Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I saw on the main page that the Festival of the Lion King show moved their physical distancing to 3 feet essentially doubling show capacity. A good sign for whatever other indoor theaters come back. Anyone else remember a few weeks back when there was talk of not changing the distancing right after the show reopened? Hmmm 🤔

Chi84

Premium Member
Jokes or not, Illinois has one of the better Six flags parks.
That's because it was originally Marriott's Great America, modeled after Disney to include both entertainment and rides. It was an excellent, beautifully maintained park until Marriott decided to get out of the theme park business.

Incomudro

Keeping your kids safe is a risk-based decision, and pursuing absolute safety at any cost isn’t necessarily good parenting. The safest thing would be for my kids to never leave the house, but we don’t do that obviously. Many people have chosen for their kids to not go to school and not see their friends for a year. I think that’s bad parenting. Think about the potential for long term emotional damage.
There are critical social skills that are developed (or not developed) in the early years of childhood.
We've got a bad enough situation in this country with young people who don't know how to handle delayed gratification, rejection, rules, discipline, self control etc., because they never learned them due to a childhood spent online rather than a childhood spent among their peers.
I cringe when I think of the damage done - the critical months lost to young people over a wide age range due to forced isolation.

Heppenheimer

As I tell my wife, after having kids and getting sick multiple times from them I’m convinced that the rats probably took a bad rap during the Black Death. It was most likely kids spreading the plague ;)

The one thing I will say is that kids that young are less likely to spread infection to anyone other than their parents or siblings.
I think the kids and rats were in cohoots.

correcaminos

Which business would you patronize?

A business that advertises:

"MASKS OR NO MASKS EVERONE WELCOME!"
(I actually saw a business in Holmes county Ohio have this sign last fall)

Or a business that advertises:

"ONLY THOSE VACCINATED OR THOSE WEARING A MASK ARE PERMITTED IN THIS BUSINESS"
Just curious.... Not a 'trick' question.
Well since the former went 100% Ohio mandate, not sure how much I'd want to patronize that type. To be fair, I was doing vinyl wrap on my car and the business I chose intentionally defied mandates. Found out after I gave them money unfortunately. Being contrary annoys the snot out of me.

As for safety, I'd go anywhere.

correcaminos

And in light of the way kids play: Are masks doing anything when they wear them?
I'm not talking about a static situation in school where desks are spaced apart.
I'm talking about playing.
Last I read, yes. When you exert yourself and breathe harder you are quicker to share the illness. That's even why our choirs have been distanced more than 6' and masked. Sports and play have caused spread anecdotally with people I knoe when unmasked.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Not sure if this was discussed here yesterday, but Chapek did a CNBC interview after the earnings call confirming that masks will be gone in Summer, said again that there will be a lot more comfortable people this Summer in Orlando. The parks talk starts around 2:37.

GeneralZod

You laugh but I would love for that to come to fruition.
Absolutely, but that doesn't fully alleviate the fear of this issue. Maybe once we have identified these lesser people, we could place them into summer camps and re-educate them on how to be better contributors to the greater good of society.

ImperfectPixie

Question...

If the early lifting of mask mandates has been so successful, then why is the county in Massachusetts (where mask mandates have remained) with the highest new cases per 100,000 at 14.4, but the one in Texas with the highest new cases per 100,000 at 134?

CaptainAmerica

Question...

If the early lifting of mask mandates has been so successful, then why is the county in Massachusetts (where mask mandates have remained) with the highest new cases per 100,000 at 14.4, but the one in Texas with the highest new cases per 100,000 at 134?
Because that county in Massachusetts almost certainly has the highest vaccination rate in the country.

(And, not that it matters, "county" is a meaningless distinction in New England states. We don't have county governments or county schools or county sheriffs. All a county does up here is determine which courthouse you get assigned to for legal matters.)

ImperfectPixie

Because that county in Massachusetts almost certainly has the highest vaccination rate in the country.

(And, not that it matters, "county" is a meaningless distinction in New England states. We don't have county governments or county schools or county sheriffs. All a county does up here is determine which courthouse you get assigned to for legal matters.)
Actually, it's one of the counties that had the least access to vaccines until about 3 weeks ago.

dreday3

That's because it was originally Marriott's Great America, modeled after Disney to include both entertainment and rides. It was an excellent, beautifully maintained park until Marriott decided to get out of the theme park business.

Oh my gosh, yes. We have so many picture of my family at the park in the 70s/80s when I was a kid. It was a beautiful park!
I miss it. I went in the 90s a few times, but it just really went downhill after that.

Smooth

It is a trick question because you biased the options with one as welcoming and the other as forbidding. I think a better comparison, would be:

1) Masks or no masks, everyone welcome!
2) Vaccinated guests are welcome without masks! All others, please wear a mask per CDC guidance while visiting this establishment.

I prefer the later, except CDC guidance hasn't really addressed holes. I actually prefer option 3:

Vaccinated guests and those 11 and under are welcome without masks. All others, go get your #@$#@ shot so we can get back to normal.
I promise I was not meaning this to be a 'trick' question. And yes, they are two extremes. You, obviously, put it into better 'words' than I did. But it seems that is what it is coming to and I'm just curious over a period of time, which business model works the best.

DCBaker

Premium Member
Current look at the percent positive of new cases in Orange County-

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.11.06 PM.png

Current Florida vaccine report -

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.04.16 PM.png

Screen Shot 2021-05-14 at 3.04.25 PM.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom