Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

mmascari

It could be closed long enough to affect the children emotionally, or to impact their life in meaningful ways. It was always hard for me to buy in when people said “it’s just temporary restrictions,” because those same people would have been perfectly fine with those restrictions being permanent if it meant their own health anxiety would be better contained. Thankfully some brilliant scientists saved us from that outcome, but in the absence of vaccines, some people would have been hiding their kids from the world in perpetuity. In five years from now, we’d still have been hearing “hang in there. It’s temporary.”
This entire thread can be boiled down to three opinions (from that example):
  1. There was never that much sewage, the beach should be open, just live with it.
  2. It's been too long. So what if there's still lots of sewage, its way better that it was last month at least.
  3. Let's clean the sewage up, so it's not a problem anymore.

GeneralZod

Yes that's what was said. But if you think people will do the right thing and wear masks I have a bridge to sell you. My only hope is that more places implement proof of vaccination. I have my doubts as it feels like many in the US have settled for good enough.
Maybe they should just offer barcode tattoos for anyone that "get's the jab". It would be incredible simply to scan people as they enter events at that point and turn away those without.

GaBoy

Yes that's what was said. But if you think people will do the right thing and wear masks I have a bridge to sell you. My only hope is that more places implement proof of vaccination. I have my doubts as it feels like many in the US have settled for good enough.
Oh heck no. I live in Georgia. This order just makes official what people down here have been doing since last June.

Jenny72

Why are so many people insistent that there's a group that wants to keep masks/restrictions "forever"? I am so genuinely perplexed by this. And yet it gets trotted out again and again. There must be a TV pundit pushing this idea to stoke resentment. I guess it's just a way to mock and undermine other people, but it prevents any good faith discussion.

The thing I'm waiting for is less community spread. Nothing has changed where I am -- we still have tons of cases every day. So for my unvaccinated kids or a family member who can't vaccinate, the situation is really exactly where it was before, except now more people will be unmasked. Once we get the numbers down to single digits or similar, we can relax.

It's also clearly disingenuous to say that some parents are afraid of their kids having sniffles. I think some would rather wait a bit so we can avoid any long-haul symptoms down the road (which some children do experience). I mean, this is the kind of thing that makes it impossible to have good faith conversations about policy. I wish people could just try to question their assumptions, and try to see where others are coming from, even briefly. What a difference that would make.

Smooth

Which business would you patronize?

A business that advertises:

"MASKS OR NO MASKS EVERONE WELCOME!"
(I actually saw a business in Holmes county Ohio have this sign last fall)

Or a business that advertises:

"ONLY THOSE VACCINATED OR THOSE WEARING A MASK ARE PERMITTED IN THIS BUSINESS"
Just curious.... Not a 'trick' question.

DisneyDebRob

Which business would you patronize?

A business that advertises:

"MASKS OR NO MASKS EVERONE WELCOME!"
(I actually saw a business in Holmes county Ohio have this sign last fall)

Or a business that advertises:

"ONLY THOSE VACCINATED OR THOSE WEARING A MASK ARE PERMITTED IN THIS BUSINESS"
Just curious.... Not a 'trick' question.
Am I going in by myself or with family and kids?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
My daughter is still wearing a mask at school since it’s the rule, and I’m not fighting it. It is what it is. I’m just saying, for most kids COVID is either asymptomatic or similar to having a cold or mild flu. I go by that data when making tisk assessments. I’ll get my kids vaccinated when they’re eligible, and they get the flu vaccine every year too. But if we’re comparing - they’ve never worn masks to avoid the flu.
There’s no need to wear masks for the flu because it’s not a novel virus (we’ve all been naturally exposed to it) and there is a vaccine. Once kids are eligible for the Covid vaccine there will be no need for them to wear masks anymore for covid either.

Jrb1979

Why are so many people insistent that there's a group that wants to keep masks/restrictions "forever"? I am so genuinely perplexed by this. And yet it gets trotted out again and again. There must be a TV pundit pushing this idea to stoke resentment. I guess it's just a way to mock and undermine other people, but it prevents any good faith discussion.

The thing I'm waiting for is less community spread. Nothing has changed where I am -- we still have tons of cases every day. So for my unvaccinated kids or a family member who can't vaccinate, the situation is really exactly where it was before, except now more people will be unmasked. Once we get the numbers down to single digits or similar, we can relax.

It's also clearly disingenuous to say that some parents are afraid of their kids having sniffles. I think some would rather wait a bit so we can avoid any long-haul symptoms down the road (which some children do experience). I mean, this is the kind of thing that makes it impossible to have good faith conversations about policy. I wish people could just try to question their assumptions, and try to see where others are coming from, even briefly. What a difference that would make.
I understand that we all have Covid fatigue but to see so many accept good enough cause they want this to end is baffling. Now the CDC guidelines are recommending the honor system feels like they have thrown in the towel.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
It's getting more and more difficult to justify continuing the masks. I think the administration announced no masks for the vaccinated in order to incentivize people to get vaccinated. Once that push is done, my prediction is that all mask mandates, both indoor and outdoor, will be quickly eliminated.
Agreed. That has always been the plan. A return to normal means no masks for anyone because the spread is very low. This step right now is to reward the vaccinated, give incentive to the unvaccinated to get done and to get us over the finish line. In a matter of a month or less we should start hitting vaccine thresholds moat places. It’s happening. This is a great first step, but people do need to realize it’s not the end. Not yet. We still need 20-30M more adults to get vaccinated.

ImperfectPixie

You nailed it with the bolded. It's also why we're still seeing masks called "placebo".

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I understand that we all have Covid fatigue but to see so many accept good enough cause they want this to end is baffling. Now the CDC guidelines are recommending the honor system feels like they have thrown in the towel.
Depends on your definition of good enough....and the CDC isn't recommending the honor system. They only say that vaccinated people do not need masks in most situations. How that is implemented by states and businesses is another matter. And it has always been that way...

Lilofan

Agreed. That has always been the plan. A return to normal means no masks for anyone because the spread is very low. This step right now is to reward the vaccinated, give incentive to the unvaccinated to get done and to get us over the finish line. In a matter of a month or less we should start hitting vaccine thresholds moat places. It’s happening. This is a great first step, but people do need to realize it’s not the end. Not yet. We still need 20-30M more adults to get vaccinated.
States need to break out more incentives for more to get vaccinated.

Wendy Pleakley

Bingo.

Everyone wants to see a return to normal.

Some of us are just concerned that the new guidelines are premature and won't be adhered to. Every day there are stories of people getting into arguments because they don't want to wear a mask, skirting rules with mesh masks or other nonsense, fake medical exemption cards, etc. Maybe this is just a vocal minority but we're concerned that people who don't want to wear a mask anymore won't, even if not vaccinated.

Hence the arguments that an actual goal, like 70% vaccinated for example, is a better benchmark for ditching masks than the honour system.

It's interesting that people who have been arguing constantly that people like Dr. Fauci are wrong, that the science has been wrong or inconsistent, are tripping over themselves to take new CDC guidelines as the gospel truth.

mmascari

Maybe they should just offer barcode tattoos for anyone that "get's the jab". It would be incredible simply to scan people as they enter events at that point and turn away those without.
Perhaps an invisible ink.

Maybe suggested by a technology philanthropist with a foundation.

Add in a digital record you could use for some validation.

And, now we have the story why there's microchips in the vaccine. 🤦‍♂️

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom