Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nubs70

First off I don't care about the business because they really could careless about me and if you think they do your kidding yourself. Now I work for a Fortune 100 company so this may vary but for the most part all they care about is making stockholders happy.
Also I said if I was not feeling the effects of being infected. I never said anything about feeling sick and going to work. I don't do that because I am a wuss when I get sick and stay home as long as I can.
For context all of the hourly employees for the company I work for were told December 15th that in 2020 you will no longer get a lump sum of PTO at the beginning of the year it will be accrued throughout 2020. Pretty crappy thing to do at the end of the year when most people didn't save up their PTO because it has always been a lump sum.
Now how do you think they feel if this gets a little worse. They will probably have to make some important decisions.
Accrued PTO, such a blessing. If you have 4 weeks vacation, you do not accrue the full 4 weeks until 12/31 of the year then lose the leftover PTO on 1/1. HR can never explain that problem In their optimized PTO theory.

skiir97

Hypothetical question; lets say WDW does close. When the park reopens once the virus has run its corse do you think the parks would be even busier (due to all the people who had to cancel their original trip) or attendance would nosedive?

Touchdown

Hypothetical question; lets say WDW does close. When the park reopens once the virus has run its corse do you think the parks would be even busier (due to all the people who had to cancel their original trip) or attendance would nose dive?

No, people will fear they opened too soon, not to mention if it gets that bad the economy is going to take a tailspin with tourism being the most effective measure.

You want to see Americans panic? Close Disney World/Land.

Lilofan

Curious on numbers? on how many that could have been exposed and under isolation. A NYC lawyer who recently came back from Miami checked himself into a hospital after feeling ill and is now in critical condition in a NYC hospital after testing positive. His friend and family in NY have also tested positive. Governor Cuomo of NY today went ahead in putting 1,000 people in Westchester County, NY under isolation for possible exposure.
School is out. Westchester County NY in process of shutting down schools.

DisneyCane

I'd take these kinds of things with a pinch of salt. It's already probably a lot more widespread than people realise as for most the symptoms are extremely minor (sniffles or a mild sore throat) and they won't even think of getting checked. I think this is where things like the mortality rate will be wildly inaccurate as its only based on the number of people known to have it.
In looking at the available statistics I am focusing on South Korea. They are testing a lot of people. It's hard to focus on fatality rate because so many cases are still active. However, what we can look at is the rate of serious/critical cases in the active/known case population.

In South Korea, it is currently 0.88%. Worldwide the rate is 16.32%.

The worldwide rate is what is causing the panic. However, South Korea doing so much more testing is finding many more of the mild or asymptomatic cases.

If the South Korea number is the real number then it puts the serious illnesses rate of COVID-19 on basically the same level as the flu. If that is the case then all of the extreme containment measures are unnecessary assuming it is similarly contagious. I don't there is enough data to determine how contagious it is compared to the flu.

If the infection rate and real mortality rate are similar to the flu then it is absolutely insane to cause the fear, panic and economic disruption that is associated with this. While it would be "sad" to double the flu related deaths due to essentially having a second flu outbreak, it isn't justifiable to take the actions being taken and create the fear and economic damage that have been created.

It is quite possible that more people die of hunger from the economic damage than would die if COVID-19 was just allowed to spread rampantly around the globe.

I'm basing all of the opinions in this post on the numbers out of South Korea. They are an advanced society with high quality medical care that is seemingly doing far more testing than any other country as a percentage of the population.

Last edited:

montyz81

In looking at the available statistics I am focusing on South Korea. They are testing a lot of people. It's hard to focus on fatality rate because so many cases are still active. However, what we can look at is the rate of serious/critical cases in the active/known case population.

The worldwide rate is what is causing the panic. However, South Korea doing so much more testing is finding many more of the mild or asymptomatic cases.

If the South Korea number is the real number then it puts the serious illnesses rate of COVID-19 on basically the same level as the flu. If that is the case then all of the extreme containment measures are unnecessary assuming it is similarly contagious. I don't there is enough data to determine how contagious it is compared to the flu.

If the infection rate and real mortality rate are similar to the flu then it is absolutely insane to cause the fear, panic and economic disruption that is associated with this. While it would be "sad" to double the flu related deaths due to essentially having a second flu outbreak, it isn't justifiable to take the actions being and create the fear and economic damage that have been created.

It is quite possible that more people die of hunger from the economic damage than would die if COVID-19 was just allowed to spread rampantly around the globe.

I'm basing all of the opinions in this post on the numbers out of South Korea. They are an advanced society with high quality medical care that is seemingly doing far more testing than any other country as a percentage of the population.
I couldn't have said it better myself. I watched a news report this AM where a doctor said that she would not give much weight to the current mortality rates being calculated as we just don't know how many people are infected or even have been infected and have already gotten better. The internet has officially become the Phone Game. Inaccurate data is what is really spreading like crazy.

Lirael

If the infection rate and real mortality rate are similar to the flu then it is absolutely insane to cause the fear, panic and economic disruption that is associated with this. While it would be "sad" to double the flu related deaths due to essentially having a second flu outbreak, it isn't justifiable to take the actions being and create the fear and economic damage that have been created.

Mortality rate will also vary according to demographic. Italy, for example, has a higher percentage of older people than SK, therefore making more people susceptible to covid complications. Meanwhile, China not only had a lot of poluted air, but also a population with a lot of smokers (I have around 50% of men smoking in mind but can't recall source), again making their population more susceptible.

Also, there's the quality/quantity of medical service and illness culture.

Quality/quantity of medical service: how good a countries medical team is and how much is there. Another reason why the death toll in China is so bad is that because they had too much cases (because they didn't take it seriously early enough), they didn't have enough medical staff and facilities to treat everyone, thus resulting in a bigger death toll from those that might have been saved had they received appropriate medical help. Because SK is testing everyone they can get their hands on, they're able to cull and medicate people before they've reached dire symptoms, so their medical services are yet not overrun (last I heard)

And finally, seeking illness culture: in a country where people are more prone to going to the doctor for any small thing than grabbing a doctor's note to stay at home during it, it's more likely to come out that someone has the virus earlier on and resulting in less spread than somewhere there's a culture of self medicating and going to work.

TO SUMMARIZE: while the death rate in South Korea is a good thing and people shouldn't be setting up for the end of the world, culture has an impact on that rate and doing as China did - only doing anything after thousands were impacted- is not a good move.

Piebald

With all the hysteria, I wouldnt cite Ultra Music Festival being canceled as any sort of indicator of anything just yet. City officials, powerful NIMBYs have been at war with UMF and while I'm sure partly they are concerned (although the mayor explicitly said he was not concerned and then somehow changed hi$ mind a few day$ later) I'd be curious to see what happens. At the moment it is "postponed" with no future date and thousands of people have booked flights and hotel to an already extremely expensive event. They arent offering refunds due to the postponement vs canceling the event.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
With all the hysteria, I wouldnt cite Ultra Music Festival being canceled as any sort of indicator of anything just yet. City officials, powerful NIMBYs have been at war with UMF and while I'm sure partly they are concerned (although the mayor explicitly said he was not concerned and then somehow changed hi$ mind a few day$ later) I'd be curious to see what happens. At the moment it is "postponed" with no future date and thousands of people have booked flights and hotel to an already extremely expensive event. They arent offering refunds due to the postponement vs canceling the event.
It's something other conferences and festivals will point to, though, as they make go/no-go decisions.

ELG13

Hypothetical question; lets say WDW does close. When the park reopens once the virus has run its corse do you think the parks would be even busier (due to all the people who had to cancel their original trip) or attendance would nosedive?
Not the same situation per se but when they closed after the hurricane two (?) Years ago they were a little crazy because of all of the people they had to reschedule. This is different obviously because that was a closure for a natural disaster but just speaking from moving all those guests from those few days they were closed to other days, that was hectic. We had to change our plans because the week we had intended to go was all of a sudden booked solid. I called to ask why and they told me they had rescheduled a lot of guests from the closure.

ELG13

TO SUMMARIZE: while the death rate in South Korea is a good thing and people shouldn't be setting up for the end of the world, culture has an impact on that rate and doing as China did - only doing anything after thousands were impacted- is not a good move.
[/QUOTE]
This. This is my point when I speak on the subject. Wanting to get ahead of it BEFORE it gets to what China saw is key. But most of us that want to be proactive are considered fear mongers or alarmists.

Jrn14

This. This is my point when I speak on the subject. Wanting to get ahead of it BEFORE it gets to what China saw is key. But most of us that want to be proactive are considered fear mongers or alarmists.
[/QUOTE]

Yep and meanwhile others are saying it's ok to go to work with the coronavirus.....😐

Kevin_W

It's something other conferences and festivals will point to, though, as they make go/no-go decisions.

I'm in Columbus, where large portions of the Arnold Sport Fest have been cancelled. And most of the ongoing competitions will not have spectators. It's caused quite a bit of consternation around here (the Arnold draws 22,000 athletes and ~250,000 visitors).

ImperfectPixie

Yep and meanwhile others are saying it's ok to go to work with the coronavirus.....😐
Pretty sure no one is saying it's okay to go to work with coronavirus. All I've seen is complaints about management that makes it virtually impossible to NOT go to work sick sometimes.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Pretty sure no one is saying it's okay to go to work with coronavirus. All I've seen is complaints about management that makes it virtually impossible to NOT go to work sick sometimes.
And has been stated many times, you can be infectious without symptoms. That innocent sneeze might be a blast of viruses flying out to infect all your coworkers within a 10-foot radius. So, "don't go to work sick" just isn't very helpful since you don't know what you might have. If we really wanted to stop this thing cold*, we'd isolate EVERYBODY for three weeks and just let it burn out. Odds of that happening: zero.

* no pun intended

ImperfectPixie

Darn that company attendance policy!
Honestly, I dislike managers who basically see their employees only as a number (there are tons - even in small businesses), but I understand why those policies are necessary. You know what they say...all it takes is for a few stupid/selfish people to screw things up for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom