Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

dizneycrazy09

Stop being so selfish.

The economy everywhere is plummeting.
City of Austin just lost $585 million with SxSW being cancelled.
City of Atlanta even more with the Final Four being lockeddown.

Selfish? Wow. I understand your position on demanding that WDW be shut down NOW. I think we all hear you loud and clear, but you are being slightly unreasonable in seeing the reasons that it hasn't been shut down already. WDW's employees rely on a paycheck just like everyone else out there (and with how little they're paid, rely on that paycheck more than most).

Can you live without a paycheck for two, three, FOUR weeks? I don't really think it's about Disney being greedy, money-grubbing a**hats at this point. I don't envy ANYONE that has to make the decision I'm sure they're struggling very hard with marking.

LukeS7

Miami-Dade county just suspended all mass gatherings. I know it's not immediately adjacent to Disney, but I'd assume this'll be the start of closures in Florida

arich35

I am a little confused with people saying if Disney were to stay open they could get a lot of lawsuits if people caught the virus when there. Nobody is forcing someone to go to Disney, every single person can cancel if they choose to. The workers might have that option but there is no way the general public could sue them.

Jwink

Stop being so selfish.

The economy everywhere is plummeting.
City of Austin just lost $585 million with SxSW being cancelled.
City of Atlanta even more with the Final Four being lockeddown.
I’m not being selfish. I have 2 kids to worry about. We stand to lose everything if we lose our Disney income as it’s our breadwinning income. I don’t know how being terrified translates to being selfish but take a look around. If you lost your main income would you be ok? Would your loved ones? Your best friends? Maybe some will be ok... most will not. Fear is not selfish.

TaoBoxer

Makes zero sense.

When you get on rides at WDW you are in closed areas, sitting on vehicles and touching handlebars that 1000s of people have rotate through. (Corona virus stays on surfaces for quite a long time). Disney does not wipe down entire vehicles every time a new guest sits in it. Much more of a risk than someone sitting in their own seat for 3 hours in a huge arena.
Got it. Just trying to make sense out of it all. Clearly, I was of no help.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Easy, big fella...
index(5).jpg

VaderTron

I’ll be very interested to see what the park crowds look like tomorrow. With the European ban, Tom Hanks, and NBA news happening within an hour I think this might be what actually drives a lot away. I know I’m already rethinking my plans this weekend.

Woody quotes that haven't aged well in the past 24hrs:

"Somebody's poisoned the water hole!"
"Well, then, let's find out together."
"This is the perfect time to panic!"
"So long partner..."

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I’m not being selfish. I have 2 kids to worry about. We stand to lose everything if we lose our Disney income as it’s our breadwinning income. I don’t know how being terrified translates to being selfish but take a look around. If you lost your main income would you be ok? Would your loved ones? Your best friends? Maybe some will be ok... most will not. Fear is not selfish.
I feel for you and understand the fear. It‘s a widespread problem that will likely get worse. If you work for an airline, a cruise company, a bar or restaurant in a town/state told to practice social distancing and many other industries you are going to see reduced or no income while the crisis continues. A lot of the workers impacted are paid hourly or rely on tips for income so they aren’t going to automatically be made whole by their employers. The government needs to work on an actual plan to help people financially immediately. I don’t see a way that employers are going to step up and do this themselves without government help.

All that being said, the problem with WDW is it has very large crowds from all over. It would be very hard to test and monitor all of the guests and workers daily to ensure nobody brings the virus in. I think they need to at least try to do that if they stay open. Getting ahead of this virus (we are way behind already and it’s early on) is key to making the whole crisis end sooner. It may be a bad result economically to ban large crowds and public gatherings now, but if the disease spreads out of control the shut down a month or 2 from now may last twice as long and countless more people will get sick and/or die. That’s what people want to try to avoid.

ImperfectPixie

I feel for you and understand the fear. It‘s a widespread problem that will likely get worse. If you work for an airline, a cruise company, a bar or restaurant in a town/state told to practice social distancing and many other industries you are going to see reduced or no income while the crisis continues. A lot of the workers impacted are paid hourly or rely on tips for income so they aren’t going to automatically be made whole by their employers. The government needs to work on an actual plan to help people financially immediately. I don’t see a way that employers are going to step up and do this themselves without government help.

All that being said, the problem with WDW is it has very large crowds from all over. It would be very hard to test and monitor all of the guests and workers daily to ensure nobody brings the virus in. I think they need to at least try to do that if they stay open. Getting ahead of this virus (we are way behind already and it’s early on) is key to making the whole crisis end sooner. It may be a bad result economically to ban large crowds and public gatherings now, but if the disease spreads out of control the shut down a month or 2 from now may last twice as long and countless more people will get sick and/or die. That’s what people want to try to avoid.
No matter what Disney does in regards to its employees and guests (testing and monitoring), it won't matter. It can spread from those who have no symptoms.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
No matter what Disney does in regards to its employees and guests (testing and monitoring), it won't matter. It can spread from those who have no symptoms.
Yes and no. You can’t stop all spread for sure but you can put a huge dent in it. I also think that if you test for fever and other symptoms daily it will prevent sick people from trying to go anyway (Workers and guests). If they stay open they need to do something.

John park hopper

Disney in Japan is actually closed right now.
WDW Orlando is the only one holding out for money while the NBA has shutdown the season and March Madness is a shell of what it once was due to lockdown.

There is no excuse for WDW to still stay open.
Major League Baseball is on the chopping block also
I am a little confused with people saying if Disney were to stay open they could get a lot of lawsuits if people caught the virus when there. Nobody is forcing someone to go to Disney, every single person can cancel if they choose to. The workers might have that option but there is no way the general public could sue them.
Lawyers have sued Disney for the most ridiculous things and no one forced them to go. Wait and see it will happen

ImperfectPixie

Yes and no. You can’t stop all spread for sure but you can put a huge dent in it. I also think that if you test for fever and other symptoms daily it will prevent sick people from trying to go anyway (Workers and guests). If they stay open they need to do something.
Oh, I agree. Any measures are better than none. But the reality is that it will spread no matter what we do...we just need to turn down the faucet and keep the spread to a drip instead of allowing it to become a waterfall.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom