Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I wonder about the effect of the stimulus for unemployment. Yesterday, Ohio posted thousands of available jobs... mostly for lower income workers, but those people will be making the same or more from unemployment... will they take the jobs?
I was thinking more of people who maybe had a second job already that were for example bartending or waiting tables at night. They may be looking to pick up extra work to replace that lost income. If they are still working their first job they won’t qualify for unemployment. If they lost both jobs then yes, it may be better to just take the extra unemployment.

Jwink

I never said they weren’t. I have near and dear friends who are salaried. And I’m only seasonal, but my role is non-union, so all my friends I work with are as well. Trust me, I don’t want anyone to lose their job, and I apologize if I made it sound like I did.

But I’m also trying to think about what Disney’s move would be from a business perspective. There is a person behind every role, but if they have to make cuts, Disney will do what makes the most business sense (which I’m sure involves far more variables than just the few I mentioned in my previous post), and people will lose jobs. My husband is hourly, my friends are non-union hourly, and my son’s father is salaried. I don’t want ANY of them to lose their job. But Disney will do what they have to to stay in business, and that was just my theory as to what that is.
I know the situation is different but in 2008 when people were laid off it was all salary

Patcheslee

OK. That makes more sense. There’s a lot of people temporarily out of work, maybe they can recruit some temp help. Not sure how long it would take to train people though.
I know our school district can't issue or renew work permits for kids rights now. So depending on the place and paperwork requirements they can't do normal work.

Jwink

I know some who work in Orlando also impacted. Like some they have other sources of income ( side jobs that are lucrative ) so with the unemployment checks, $600 per week 24 week stimulus money, 1-2K stimulus money they will be fine for the next few months. But I agree, if it's depression levels, some people will not be able to cope with it.
Fine how though? If we don’t pay any bills? And I’m not being snarky. I mean like do we defer everything and save all we can?

GoofGoof

Premium Member
Fine how though? If we don’t pay any bills? And I’m not being snarky. I mean like do we defer everything and save all we can?
You most likely will be able to defer your mortgage payments. In addition you can reach out to other vendors you do business with for things like utilities. I know in the power industry most retail suppliers are offering either extentions on payment die dates or payment plans. They have also suspended revoking power from customers who don’t pay. Things like cell phone, cable tv and car insurance all vary depending on the company. If you have car loans you may even be able to defer them. You will still need money to buy food, medication and supplies, but a lot of the other bills can be deferred at least temporarily.

jrhwdw

Granted, I'm not in the science field(and this may be overboard)but.......So....No one figured out how to end this or at least get us to the recovery side yet?!?!?!? Anyone else think we should think about canceling NFL Football this year?? Maybe THAT will get people thinking????

Sorry! I just feel for the furloughed CMs and the news doesn't seem to be getting better, on TV and/or in the Disney Parks Worldwide Dept!

imsosarah

You most likely will be able to defer your mortgage payments. In addition you can reach out to other vendors you do business with for things like utilities. I know in the power industry most retail suppliers are offering either extentions on payment die dates or payment plans. They have also suspended revoking power from customers who don’t pay. Things like cell phone, cable tv and car insurance all vary depending on the company. If you have car loans you may even be able to defer them. You will still need money to buy food, medication and supplies, but a lot of the other bills can be deferred at least temporarily.

Cancelling cable, moving to netflix/etc - i think we will see a lot of unneeded stuff take hits in a few months and people start living more frugally. What they eat, more pasta/rice/fresh foods = less meat...

21stamps

Premier League players are asked to take 30% pay cut.

Britain's health minister, Matt Hancock, said on Thursday that Premier League players need to take a pay cut and "play their part" during the coronavirus pandemic.

Provisional plans to resume competitive fixtures at the beginning of May have also been abandoned, with the Premier League confirming that football will only return "when it is safe and appropriate to do so."

Disney Analyst

This hurts my soul. Let people be in the water. My understanding is that most states are still allowing private ocean access, and personal watercraft.
If there was any time when I would want to spend a morning boating, diving, and surfing, it would be now.

I was trying last week to go to KW to coquarantine with a friend.. I’m just too scared that my kid and I might not get in.

That same friend purchased flights to Israel when things really started being restricted. Her and her daughter went to MIA, thru security, to the gate... and then could not get on the plane, due to her daughter’s American passport. Had to turn around and go all the way back.
No refunds for the flights.

I've seen problems come up with boats crowding together on the water, too many people on boats, beaches ending up full of people not practicing social-distancing, etc. The water is far more difficult to police than land, so I kind of get why they'd be discouraging it.

We have had similar issues up here, not boating... but people going to our lovely sea walls and hiking trails.

The issue is, one person sees a small group doing it... so they bring their small group. And then the next does.. and the next. And before you know it too many people are out doing that, thinking it’s fine as someone else was.

So now they are closing hiking spots here.

People have taken to cycling and walking in big cemeteries as they are quiet, and now more people are... so now they are having to put signs up about distancing.

It’s sad, it sucks. But if we all just stay home for a while, and stop thinking it’s just me or my small group, as it just creates a perception that leads to encouraging others to do the same.

5thGenTexan

Granted, I'm not in the science field(and this may be overboard)but.......So....No one figured out how to end this or at least get us to the recovery side yet?!?!?!? Anyone else think we should think about canceling NFL Football this year?? Maybe THAT will get people thinking????

Sorry! I just feel for the furloughed CMs and the news doesn't seem to be getting better, on TV and/or in the Disney Parks Worldwide Dept!

My apologies for being gross, but... If you get a stomach virus or eat something bad and have the trots for a few days do you just will it away or let it run its course?

There is not a way to just end this... we are going to have to ride it out as much as that sucks.

imsosarah

We know know this ends and gets to recovery side. People stay home. Unfortunately we have 12 states still that refuse to shut stuff down and we have open borders between states. We have many others that shut down so late. The 100k number being touted at this point ASSUMES all states are on safer at home orders by EOD today, no one is doing things with neighbors, play dates, etc breaking the rules AND this behavior continues until June. None of those things are true - which only prolongs the entire thing, keeping more people out of work longer AND increases our potential death toll numbers. We are doubling our death rate every 3-4 days. That is A LOT of people in 30 days. Pray this social distancing works.

This could have been different - We missed the window for testing...and still don't have proper testing. We made the wrong bet as a nation.

FWIW - I bet there will be NFL cancellations for sure.

It all sucks, and that feeling of anger, exhaustion and overwhelm - its grief.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes

Yes, let's cancel everything because people are clearly not trying hard enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom