onto magnetic photo paper (sold at office supply stores) but I have heard there is some risk to putting magnetic material thru your printer. The important thing to remember when decorating your door is to not use tape, glue, or anything that could possibly leave a mark. Disney asks that guests don't do that so they don't have to constantly refinish doors. So keep it to harmless magnetic fun and it's all good! Have fun!

ChuckElias

I don't plan to tell her about the Cruise (we are flying into Orlando, and doing a night at Contemporary, then leaving for the Cruise...I want it to be a suprise)...
If at all possible, videotape the unveiling of the surprise and get her reaction on film. Those are some of the best videos on YouTube. :)

flynnibus

Premium Member
we just took some simple magnets... I had some beach themed flipflops was the most 'cruise' oriented I can think of.

The magnet thing is more of a group/acquaintance thing. People like to leave messages for each other or other parts of their group. Or one part of the group may decorate or manipulate the door of another members. Maybe you could decorate yours to invite strangers to mess with it.. but in large people aren't going to mess with your door unless they know you. With the advent of the ship phones and how Disney handles kids.. there is less practical reasons for the messaging, but it carries over as a bit of tradition.

Decorating your door so you can find it.. just a personal thing. Some people just like to personalize their space. Pimp my cabin :)

sweetpee_1993

Lol! Pimp my cabin! That's frickin awesome!

Seriously, my mind has a weird thing with numbers. I have a really bad habit of either drawing a complete blank or jumbling numbers. The door decorations serve the purpose of keeping me from standing there hoping I'm not messing up the numbers. LOL!

Disneyfalcon

Pimp my cabin!! Lol!

We always put some kind of magnets on our door. They're fun for me. We also usually hang a dry erase magnet board outside our door so we can leave each other, and the rest of our group, messages. Just things like - "Watching Brave, lunch at 12 in Lumieres."

It makes it easy to find us. The boards aren't quite as necessary bow that the rooms have Wave Phones, but we still use them from time to time.

Phonedave

Since we are DVC we automaticly get a DVC welcome home magnet on the door anyway.

We either put it upside down, in the lower corner, or in some other "non-normal" way. That way we know our room for the first day or so. After a day or so, we know where the room is anyway.

-dave

Disneyfalcon

Since we are DVC we automaticly get a DVC welcome home magnet on the door anyway.

We either put it upside down, in the lower corner, or in some other "non-normal" way. That way we know our room for the first day or so. After a day or so, we know where the room is anyway.

-dave

We do always get those too! Occasionally they have left two to make Mickey Ears for our stateroom number. :)

sweetpee_1993

Do y'all bring back any of your magnets to reuse? We do! It's silly, I know. I suppose I should *surprise* the old man with a few cute magnets for our anniversary voyage coming up. It'd be fun to do several pics of us over the years...like watching us age right there on the door...LOL!

Ooooh...a timeline! That would be cool!!!

ChuckElias

Ooooh...a timeline! That would be cool!!!
Everybody will just complain that you switched from the old door that they liked to the new Timeline door. They'll say the new Timeline door is too complicated; they'll be mad that you switched it without asking them; they'll wonder why YOUR door has the new Timeline and their door doesn't. Then by the end of the cruise, everybody will be like "That Timeline door's not really that bad. What was the old door like, anyway?"

sweetpee_1993

Everybody will just complain that you switched from the old door that they liked to the new Timeline door. They'll say the new Timeline door is too complicated; they'll be mad that you switched it without asking them; they'll wonder why YOUR door has the new Timeline and their door doesn't. Then by the end of the cruise, everybody will be like "That Timeline door's not really that bad. What was the old door like, anyway?"

:D

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom