Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

legwand77

There have been multiple articles posted in this very thread about masks. (Granted, It's a very long thread.) Regardless, I found some by searching the Internet. It didn't take long. I'll save you some time and just quote myself.

Just to clarify those are preprints, some of the detailed posts on this board are better thought out than one preprint you listed,, it is just making interpretations and guesses based on charts and data. Not saying right or wrong but they are not peer reviewed studies etc.

Last edited:

rowrbazzle

Just to clarify those are preprints

The first two have been accepted for publication already. It's common practice for articles to appear online before they're slotted into a journal volume. Only the third states it's not a peer-reviewed version (the version history indicates a progression through the process however).

This stuff takes time. But feel free to sign up as a reviewer to help expedite the process. I'm sure the journals could use the help.

DisneyCane

What story are you talking about? Not the same one I was referencing.

7 employees tested positive. That’s a fact and they tested positive a few days ago so none of them is 100% completely fine yet. Customers also tested positive. The bar closed for a deep cleaning. Thats how contact tracing works. An outbreak is identified and people who may have been exposed get tested. It’s really not in dispute whether there were cases relating to the place. The owner said when they reopen they will implement more procedures including masks for workers and more hand sanitizer and distancing of patrons.
Regardless of the accuracy of the underlying story, that article is terribly written and researched. The facebook page that it links to doesn't say anything about this. They didn't ask her when she tested positive or if/when she developed symptoms. These are the type of answers that could give insight.

They didn't even ask the owner if the 7 that were positive had symptoms or not. 20 years ago, no editor would let an article like that be published. They didn't ask ages and sexes which could be used to verify the story in the detailed PDF report.

A lot could be learned from an outbreak like this (assuming it is accurate) but the reporter did a terrible job.

TrainsOfDisney

According to the list of things opening, Lion King and other indoor shows are not opening.

Those aren’t live shows, but attractions.

You said indoors shows and then changed it to live shows.

Many indoor shows are opening. There will also be some live entertainment like the Main Street Philharmonic and Jammitors.

What there will not be is equity performers.

Heppenheimer

You're from Philadelphia? Come down to Ocean City tonight and see for yourself. It's not "the young ones" who are ignoring the guidelines. It's EVERYONE.
Sad to hear. Ocean City is one of those places you go to because people usually obey the rules and don't act like idiots. Hence, usually very safe and pleasent.

MrHappy

Any thought to Disney HVAC systems regarding air circulation indoors. I’m not an expert, but I usually feel blasts of AC when indoors anywhere at WDW. I know there have been studies of indoor spreading being high due to lack of proper ventilation and air flow because the virus would basically be suspended in the air. But, perhaps with Disney’s powerful (I’m assuming) air systems, some or most of indoor queues, restaurants, shops, would be pretty ok relative to the rest of the country’s indoor areas. I’m I totally off base with this?
Edit: even still maintaining social distance practices, of course.

Last edited:

MotherOfBirds

The cast members will be very happy to go back to work. Osceola ( 31.2% ) and Orange ( 23.2% ) counties has some of the highest unemployment rates in Florida.

The CM's I know are afraid. They're risking their lives for low wages, lest they completely lose their jobs, at a place known for entitled guests throwing fits for minor inconveniences. And now they have to try to balance that with enforcing masks and social distancing.

Lilofan

The CM's I know are afraid. They're risking their lives for low wages, lest they completely lose their jobs, at a place known for entitled guests throwing fits for minor inconveniences. And now they have to try to balance that with enforcing masks and social distancing.
If that is the case, if they don't report as scheduled they could get terminated for failure to show up for work.

John park hopper

It should not be up to the CM's to enforce the mask and distance rules. Disney should employee people specifically to roam the parks and make sure the rules are enforced. Employee some unemployed bar bouncers they would get people's attention real quick

DisneyOutsider

It should not be up to the CM's to enforce the mask and distance rules. Disney should employee people specifically to roam the parks and make sure the rules are enforced. Employee some unemployed bar bouncers they would get people's attention real quick
I'm assuming that there is a new team in the parks doing just that. They made mention of it in one of their recent communications, but they framed it as CM's who have the information you need for a safe day at WDW. I think it was code for mask-enforcers.

Polkadotdress

Just to clarify those are preprints, some of the detailed posts on this board are better thought out than one preprint you listed,, it is just making interpretations and guesses based on charts and data. Not saying right or wrong but they are not peer reviewed studies etc.

From CNN:
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention has been conducting a scientific review about the public health benefits of masks, and will soon make an updated recommendation, a senior CDC official told CNN.

The reviews are happening even though the CDC has already published guidance on its website.

A senior official with knowledge of the review said science is being studied as to whether masks are not only “good for source control — and keeping you from giving it to others — but we’re also seeing if masks are going to protect you from getting [Covid-19] yourself.”

“We know it’s a good thing to wear a mask to protect others. We are studying if it is also potentially going to keep you safe,” the official added.
The CDC website has two separate pages of guidance on face coverings. One recommends people wear masks when they leave their home. The other recommends people wear a mask if they cannot properly social distance.

An official at the agency says recommendations from a final scientific review by its incident management “will happen soon.”

peter11435

If Disney employees people to enforce social distancing, those people would be cast members.

And they likely will just as they have been doing at Disney Springs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom