Coronavirus and Walt Disney World general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jwink

I think President Trump made it pretty clear that if congress doesn't pass legislation for this, he will provide replacement pay by executive order. Even if it is not technically proper to do that with an executive order, I don't think that any political opponents would fight in court to stop mitigation payments for workers adversely affected by the response to COVID-19.

Very good point about the night time shows. Those should probably be suspended immediately.

I don’t think it will replace everything we will lose and I don’t think it will be fast. How can they determine how much to give? I mean unemployment here amounts to $275 a week whereas the bread winner in my home brings home $760 a week 🤷🏻‍♀️

ELG13

I wonder how bad it would need to get for the world to agree to just shut down for a month and everyone avoid everyone. It's insane but it's a net benefit to everyone.
I agree. When I first mentioned something another poster said cancelling travel would be unnecessarily inconvenient. But now my question is would you rather be inconvenienced for 2 weeks or 6? Because it doesn't look good ...

Slpy3270

"We're incredibly resilient." - Chairman of company that's about to see tens of billions in revenue wiped out and thus potentially destroy the company.

TrojanUSC

I think President Trump made it pretty clear that if congress doesn't pass legislation for this, he will provide replacement pay by executive order. Even if it is not technically proper to do that with an executive order, I don't think that any political opponents would fight in court to stop mitigation payments for workers adversely affected by the response to COVID-19.

Very good point about the night time shows. Those should probably be suspended immediately.

There's no real precedent for a President issuing an order to "repay" employees of a private company who are out of work. No money allocated, no budget for it, etc. Even unemployment is generally a state system, unless Congress passes an extension and allocates money to the states.

Agreed parades and nighttime shows should be suspended immediately.

durangojim

My kids’ schools were immediately cancelled for the rest of the week after the president’s address. They say it’s to train teachers how to teach remotely. We’re in Michigan with two confirmed cases as of today, but there will be more.

ELG13

Nobody seems to get that though.

It's better to do it now and control the outbreak and to assuage all the panicked people.
The panic is what is making things worse but we can't ignore the fact that alot of people are panicking and not thinking logically.
Agreed. I work with people in China everyday and watching first hand how it played out PERSONALLY for these people i feel like I understood it differently than what was being shown on tv. I didn't want that to happen here. I was all for getting ahead of this so it wouldn't turn in to people freaking out. I would rather overreact and stop something than try and catch up to something. Because when you can't catch it, people panic.

durangojim

"We're incredibly resilient." - Chairman of company that's about to see tens of billions in revenue wiped out and thus potentially destroy the company.
If 9/11 didn’t destroy the company, this won’t. But it will be hard times for a while and great big discounts for at least a year to come.

Jwink

There's no real precedent for a President issuing an order to "repay" employees of a private company who are out of work. No money allocated, no budget for it, etc. Even unemployment is generally a state system, unless Congress passes an extension and allocates money to the states.

Exactly. He can’t make them pay if there’s no money. I’m terrified. If they close Disney there goes our income. We’ll lose our house

DisneyCane

I don’t think it will replace everything we will lose and I don’t think it will be fast. How can they determine how much to give? I mean unemployment here amounts to $275 a week whereas the bread winner in my home brings home $760 a week 🤷🏻‍♀️

To determine how much, they have your payroll records because your employer files them with the social security administration with every paycheck.

Since I am not part of the Trump administration, I can't answer about whether it will be fast. My gut would say that President Trump will do everything possible to quickly provide mitigation for lost paychecks to minimize the negative effect of COVID-19 on the economy. I do not intend the last sentence to be political commentary, just a gut feeling. If a moderator disagrees I will delete it.

DisneyCane

I agree there is no precedent. I just think that if he does it, nobody is going to fight him on it. Can you imagine being the politician arguing against replacing people's lost pay due to the crisis? Nobody will want to hear minutia about constitutional powers. All they will hear is I can't go to work because of coronavirus and you are trying to stop the President from replacing my paycheck so I can pay my rent and buy food.

IanDLBZF

I hate to break this to you, but I have a feeling your replacement trip will likely be canceled for you.
Plus my mom and I are going to NY (and I will be going to Boston) at the end of this month, well my mom will be going mostly for a Advanced Pediatric Emergency Medicine Assembly. At this point, we are at a wait-and-see basis before we can decide if this trip is still on or not.

DisneyCane

Exactly. He can’t make them pay if there’s no money. I’m terrified. If they close Disney there goes our income. We’ll lose our house

I don't think the intention is to make Disney pay you. I think based on what has been said that the government would essentially provide paid leave.

There may be opportunities to negotiate with large companies like Disney to give them future tax breaks if they pay employees that are furloughed due to the crisis.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I don't think the intention is to make Disney pay you. I think based on what has been said that the government would essentially provide paid leave.

There may be opportunities to negotiate with large companies like Disney to give them future tax breaks if they pay employees that are furloughed due to the crisis.
I still think the best way to keep employees whole and get the money to them immediately is to require employers to give workers time off with pay if they test positive. Then give tax breaks or direct funding back to employers. That’s for sick people. I don’t know how you handle something like WDW closing for X number of weeks. I guess maybe an extension of unemployment (a short term plan) but that doesn’t get most people where they need to be financially.

THEMEPARKPIONEER

Disney needs to close that’s all there is to it. As hard as it is for many to say I’d skip a couple paychecks if I knew it was to potentially save a few lives.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom