Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rogue21

If they follow this advice, all their will be time for is handwashing. Quite the conundrum.

I do feel the anxiety though, it's hard to know what the right thing to do is. I have a trip scheduled to a local waterpark for this Friday. Do I bring the family? Or do we cancel??? Not asking for advice, just rambling.

I've been waffling on a trip for mid-April. Go? Don't go? And not just about me, what about when I get home? Would I need to quarantine for 5 or so days to see if I am ok? Stay away from any elderly family? So many questions!! 😷

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
I want to go in mid Dec where they have had free dining the last several years anyways.
That's way beyond the immediate planning window that Disney is focused on. Historically more specific discounts for that period appear mid to late summer. (August)

Expect Summer and early fall discounts to drop mid April.

LSLS

Since this is new, we dont know if it has a net effect on the virus, but historically speaking it helps, so why not right?

I just oddly enough trust Dr John Campbell more then the talking heads on tv, like the WHO who says a pandemic is only pandemic if they cannot control the virus....

Oh no, not advocating not to take it if you are deficient at all. Like I said, the info I have seen is that it will be good for you whether it helps for this or not. Just pointing out don't expect this to be your cure (or even to help you) at this point.

And I mean, trust who you want. Honestly if the guy is using published data as he claims, he is probably a good resource. And if he is, he's not contradicting what the experts in the field are saying, he is making it easier for people who have tough times wading through peer reviewed journals to understand, which is a very good thing.

ghidorah97

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but curious what the crowd levels have been like the past few days. Have fears led to a decline in attendance/increase in trip cancellations? Anyone been to the parks within the past few days have some insight to share?

Jrn14

Looking at the app it looks pretty freaking busy....not as busy as the week or so surrounding presidents day but not slow by any means. I wonder if it would even busier sans coronavirus. Quick question are the wait times on the app fairly reliable?

ABQ

Looking at the app it looks pretty freaking busy....not as busy as the week or so surrounding presidents day but not slow by any means. I wonder if it would even busier sans coronavirus. Quick question are the wait times on the app fairly reliable?
Reliable in that they typically match what the signage at a given attraction shows, but as for the accuracy of the signage, results are certainly mixed.

Leia'sMom

Sorry if this has been mentioned earlier in the thread, but curious what the crowd levels have been like the past few days. Have fears led to a decline in attendance/increase in trip cancellations? Anyone been to the parks within the past few days have some insight to share?

Hard to tell if the fear is making the crowds lower, because the crowds are higher than normal. Some of that may be that the extra hours are now paid admission (when I was at spring break 2 years ago, parks were just open way later). Now, the paid extra magic hour at MK last night was a complete walk on. Saturday was fine, but yesterday at MK was packed. Watching fireworks was probably the virus' best dream. However, we've heard less coughing than ever before. Wonder if the regular flu and cold is just getting prevented.

Ojo4

All the CNBC pundits have slowly been shifting towards saying there is a 100% chance of domestic parks closing, I give it about 2-3 weeks before they're closed. Wall Street seems to agree with the assessment with DIS really going off a cliff this month compared to the market

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
All the CNBC pundits have slowly been shifting towards saying there is a 100% chance of domestic parks closing, I give it about 2-3 weeks before they're closed. Wall Street seems to agree with the assessment with DIS really going off a cliff this month compared to the market

I could see this happening if the state of emergency in the respective states mandated the shut down of all the parks/ public gathering places, but I don't know that they'll voluntarily shut down their biggest money making parks due to a few confirmed cases.

Ohio is all wonky right now. They shut down spectatorship and the expo for Arnold, but then allowed OSU sportsball events with 17k people to happen. Need to commit one way or the other.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
United has become the first of the Big 3 US Carriers to issue fee change waivers for any ticket regardless of when it was purchased. Previously any changes could only be made with Tickets purchased from late February on.

These do not get you a refund, but allows you to defer travel for 1 year. It is also probable that this spurs other airlines to match United, this could spur a bunch of changes/cancelations at least in the short term for domestic parks since airfare is a major component of trip budgets.

Last edited:

Mander

In the Parks
No
No idea if this is due to all of this but I was pricing out 3/29-4/4 of this year to use as an estimate for that same week next year (taking a group of 9-10 people) and every single All Star has rooms available the entire time. The last time I looked I couldn't get any of them for the entire week.

We also have a trip planned for the first week of May, definitely in wait and see mode at this point.

iowamomof4

United has become the first of the Big 3 US Carriers to issue fee change waivers for any ticket regardless of when it was purchased. Previously any changes could only be made with Tickets purchased from late February on.

These do not get you a refund, but allows you to defer travel for 1 year. It is also probable that this spurs other airlines to match United, this could spur a bunch of changes/cancelations at least in the short term for domestic parks since airfare is a major component of trip budgets.

Alaska Airlines has similarly lifted their previous date stipulations and now allow fee-free changes to any ticket for flights through March 31:

VaderTron

I agree with what you are saying. However, if other countries implement mass testing, the same benefits will be seen. From the information from the WHO (not my opinion, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus' opinion), asymptomatic spread is a very small issue. Mild cases are an issue as people with mild cases will still cough and sneeze. That is why, in my opinion, the best course of action is to test as many people as possible with cold/flu symptoms so that people that test positive can be isolated instead of taking extreme, societal and economic disruptive actions.

I realize that in the US this is currently not possible due to the number of tests available. Perhaps they can focus on the hot spots first while more are manufactured.

South Korea's mortality rate helps to predict the overall mortality rate of those infected. Obviously, it will still be higher for those that become seriously ill.

The incomplete evidence is the data that is from "not South Korea."

You are Cherry picking. What you are doing is like taking a Presidential poll and sampling only people that identify in one party.

I'll try to stop. The problem is that there are scared people that read flutas' doomsday posts that may become more terrified. It is clear that flutas does not have any experience in scientific study or statistical analysis and is making declarations that are not valid.
This is a rumor forum for a theme park. If this is where people turn for their news and information, God help them. If they are foolish enough to put faith in what is written here, unvetted and no source checking ON THEIR OWN (not demanding that sources be provided on a silver platter) then I suppose they deserve the panicked feeling that results.

ImperfectPixie

This is a rumor forum for a theme park. If this is where people turn for their news and information, God help them. If they are foolish enough to put faith in what is written here, unvetted and no source checking ON THEIR OWN (not demanding that sources be provided on a silver platter) then I suppose they deserve the panicked feeling that results.
That's part of the problem - people are believing whatever clickbait site they happen to frequent instead of making sure the information is reliable. Facebook is a large contributor to the spread of faulty information/fake news.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member
No idea if this is due to all of this but I was pricing out 3/29-4/4 of this year to use as an estimate for that same week next year (taking a group of 9-10 people) and every single All Star has rooms available the entire time. The last time I looked I couldn't get any of them for the entire week.

We also have a trip planned for the first week of May, definitely in wait and see mode at this point.
My gut tells me that this isn't because of cancelations, but more a response to perceived slowing in bookings. I've noticed a steep uptick in digital ads and promotional emails. When @wannabeBelle helped booked my May trip, we did notice that the number and type of available discounted rooms was limited. Recently it seems as though that number has expanded considerably.

TP2000

Here in SoCal, the massive Coachella outdoor music festival was just postponed until October. And now TV shows like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy just announced this morning they will no longer allow a live audience to attend their tapings. But Disneyland is still open, which makes no sense.

ImperfectPixie

Here in SoCal, the massive Coachella outdoor music festival was just postponed until October. And now TV shows like Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy just announced this morning they will no longer allow a live audience to attend their tapings. But Disneyland is still open, which makes no sense.
WOW...how long have those shows been on the air with audiences? That's just crazy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom