Crowds are Insanely Busy - Why?

Magenta Panther

So MK & the resort as a whole has been insanely, bat-crazy since Memorial Day. Statistically abnormally busy. June & July 2014 had a grand total of 8 peak* crowd days at MK. This June and July? 34. The resort as a whole? 22 for June & July whereas 2014 J&J had 7. The crowd has shifted up, what was an average crowd* last year has returned in droves and is busier than ever. Even DHS is pulling peak crowds. I checked with my Bothan Spies and this same question is being asked behind closed doors.

Anyone have any insights as to the why?

If you chose to come this summer or are planning a trip for this summer, why this summer? Why now? Marketing? Discounts? Frozen? (No Seriously.... Did Frozen clinch it?)

The numbers are statistically out of line with Summer 2013 & 2014 and for the life of me, I can't figure out why.

*A peak day is defined (by me anyways) as having a crowd level of 8+ as observed by Touring Plans. Average is 4-7. Off-peak is 1-3.

For my part, I would NEVER go to WDW in summer. The heat, the bugs, the crowds...forget it. I don't understand (aside from school summer vacation) why ANYBODY would voluntarily go to WDW in summer. Even September is too hot and humid.

Magenta Panther

Not trying to make this political, but strictly a word-of-mouth observation I've noticed from talking to many of my guests...this is very much the case for a lot of people. And we receive mostly average, middle-class families to our area (for the most part). I do a lot of one-on-one interactions with guests at my job, and there have been quite a handful of mentions, both subtly & non, about how that has been a major factor in giving folks more freedom to travel & stimulate the economy in other ways today.

Regardless of the reason, and despite traffic being a headache more times than not... business is booming, and we'll gladly take it. :D

Not wanting to get political either, but friends of mine with chronic illnesses tell me the ACA has been terrible for them - much more expensive. Just saying.

bethymouse

Seen just the opposite at Epcot. Crowds appear much thinner than years past. However, management says current crowds are level with last year. Level is the key word. No increases as seen in the other parks.
No Frozen at EPCOT, and replacement of Off Kilter as well as some other very good entertainment, and no Maelstrom. Perhaps it's a protest! LOL.;)

SYRIK2000

I thinks it's because we are in the upswings for both the economic and housing cycles. The people can afford it more now. So are taking advantage of it. As the cycles start on the downward side, I believe the numbers will normalize and then trend down.

Edit: Gas prices are down as well. Perfect storm for travel.

jloucks

Didn't TP just revise their model a few months ago? Could be an issue with the formula as much as actual clicks.

Many parents are hesitant to take their kids out of school for vacation. So whenever schools are out, that's when WDW is the busiest. Americans in general do most of their traveling in the summer, regardless of the relative weather of their destination.

Personally, I agree with you. My WDW vacation window is October - April.

I use WDW/Uni as leverage to get my kids to keep their grades up. We don't do summer trips, too hot and busy. We hooky the kids. ...so long as they have good grades.

Surprisingly the teachers have been ok with this so long as we are up front on what we are cooking up. October and May were the last two trips. Maybe November this year.

ULPO46

From reading some of the comments it makes sense for people. The gas is and has been cheaper for travel, more people can actually afford Disney world than ever before. But honestly I sometimes wonder why people are willing to spend so much each year. Come on this nation has a lot of amazing places to visit all across it. From the Grand Canyon to the Everglades. From Denali to the Smoky Mountains. The same is going for Universal Studios, tons of people are visiting Orlando. So much so that there simply aren't enough hotel rooms in this city to actually continue to allow for vacancy. It's not being a factor of fear beind closed doors. As a matter of fact everyone has $$$ on their eyes. This has been a record breaking year and hopefully shows more than what was ever expected. As for frozen, it has nothing to do with the influx simply put more people have money to spend then ever before.

SYRIK2000

From reading some of the comments it makes sense for people. The gas is and has been cheaper for travel, more people can actually afford Disney world than ever before. But honestly I sometimes wonder why people are willing to spend so much each year. Come on this nation has a lot of amazing places to visit all across it. From the Grand Canyon to the Everglades. From Denali to the Smoky Mountains. The same is going for Universal Studios, tons of people are visiting Orlando. So much so that there simply aren't enough hotel rooms in this city to actually continue to allow for vacancy. It's not being a factor of fear beind closed doors. As a matter of fact everyone has $$$ on their eyes. This has been a record breaking year and hopefully shows more than what was ever expected. As for frozen, it has nothing to do with the influx simply put more people have money to spend then ever before.

Those places don't have cupcakes.

But honestly I sometimes wonder why people are willing to spend so much each year. Come on this nation has a lot of amazing places to visit all across it. From the Grand Canyon to the Everglades. From Denali to the Smoky Mountains.

Those places don't have cupcakes.

This reminds me of my dad. We went on three yearly fall trips to WDW as kids, and then he pulled the plug on it. My sisters and I were devastated when we found out we weren't going the next year. "But there's so many other places to see!" he said. We just wanted to see Mickey and Minnie. And that's what kids- those used to WDW anyway- want to see. They don't care about seeing the Smoky Mountains, at least most of them don't. They want characters, branding, flashiness. They want their favorite rides and they want familiarity. They want to know they're going to have fun. And a lot of parents want to give them that fun. There are also tons of parents out there who are like my BF and I- they are just big kids themselves, and they want that familiarity and sense of nostalgia too. That's why we have yet to go on a non-WDW trip yet as a couple other than the beach or trips to visit friends.

Now that I'm older I am very thankful that I had parents who took us to a variety of places. We got to see San Francisco, Boston, Williamsburg and Maine among other places (and we were by no means rich or anything). I agree that there are so many places to explore and I feel very lucky to have seen so much as a youngster. But if people only have a week or two a year to do whatever they want, they are probably going to go for something tried and true rather than spend thousands on something that is untested and risk having a bad time (even though they probably wouldn't).

Just my thoughts/observations having grown up in a family that was big on non-WDW travel.

Arthur Wellesley

This reminds me of my dad. We went on three yearly fall trips to WDW as kids, and then he pulled the plug on it. My sisters and I were devastated when we found out we weren't going the next year. "But there's so many other places to see!" he said. We just wanted to see Mickey and Minnie. And that's what kids- those used to WDW anyway- want to see. They don't care about seeing the Smoky Mountains, at least most of them don't. They want characters, branding, flashiness. They want their favorite rides and they want familiarity. They want to know they're going to have fun. And a lot of parents want to give them that fun. There are also tons of parents out there who are like my BF and I- they are just big kids themselves, and they want that familiarity and sense of nostalgia too. That's why we have yet to go on a non-WDW trip yet as a couple other than the beach or trips to visit friends.

Now that I'm older I am very thankful that I had parents who took us to a variety of places. We got to see San Francisco, Boston, Williamsburg and Maine among other places (and we were by no means rich or anything). I agree that there are so many places to explore and I feel very lucky to have seen so much as a youngster. But if people only have a week or two a year to do whatever they want, they are probably going to go for something tried and true rather than spend thousands on something that is untested and risk having a bad time (even though they probably wouldn't).

Just my thoughts/observations having grown up in a family that was big on non-WDW travel.
I think many travelers have simply lost their spirit of adventure. The people who live the sheltered, Disney ONLY lifestyle...so be it, that's what they love, so more power to 'em. Just don't come to our hiking trails; our adventurous places expecting that same comfort zone. They honestly wouldn't know what to do with this sort of freedom. Speaking from experience of nearly half my lifetime living next door to one of America's most scenic & adventurous destinations, I've seen what becomes of most of the "adventure-seekers" who visit my area. Their idea of seeing wildlife is driving a local, paved, 11-mile loop road through a popular wilderness preserve & taking pictures with their iPad or smartphone from the safety of their car. Their idea of "exploring" is pulling over on a scenic overlook to snap more pics, or choose one of our well-known, heavily-foot-trafficked hiking trails that doesn't even cover a portion of a portion of our national park. And that is even if they make it into the national park. Most others simply hang around the established tourist towns at the foot of the national park, browsing outlet malls, spending $$ on amusements, food, souvenirs, more food, and...food. Then they return home & tell their friends/family how they had such an "adventurous" weekend in (insert my local national park's name here), like the real Davy Crockett's or Daniel Boone's they think they are. :rolleyes:
Sorry. But hanging around hotels, resorts, and other establishments looking for attraction coupons (or "coopin's", as many pronounce it), does NOT make you an explorer. It makes you a tourist. If being a tourist is what you want, fine. Just stay at Disney or other safe spots. Keep your strollers & crying kids where they'll be better off, and receive their coveted hug from Mickey. No shame in that if that's what you want every trip.
But if you want to live out of your comfort zone for once...then do it, and make it count! Get off the beaten path. Find the less-known areas & explore the hell outta them. It can be amazing what you find.

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Not trying to make this political, but strictly a word-of-mouth observation I've noticed from talking to many of my guests...this is very much the case for a lot of people. And we receive mostly average, middle-class families to our area (for the most part). I do a lot of one-on-one interactions with guests at my job, and there have been quite a handful of mentions, both subtly & non, about how that has been a major factor in giving folks more freedom to travel & stimulate the economy in other ways today.

Regardless of the reason, and despite traffic being a headache more times than not... business is booming, and we'll gladly take it. :D
I'm glad someone benefited from that monstrosity. It surely hasn't freed up any income for anyone I know.

Goofyernmost

I think many travelers have simply lost their spirit of adventure. The people who live the sheltered, Disney ONLY lifestyle...so be it, that's what they love, so more power to 'em. Just don't come to our hiking trails; our adventurous places expecting that same comfort zone. They honestly wouldn't know what to do with this sort of freedom. Speaking from experience of nearly half my lifetime living next door to one of America's most scenic & adventurous destinations, I've seen what becomes of most of the "adventure-seekers" who visit my area. Their idea of seeing wildlife is driving a local, paved, 11-mile loop road through a popular wilderness preserve & taking pictures with their iPad or smartphone from the safety of their car. Their idea of "exploring" is pulling over on a scenic overlook to snap more pics, or choose one of our well-known, heavily-foot-trafficked hiking trails that doesn't even cover a portion of a portion of our national park. And that is even if they make it into the national park. Most others simply hang around the established tourist towns at the foot of the national park, browsing outlet malls, spending $$ on amusements, food, souvenirs, more food, and...food. Then they return home & tell their friends/family how they had such an "adventurous" weekend in (insert my local national park's name here), like the real Davy Crockett's or Daniel Boone's they think they are. :rolleyes:
Sorry. But hanging around hotels, resorts, and other establishments looking for attraction coupons (or "coopin's", as many pronounce it), does NOT make you an explorer. It makes you a tourist. If being a tourist is what you want, fine. Just stay at Disney or other safe spots. Keep your strollers & crying kids where they'll be better off, and receive their coveted hug from Mickey. No shame in that if that's what you want every trip.
But if you want to live out of your comfort zone for once...then do it, and make it count! Get off the beaten path. Find the less-known areas & explore the hell outta them. It can be amazing what you find.
I'm not entirely sure that the only definition of exploring means having to step over bear poop while looking at endless trees. Exploring means seeing something new even if it is from highway lookouts or through the windows of their cars. These people are indeed exploring just as those elite forest walkers are. Also, I might add, those looking around through those "man made trails" are also tourists unless they actually live there. It's all in what one's preference is, not defined by one individuals idea of what constitutes proper "exploring".

Goofyernmost

I never said anything about being right or wrong; proper or improper when it comes to traveling. I said that certain things make one a tourist. Which there is no shame in that. I've been a tourist myself plenty. Many times all I want is the mapped-out, safety, & certainty of a trip such as Disney...where I know certain expectations will be delivered. Nothing wrong with that whatsoever.
But I also suggested that sometimes we all need to get out of our comfort zones to truly find ourselves. Even if it doesn't involve woods or nature at all...just get out & go somewhere that has a level of risk to it, and no certainty for anything.
Yup, I know that is what you are saying... I'm saying that it isn't necessary to get out of ones comfort zone to experience and explore new things. It's an individual thing, not a stamped method of separating the tourist from the explorer. One thing you can say about the road riders is that very seldom do the have to call out the search and rescue to find them. Technically any time one leaves their home to go anyplace for any recreational reason, they are tourists. Those trails mean that the area has already been explored to the point of creating a trail. So whether it be paved or gravel... it's still a road. :)

Arthur Wellesley

Those trails mean that the area has already been explored to the point of creating a trail. So whether it be paved or gravel... it's still a road. :)
That was never the point. The point was to sometimes find the ones less traveled to truly rediscover oneself.

If you get Travel Channel, check out the show Trip Flip hosted by Bert Kreischer. You may even be able to find episodes online. Excellent program, which illustrates exactly what I'm talking about.

While there is no "right or wrong" way, sometimes it's good medicine to lose the safety net, or any sense of certainty.

ThemeParkJunkee

I don't know that we will ever be able to discern the "whys". There are several factors...actually many that may contribute to these crowds.

1. Pent up demand by the infrequent visitor. For example, a family that goes to WDW every two or three years recovering from a "reversal of fortune" in 2008 has finally been able to save enough or justify going into debt after a number of "staycations".

2. Gas prices are averaging in a range not seen since 2009. Families within driving distance may have made their decision based on the relative cost of this year vs the last several years.

3. New stuff to see in Orlando (Diagon Alley, FLE) since their last visit a couple of years ago.

4. Increased attendance by foreign tourists due to favorable package pricing and their current ability to pay (subject to the world economy).

5. The familiarity factor. In other words, guests who previously went to Disney resorts and had a predictably good time not wanting to chance the beach, mountains, national park would appeal to the varied interests of their family.

6. Changes in school year scheduling. The old "Memorial day to Labor Day" summer holiday really doesn't exist anymore. Also, on some threads on some message boards I am seeing more of a reluctance on the part of school districts to permit "unexcused absences".

7. Renewed interest in "loosening" credit criteria. After a hiatus on issuing additional credit, with new programs such as HARP, banks are loosening the purse strings once again and falling into the same old "sign up for this credit card for a low introductory rate". HARP loans are locking people into new 30 year lower interest mortgages to save 200-300 dollars a month etc.

8. The "Bucket List" mentality. I personally know of many people who, this summer are taking "Bucket List Vacations" (although not to WDW). There is some pervasive attitude of "you only live once" or "now or never" that seems to be infecting these people. Once upon a time, delayed gratification was the pervasive attitude. Somehow, the "life is short so live it now" is where all my friends and family are at. I feel silly for meeting with one of my CFPs (Certified Financial Planner) today to discuss long term goals in my "portfolio". My friends don't have one. The attitude that "nobody is going to let me go hungry or die" seems to be infiltrating even the middle class.

9. The horrible winter(s). Many in the Northeast and Midwest have suffered through two successive winters of crazy snow and cold to the point we are wondering why we even live here. If summer is when we can go to Florida, we'll go in summer. Not to mention, 90 and humid isn't exactly unheard of "up north" in the summer. We can deal. We already deal with 140+ temperature differences in a given year.

10. Disney Marketing and "synergy". Okay, don't shoot me. This is me tipping my hat to dragging out the Frozen phenomenon and the success of "Once Upon A Time". Cross marketing, IP placement and earworms are effective or companies wouldn't use them.

I'm sure there are more. After thinking about it for an hour, this is what I came up with.

Chef Mickey

I chalk it up to a new normal. Disney is reaching more people than ever before, all over the world. The economy is improving at home and more and more people worldwide are entering the middle class. The growth of the company in just the last 5 years has been tremendous, just glance at DIS share price.

There are simply more people craving Disney not only for a traditional family trip, but new visitors from new places.

Disney has done an incredible job growing their brand, knocking it out of the park with new movies, franchises, and marketing. However, they have failed miserably to adequately match that growth in interest with growth in its flagship theme parks in Orlando.

I believe this will eventually (and perhaps already has) hurt the experience if not the bottom line business at the resort. It can't become a "beating" to visit WDW on a random weekday in September, but I'm afraid it's headed that way.

With the size in Orlando, the new concepts, and financial strength of Disney, it's a flat out shame the parks have not experienced more growth. Iger has done a nice job increasing shareholder value, but the parks have suffered. I know why he did it, but it's unfortunate and the product quality has suffered despite the record profits.

JohnByers

For my part, I would NEVER go to WDW in summer. The heat, the bugs, the crowds...forget it. I don't understand (aside from school summer vacation) why ANYBODY would voluntarily go to WDW in summer. Even September is too hot and humid.

As a HS teacher the first week of August (or anytime during the summer for that matter) is the only time my family can go due to the SY, kids camps and workshops during June and July. Trust me, I wish I could go during October or November!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom