Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
And meanwhile, my "crazy" anti-vax cousin is blowing up her Facebook feed with lots of memes about "her rights", and the fact that "I'm pretty sure the Constitution trumps the rule that the President just put out."

Ugh.
Since this news broke yesterday I’ve also seen more references to HIPAA and some to HIPAA. The anti-mask crowd has latched on to the false narrative that HIPAA somehow prevents a company from asking about vaccination status as a way to say masks are over for everyone. Saying nobody can ask for proof due to privacy rights. It’s the most overly used false narrative going these days and that’s saying a lot.

ImperfectPixie

Since this news broke yesterday I’ve also seen more references to HIPAA and some to HIPAA. The anti-mask crowd has latched on to the false narrative that HIPAA somehow prevents a company from asking about vaccination status as a way to say masks are over for everyone. Saying nobody can ask for proof due to privacy rights. It’s the most overly used false narrative going these days and that’s saying a lot.
That drives me absolutely crazy.

Willmark

If you can still stomach high-speed roller coasters... my days where I could enjoy intense rides like that, sadly, have passed. Otherwise, unless you love the look of painted steel, I take the visual splendor of the Disney parks vs. Cedar Point's bare-bones look.
That’s why opinions will vary.

Chip Chipperson

I have zero interest in watching NASCAR on tv but I’d still love to drive that track. Really cool idea. I wonder home many people would get the shot for a chance at running the bases at Yankee stadium or shoot a free throw in MSG. This could be used all over the place.

Disney could actually get a lot of free press too. Maybe have Disney parks fans who are fully vaccinated enter a drawing and pick several winners who get a free trip and would be allowed to appear on the last float next to Mickey Mouse on the first parade that returns to the Magic Kingdom. Let people enter under the honor system and if you win you need to provide proof you are actually vaccinated or you don‘t get the prize. This way no need to collect vaccination proof from tons of people. It’s an easy process and would give them great PR too.

I believe both the Yankees and Mets are offering a free ticket to anyone who gets the J&J vaccine at their stadiums during a game. It's not as cool as running the bases on the field but turning tickets to a game into a 2-for-1 plus a vaccine isn't a bad deal.

Tony Perkis

The anti-mask crowd spreading false information? No way!

Dranth

do you not see why myself and others believe that making a 2 year old wear a mask is unnecessary
To be fair, as adorable as they are, 2-year-olds are mostly comprised of a random assortment of germs held together by skin, an insatiable curiosity and the occasional tantrum. Even without COVID, putting a mask on them wouldn't be the worst idea in terms of keeping everyone else healthy.

orky8

Which business would you patronize?

A business that advertises:

"MASKS OR NO MASKS EVERONE WELCOME!"
(I actually saw a business in Holmes county Ohio have this sign last fall)

Or a business that advertises:

"ONLY THOSE VACCINATED OR THOSE WEARING A MASK ARE PERMITTED IN THIS BUSINESS"
Just curious.... Not a 'trick' question.

It is a trick question because you biased the options with one as welcoming and the other as forbidding. I think a better comparison, would be:

1) Masks or no masks, everyone welcome!
2) Vaccinated guests are welcome without masks! All others, please wear a mask per CDC guidance while visiting this establishment.

I prefer the later, except CDC guidance hasn't really addressed holes. I actually prefer option 3:

Vaccinated guests and those 11 and under are welcome without masks. All others, go get your #@$#@ shot so we can get back to normal.

ImperfectPixie

To be fair, as adorable as they are, 2-year-olds are mostly comprised of a random assortment of germs held together by skin, an insatiable curiosity and the occasional tantrum. Even without COVID, putting a mask on them wouldn't be the worst idea in terms of keeping everyone else healthy.
My boys are long past toddler age...and they're still gross. Gross in very different ways, yes...but still gross.

Wendy Pleakley

Here is my take on it. Here in Canada the goal is 75% with their first dose and 20% fully vaccinated before restrictions are dropped. Why wouldn't that have worked? My feelings with the CDC putting out these new guidelines is it's going to make less people want a vaccine. With places dropping masks all together already there is no incentive to get vaccinated.

To add to this, current stats in Canada is that 98% of new COVID infections are occurring with people who haven't had a first shot. The single dose strategy is working, and provides a good benchmark when it comes to easing restrictions.

On top of that, studies are now showing that delaying the second dose of many of the vaccines improves their effectiveness.

These goals strike me as completely reasonable and the USA is moving towards a full re-opening just a little too soon, and hoping that people will follow the rules.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Here is my take on it. Here in Canada the goal is 75% with their first dose and 20% fully vaccinated before restrictions are dropped. Why wouldn't that have worked? My feelings with the CDC putting out these new guidelines is it's going to make less people want a vaccine. With places dropping masks all together already there is no incentive to get vaccinated.
I favored keeping vaccine targets. I don’t know if 75% is necessary but some target is a good idea. If we use Israel as a ballpark benchmark their cases dropped off sharply when they hit 55% of the total population vaccinated with at least 1 shot and have continued down to near zero cases and deaths and are now at 60% with 1 dose. My gut says a target of 55-60% probably gets it done. That would require a range of roughly 71-78% of adults alone or 65-70% of adults combined with 50-60% of kids 12-17. I think by end of June we will be around 60% of the total population with 1 shot.

On vaccinations, It’s a gamble. If we believe the polling then there is good hope this move helps. 59% of those polled said they already got the vaccine (lines up with CDC numbers), 20% said they will never get the vaccine no matter what and 21% said they would get the vaccine eventually but were in no rush. One of the leading reasons given for not being in a hurry was that nothing changed once you are vaccinated. This blows away that “excuse”. I do hope that some/many employers and schools and Summer camps and colleges with Summer classes try to actually implement a plan where they only allow fully vaccinated people to not wear a mask. That will greatly increase the vaccine rates. It’s impossible for a theme park or a concert venue or a sports stadium to do that without requiring a vaccine passport.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
As I tell my wife, after having kids and getting sick multiple times from them I’m convinced that the rats probably took a bad rap during the Black Death. It was most likely kids spreading the plague ;)

The one thing I will say is that kids that young are less likely to spread infection to anyone other than their parents or siblings.

Incomudro

Have you seen how kids play? I get why they did. Kids have no concept of social distancing. So while outdoor risk is super low, it isn't when you are continually on top of each other. That's how spread in LAX and football for us occurred.
And in light of the way kids play: Are masks doing anything when they wear them?
I'm not talking about a static situation in school where desks are spaced apart.
I'm talking about playing.

Jrb1979

I favored keeping vaccine targets. I don’t know if 75% is necessary but some target is a good idea. If we use Israel as a ballpark benchmark their cases dropped off sharply when they hit 55% of the total population vaccinated with at least 1 shot and have continued down to near zero cases and deaths and are now at 60% with 1 dose. My gut says a target of 55-60% probably gets it done. That would require a range of roughly 71-78% of adults alone or 65-70% of adults combined with 50-60% of kids 12-17. I think by end of June we will be around 60% of the total population with 1 shot.

On vaccinations, It’s a gamble. If we believe the polling then there is good hope this move helps. 59% of those polled said they already got the vaccine (lines up with CDC numbers), 20% said they will never get the vaccine no matter what and 21% said they would get the vaccine eventually but were in no rush. One of the leading reasons given for not being in a hurry was that nothing changed once you are vaccinated. This blows away that “excuse”. I do hope that some/many employers and schools and Summer camps and colleges with Summer classes try to actually implement a plan where they only allow fully vaccinated people to not wear a mask. That will greatly increase the vaccine rates. It’s impossible for a theme park or a concert venue or a sports stadium to do that without requiring a vaccine passport.
It's why the message needed to be that once we reach whatever percentage they come up then restrictions can be dropped. Instead they are hoping people will still get vaccinated by saying if you're vaccinated you can stop wearing masks. IMO it's the wrong way to go. I'm hoping with California requiring theme parks to show proof of vaccination that it's a step for more places to follow. My faith in people doing the honorable thing has left a long time ago. I think you definitely see a big drop off of vaccination rates now.

ImperfectPixie

As I tell my wife, after having kids and getting sick multiple times from them I’m convinced that the rats probably took a bad rap during the Black Death. It was most likely kids spreading the plague ;)

The one thing I will say is that kids that young are less likely to spread infection to anyone other than their parents or siblings.
When my youngest was a baby, he was obsessed with touching me in some embarrassing and gross ways. I'd be holding him on my hip while we were out in public, and BAM!, out of the blue, his hand would be in my mouth. Or down my shirt. Or poking me in the eye. Or a finger up the nose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom