Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

JohnD

more than 100 Americans lose their life in automobile crashes every day, yet I see people racing down the road in a 5K lb. death machine while staring at their phone screen and typing up a post in online forums about how deadly the COVID19 is. SMH. The irony is not lost on me.

Give immunocompromised folk and elderly some space, keep yourself clean, and maybe save the worry for what you are more likely die from.

With all that being said, any guesses as to when we'll begin to see reduced attendance in the parks? Fear is a mighty powerful emotion, and so is the constant onslaught of media coverage and social media spitballing.

With the demand in many corners on this forum that the parks close NOW, it’s probably already happening.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
more than 100 Americans lose their life in automobile crashes every day, yet I see people racing down the road in a 5K lb. death machine while staring at their phone screen and typing up a post in online forums about how dangerous the COVID19 is. SMH. The irony is not lost on me.
I don't drive.

Give immunocompromised folk and elderly some space, keep yourself clean, and maybe save the worry for what you are more likely die from.
You're late to this thread, aren't you?

With all that being said, any guesses as to when we'll begin to see reduced attendance in the parks?

Stay tuned to the exclusive thread @wdwmagic set up here: https://forums.wdwmagic.com/threads/coronavirus-covid-19-walt-disney-world-operating-status.963821/

Fear is a mighty powerful emotion, and so is the constant onslaught of media coverage and social media spitballing.
Agreed. But don't venture into a Coronavirus topic unless you're prepared to shake your fists at humanity. Actually, any topic...

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Maybe, but I don't think they will close unless a mandatory ban is put in place on large gatherings.
I agree with this. I think DLR will close first. CA is pretty close to a mandatory ban on public gatherings. The only question is will they close both DLR and WDW or wait on the Florida park until required.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
That describes the entire internet, especially the cesspool known as twitter

so far the crowds, seem normal today

That's why I said "Actually, any topic...". But I figure that since folks keep playing the whataboutism card of death roulette, anything on social media can kill your faith in humanity.

trainplane3

There are a couple of threads on the forums discussing the Coronavirus, and its possible impacts on Walt Disney World and beyond, but this thread is specifically for information and facts on actual operating conditions at Walt Disney World. Please refrain from general discussion in this thread, for that, use Coronavirus and WDW.

Please remember the thread guideline for posting. Thank you.
Can we get this thread cleaned out? Including this (my) post.

VaderTron

What's your employers attendance policy though? It's going to take employers being willing to not apply their policies like they have in the past. And more flexibility to be able to happen. It isn't as easy for some to say I'll stay home just in case, it can result in their whole ability to support their family being taken away. And with 3 sick parents to look after as well as my kid, I CAN'T lose my job. Off a week or 2 financially it would be okay, but with current attendance policies I'd be fired for that long. It's just put people in a lose/lose situation until employers are working with their employees through all this.

The problems you bring up, much like containing this virus, are being addressed WAY too late. Society can't limp along from month to month like that. Entire extended households should not be mostly or entirely supported by the toothpick of one family member's income. It's not healthy or reasonable. For a large number of people to be in a mindset where they feel they can afford to visit Disney World but can't go a month without work without becoming homeless is mind boggling to me (Disney trips seem to cost at least a month's wages if not more, depending on the family and itinerary). Most will just say something simple like, "Everyone does it. It's life." That's the kool-aid that's handed out and the masses are drinking it. Where will those nice loan officers be who "bent over backwards" to get you into that dream home when you can't pay them next month? Probably visiting the local knee-capping squad to book an "event". Where is the boss who's behind you pulled out of the fire on more than one occasion with your excellent and perhaps time-restricted execution of an assignment? Likely posting a job opening (your job) on Indeed because you missed ONE more day than you had of available sick time.

How are people ok with this life?

Why do they drink the kool-aid, that this is "normal"?

I am not a kool-aid fan.

My employer (me) says, "You're sick? Don't know if it's a cold of COVID? No worries. Take the time off to be safe. Your customers will appreciate your caution and concern for their well-being, further deepening the trusted relationship we have developed over the years ensuring continued business in the future."

My accountant (also me) says, "While it's never enjoyable to have a month in the red, you have no outstanding debts because you live within your means. You have no car payment, and only are on the hook for normal monthly expenses. You can use some money in your emergency account if needed. You know...the money that everyone told you was being wasted in a 1.75% interest money market account instead of the much more profitable stock market that now is sitting at a lower rate of growth than what you have made in interest during the same period (but I digress). Also, relax. You may have some bumps in the road the next few months with less work due to slower than normal customer spending. But you can wade through because you are not a month away from bankruptcy."

Honestly, I feel bad for the masses that have been tricked, swindled, or coerced into believing they will be fine living paycheck to paycheck, or that they have no choice. I would want to help them when the whole house of cards comes tumbling down, but unfortunately I am not the one sitting on the piles of money that are greedily taken from the kool-aid drinkers. Our household made less than $50,000 last year, but we still have financial stability. It would take an economic meltdown to ruin us, and at that point everyone else would be in the same boat or worse.

The point is, you don't have to be rich to have what you need. You just have to be prudent, disciplined, and focused. Words like that have been replaced by me-first, I want, and follow your heart. We can only sleep in the beds that we made...or let others make for us. 😔

Last edited:

Ag11gani

Regarding the Schengen travel ban, I believe the wording applies to citizens of those countries, so the UK doesn't have to ban travel from the EU in order to make the ban work. Anyone presenting a passport at an UK airport from a Schengen country would not be able to board a flight to the US.

That's also why Ireland can be included in the permitted travel zone as an EU member because the determination is passport/residency, not geographic location.

No, citizenship is irrelevant (unless you are an US citizen) the only thing that matters is if you have been within the Schengen Area within the last 14 days. A Thai citizen who has been in the Schengen Area cannot go to the US, whereas a French citizen who hasn’t been in the Schengen Area can go to the US.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster
That's because they are shutting down all the schools nationwide, and then the dimwits are like hey let's take my kids to WDW cause it's the only thing still open.

Unless the parks close, guests will keep going. I think a lot of perspective on this depends on where folks are located (to SOME degree). If I was living out in the burbs, I'd probably be thinking, whatevs. I said SOME degree because people in cities are allegedly still feeling the same way, though none of the folks in my personal or professional circle. And this also includes people like my barber, the guy at the coffee cart I see every day, security guys at my office building, two of my neighbors and their families, etc. I have yet to come across someone in the city who isn't raising an eyebrow right now. Again, if I lived somewhere else, maybe I'd go.

MrHappy

Thought you guys would find this interesting. In the midst of school closures and events closures, etc. There's one of those trampoline adventure parks a few towns over (I'm in CT) that just sent an email basically saying, 'no worries, we always have strict cleaning polices, so come on in.' I wonder if that's Disney's stance as well. Basically, 'until Corona beats us, we are going to win this.' 🤔

EDIT: and in the midst of my minor freak out (a 180 from a few days ago) the trampoline parks's email feels oddly comforting.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
You people need to think rationally. The battle for logic has already been lost with the panicers. At this point the quickest way to restore normalcy is a total lockdown like Italy (no leaving home except for work or groceries). The alternative is 6 more months of this crap with everything being cancelled or uncertain.
The best approach would be to follow S Korea’s lead and ramp up testing. Test everyone. Test often. As soon as you are positive, isolate and track contact. That works better than trying to quarantine everyone. It’s getting to the point where it’s almost too late and the Italy approach may be the only option.

Voxel

President of Progress City
The best approach would be to follow S Korea’s lead and ramp up testing. Test everyone. Test often. As soon as you are positive, isolate and track contact. That works better than trying to quarantine everyone. It’s getting to the point where it’s almost too late and the Italy approach may be the only option.
S. Korea has done a remarkable job of controlling the outbreak without the use of Quarantine. It's an example that should be followed.

Parker in NYC

Original Poster

I have to agree. @Pooh.sHoneyHuntTDL, we just couldn't do what you propose in this country. It'd be pandemonium.

ImperfectPixie

The problems you bring up, much like containing this virus, are being addressed WAY to late. Society can't limp along from month to month like that. Entire extended households should not be mostly or entirely supported by the toothpick of one family member's income. It's not healthy or reasonable. For a large number of people to be in a mindset where they feel they can afford to visit Disney World but can't go a month without work without becoming homeless is mind boggling to me (Disney trips seem to cost at least a month's wages if not more, depending on the family and itinerary). Most will just say something simple like, "Everyone does it. It's life." That's the kool-aid that's handed out and the masses are drinking it. Where will those nice loan officers be who "bent over backwards" to get you into that dream home when you can't pay them next month? Probably visiting the local knee-capping squad to book an "event". Where is the boss who's behind you pulled out of the fire on more than one occasion with your excellent and perhaps time-restricted execution of an assignment? Likely posting a job opening (your job) on Indeed because you missed ONE more day than you had of available sick time.

How are people ok with this life?

Why do they drink the kool-aid, that this is "normal"?

I am not a kool-aid fan.

My employer (me) says, "You're sick? Don't know if it's a cold of COVID? No worries. Take the time off to be safe. Your customers will appreciate your caution and concern for their well-being, further deepening the trusted relationship we have developed over the years ensuring continued business in the future."

My accountant (also me) says, "While it's never enjoyable to have a month in the red, you have no outstanding debts because you live within your means. You have no car payment, and only are on the hook for normal monthly expenses. You can use some money in your emergency account if needed. You know...the money that everyone told you was being wasted in a 1.75% interest money market account instead of the much more profitable stock market that now is sitting at a lower rate of growth than what you have made in interest during the same period (but I digress). Also, relax. You may have some bumps in the road the next few months with less work due to slower than normal customer spending. But you can wade through because you are not a month away from bankruptcy."

Honestly, I feel bad for the masses that have been tricked, swindled, or coerced into believing they will be fine living paycheck to paycheck, or that they have no choice. I would want to help them when the whole house of cards comes tumbling down, but unfortunately I am not the one sitting on the piles of money that are greedily taken from the kool-aid drinkers. Our household made less than $50,000 last year, but we still have financial stability. It would take an economic meltdown to ruin us, and at that point everyone else would be in the same boat or worse.

The point is, you don't have to be rich to have what you need. You just have to be prudent, disciplined, and focused. Words like that have been replaced by me-first, I want, and follow your heart. We can only sleep in the beds that we made...or let others make for us. 😔
Tell all that to the politicians and corporations that run the country.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom