Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

DisneyGigi

On the Cruises- my hubby’s work has imposed a mandatory 14 days off, if anyone in your family leaves the country. This includes a cruise. He has 6 weeks paid vacation that can be used in any way, but most people at his work only have 3. After that, no pay. You can take the time off, but no pay. I cannot imagine why anyone would go right now, if that is the case. A mandatory blowing two weeks of vacation for a cruise (And yes, I know we are lucky to have that much to start with) We do not have a cruise booked but do know people - that a wife is going on a cruise- Husband will be at home for two weeks, with pay, but loses that time off. No way, I would go and lose that time. Who knows what else may come. Good that Disney is letting people postpone- because workplaces, even domestically, are imposing restrictions to travel.

Lilofan

I've been doing my weekly food shopping, talking with fellow shoppers. I'm a clean freak in general, corona or no corona but one thing I see in common with fellow shoppers from conversations. They are cleaning their homes, work locations and inside of their cars like they are on a mission.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
I've been doing my weekly food shopping, talking with fellow shoppers. I'm a clean freak in general, corona or no corona but one thing I see in common with fellow shoppers from conversations. They are cleaning their homes, work locations and inside of their cars like they are on a mission.
good mission to have. What’s sad is that people don’t regularly wash their hands or houses or work spaces in general. It’s gross but I can’t tell
You how many people at work go to the bathroom and walk right out.

Brer Oswald

good mission to have. What’s sad is that people don’t regularly wash their hands or houses or work spaces in general. It’s gross but I can’t tell
Yep. This is all stuff that should be regular. I never touch door handles. If I touch anything that is likely to have hands on it, I go to a sink immediately.

Brer Oswald

i hadnt thought about this...

The World Health Organization has issued a warning that handling money may spread coronavirus and is urging people to stop using cash when they can.
First thing you should do after handling Cash is wash your hands. Again, nothing new. Maybe I should be greatful for having a father who taught me well when I was younger.

Lilofan

Anyone taking a Disney cruise prior to boarding the ship will have their temperature taken. Can one imagine if each guest prior entering a theme park needs to get their temperature taken? 80K students on unexpected 2 week vacation in WA state. Thanks Corona!

Last edited:

Brer Oswald

Anyone taking a Disney cruise prior to boarding the ship will have their temperature taken. Can one imagine if each guest prior entering a theme park needs to get their temperature taken?
It won’t ever happen. A Cruise Ship=/=Theme Park. Both seem like great places to spread, but a Crusie Ship is a giant metal container with little escape. You can run out of a theme park. You’re stuck on a Ship.

Horizons '83

In the Parks
No
i hadnt thought about this...

The World Health Organization has issued a warning that handling money may spread coronavirus and is urging people to stop using cash when they can.
I work for the Federal Reserve, I can tell you conversations are happening daily on this topic with our cash handlers. China’s central bank has a new wash all bills policy, I wouldn’t be surprised to see this put in place here soon. That said, using cash is just fine, again just wash your hands after handling bills.

DisneyCane

The same reason cash gets dirty will also affect credit card scanners. Wash your hands.

Same with touch screen self checkout kiosks. Most of the time you have to press a button on the credit card reader to confirm the amount.

I've been addicted to hand sanitizer for many years. Friends (and sometimes my wife) told me it made me look crazy. Well, who's crazy now?
It won’t ever happen. A Cruise Ship=/=Theme Park. Both seem like great places to spread, but a Crusie Ship is a giant metal container with little escape. You can run out of a theme park. You’re stuck on a Ship.

Cruise ships are breeding grounds for outbreaks. Every time there is norovirus on a cruise ship at least 25% of the passengers seem to get it. When was the last time you heard of a norovirus outbreak at a theme park?

I have never understood that and have always been very grossed out by it. Especially people that have exited a stall. Forget about whether you just were there for a #1 or a #2 but you are touching the latch and door that countless others have touched after using the bathroom. And people wonder how I became a germaphobe!

Lilofan

Same with touch screen self checkout kiosks. Most of the time you have to press a button on the credit card reader to confirm the amount.

I've been addicted to hand sanitizer for many years. Friends (and sometimes my wife) told me it made me look crazy. Well, who's crazy now?

Cruise ships are breeding grounds for outbreaks. Every time there is norovirus on a cruise ship at least 25% of the passengers seem to get it. When was the last time you heard of a norovirus outbreak at a theme park?

I have never understood that and have always been very grossed out by it. Especially people that have exited a stall. Forget about whether you just were there for a #1 or a #2 but you are touching the latch and door that countless others have touched after using the bathroom. And people wonder how I became a germaphobe!
Disney Cruise line passengers will be out of luck if their temperature reading prior to boarding the ship is over 100.4 degrees. The guest will be denied boarding.

A Noble Fish

Face masks are better worn by those who ARE sick than by those who are not. They actually INCREASE your chances of getting sick if you are healthy and wear one.
This claim is mostly false.

Surgical masks work to prevent others from getting sick by the wearer, but cannot prevent you from getting sick due to there not being a seal.

N95 Respirators work well to prevent the intake of suspended droplets on healthy people, but they MUST be handled properly.

They seriously lower the risks due to frequent exposure if you handle the masks properly. The reason why it is recommended for the public not to do so is that healthcare employees need them most and they effectively handle them.

Also, many people don't show symptoms with COVID-19, so even surgical masks can prevent contagious people from spreading it. Masks aren't a bad idea if there's a Wuhan-level outbreak, but medical staff needs them the most, and people MUST learn to use them first. This virus needs to be slowed down effectively, without alarm, and WITH smart procedures.

Seriously people, just start washing your hands for actually 20 seconds. Not this 5-second thing. You need to scrub your hands for that long. Hopefully, people will keep using proper handwashing methods from now on. This along with avoiding touching your face, and avoiding exposure to people in the event of an outbreak is what will help you and society the most.

Last edited:

DisneyCane

Surgical masks work to prevent others from getting sick by the wearer, but cannot prevent you from getting sick due to there not being a seal.

N95 Respirators work well to prevent the intake of suspended droplets on healthy people, but they MUST be handled properly.

They seriously lower the risks if you handle the masks properly. The reason why it is recommended for the public not to do so is that healthcare employees need them most and they effectively handle them.

Also, many people don't show symptoms with COVID-19. Masks aren't a bad idea if there's a Wuhan-level outbreak, but medical staff needs them the most, and people MUST learn to use them first.

This is key. Healthcare workers need to be able to safely treat the people that are infected. They NEED protection. A healthy 35 year old doesn't need protection. There is a very low chance that they will contract the virus if they take other precautions (washing hands, staying away from sick people). Even if they do contract it, there is an extremely low chance they will have a serious or fatal case. However, by selfishly buying an N95 respirator mask, they may be preventing a doctor or nurse from caring for a seriously ill person with the virus.

ImperfectPixie

They seriously lower the risks due to frequent exposure if you handle the masks properly. The reason why it is recommended for the public not to do so is that healthcare employees need them most and they effectively handle them.

Also, many people don't show symptoms with COVID-19, so even surgical masks can prevent contagious people from spreading it. Masks aren't a bad idea if there's a Wuhan-level outbreak, but medical staff needs them the most, and people MUST learn to use them first. This virus needs to be slowed down effectively, without alarm, and WITH smart procedures.

Seriously people, just start washing your hands for actually 20 seconds. Not this 5-second thing. You need to scrub your hands for that long. Hopefully, people will keep using proper handwashing methods from now on. This along with avoiding touching your face, and avoiding exposure to people in the event of an outbreak is what will help you and society the most.
Ummm...if you read my post carefully, it's NOT mostly false. I was quoting a surgeon who spoke specifically about the general public and wearing a face mask when healthy vs. when sick. In the case of the general public - who DO NOT know how to handle the masks nor that the high end respirators need to be fitted - those who are healthy shouldn't be going out and buying up masks because not only do they increase their chances of actually getting sick by handling the mask incorrectly, but they also are creating supply issues for those who work in healthcare fields and need them more. People who ARE sick will do those around them a service by wearing a mask to prevent their mucous from being spread by coughs and/or sneezes.

A Noble Fish

Ummm...if you read my post carefully, it's NOT mostly false. I was quoting a surgeon who spoke specifically about the general public and wearing a face mask when healthy vs. when sick. In the case of the general public - who DO NOT know how to handle the masks nor that the high end respirators need to be fitted - those who are healthy shouldn't be going out and buying up masks because not only do they increase their chances of actually getting sick by handling the mask incorrectly, but they also are creating supply issues for those who work in healthcare fields and need them more. People who ARE sick will do those around them a service by wearing a mask to prevent their mucous from being spread by coughs and/or sneezes.
You have to give that context, and you didn't. Leaving out the context that "who DO NOT know how to handle the masks nor that the high-end respirators need to be fitted" voids your original statement as misleading, and mostly false. Your original statement assumes that it is bad, period.

If you read my post again, it illustrates all your points to an even further extent and does not leave out information. Disinformation can come in various forms, even accidental.

TDogg76

I think WDW is hoping to get through Spring Break season and then reevaluate closing after that! Maybe a mid April-beginning of June closure. That’s my prediction and, no, I didn’t hear it from a bus driver!😉

MrHappy

I think WDW is hoping to get through Spring Break season and then reevaluate closing after that! Maybe a mid April-beginning of June closure. That’s my prediction and, no, I didn’t hear it from a bus driver!😉
They will close when the government says there is a ban on XYZ. Until then, they have no liability. I'm leaving from CT and will be there Wednesday. I'm a bit nervous, but I have a thing with my hands feeling weird and tend to wash them frequently. And I never touch the Pooh Honey wall! So...there's that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom