News Coronado Springs Expansion - Gran Destino Tower

Club Cooloholic

So, it used to be that you went back to your room after being at the park all day and you could enjoy yourself. You were at a resort with people that were paying more or less for the same thing you were(so maybe some paid for the club levels, but you were not going to be on that floor and see it anyway), anyway you were all sharing the experience. Now you have this to go with those over the water cabanas at Poly to just say to make you feel a little smaller again. I do like the bridges and floating gardens idea, the one reason I never stayed at CS was it seemed a haul getting anywhere.

deWild

Because they want to move convention business to the Yacht Club so there will be more guests spending money in the EPCOT area.

I can definitely see the Boardwalk area becoming quite a hotspot if more convention guests stay there, more so than it already is at night. The area is stunning to walk around at night. If this eventually happens, what will become of space where the Contemporary convention center is now?

DisneyJeff

In the Parks
No
I can definitely see the Boardwalk area becoming quite a hotspot if more convention guests stay there, more so than it already is at night. The area is stunning to walk around at night. If this eventually happens, what will become of space where the Contemporary convention center is now?

Bay Lake Tower #2.

*Q*

Bay Lake Tower #2.
I suppose they would call it the Seven Seas Tower. Or, if they had any balls, they'd call it the Water Bridge Tower. ;)

rael ramone

Egad, I'm actually going to roll with a negative post for once.

CS has always been at the top of my list, and as others have covered, it truly is a masterpiece of theming that has flown under the radar in numerous ways. I've made it a point on many evenings to sit down on a bench and just take in the lake and the beautifully illuminated El Centro across the water while Florida's nature provides the evening symphony. It's been an absolute slice of heaven.

My gut reaction is that all of that is going the way of the dodo, and that's pretty sad.

Again, as others have mentioned, the scale of the tower compared to the existing structures seems waaaaay off, in addition to the theming of the tower apparently clashing with the existing design harshly. While the floating gardens and bridges do have attractive points in my imagination, the beautiful open expanse of the lake will be only a memory.

I'm going to really miss that.

Club Chappies Cabanas blend far, far, far, better to it's environment then the El Diablo Tower does to the pristine, properly scaled Coronado Springs Resort.

It's like having a residential area that has Historical Architectural Codes applied to it having a tacky McMansion stuck in it.

Imagine the Grand Floridian DVC building being 15 stories instead of what it is now..... and have it make no attempt to look like the main buildings...

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
I mentioned this elsewhere, but the trees are my favorite part of the concept art. They do a really good job at classing the whole thing up a little bit, and seem to be reminiscent of a lot of Herb Ryman's concept paintings for EPCOT Center. For instance compare the new tower:
coronado-springs-concept-art-disney-world.jpg

To this:
2f62d4b5911cb028759cbeae7f9e8c47.jpg

That said, I agree that it's bad news when the focal point of your concept is a clump of trees blocking the view. Any 15-story tower would be a tough fit for the hotel's existing theme and buildings, but this one seems especially ill-conceived

In a way, the hotel's impending fate reminds me of Ms Piggy's introduction in MuppetVision 3D:
Stadler: Isn't it lovely?
Waldorf: Yah. Too bad they're going to spoil it with a pig!

This tower seems to totally fit with the Ms. Piggy reference and CSR. :D

dothebrdwalk

I think it looks great honestly. And it will push me to the Coronado Springs, a place I most likely wouldn't have stayed at before. I feel like this is their "Four Seasons Killer" which was talked about in the whole "knock down the Grand Floridian" idea a few weeks back. Hopefully, they put the effort in and really bring it to the luxury level. It seems like that's where it's headed at least with the addition of the concierge level and rooftop restaurant.

AndrewsJ

So, it used to be that you went back to your room after being at the park all day and you could enjoy yourself. You were at a resort with people that were paying more or less for the same thing you were(so maybe some paid for the club levels, but you were not going to be on that floor and see it anyway), anyway you were all sharing the experience. Now you have this to go with those over the water cabanas at Poly to just say to make you feel a little smaller again. I do like the bridges and floating gardens idea, the one reason I never stayed at CS was it seemed a haul getting anywhere.
I never let anyone make me feel "less than". I could stay in a poly villa over the water if I wanted to but I'm smarter than that. But just because someone else is paying ridiculously high prices for where they lay their head doesn't make me feel less than them at all. It just makes me feel like they are getting ripped off and I'm glad it's not me.

freediverdude

It sounds like with all these new plans that they are looking at eliminating the moderate category and making those 3 resorts into deluxes. If they put in the gondolas, add in health clubs and restaurants, and re-do the rooms, then they can sell it that way and turn $200 rooms into $500 rooms. And some DVC is icing on the cake.

21stamps

I never let anyone make me feel "less than". I could stay in a poly villa over the water if I wanted to but I'm smarter than that. But just because someone else is paying ridiculously high prices for where they lay their head doesn't make me feel less than them at all. It just makes me feel like they are getting ripped off and I'm glad it's not me.
I'm one of the very few people here who like the look of the bungalows..especially coming in from boat. I know people are paying a TON of money to stay in them..and that's ok. To each their own.
If I'm in the grocery store and see a woman with a nicer handbag than I have, one that I know I'll never spend that amount of money on, it doesn't make me feel "less"..or smart. I'll probably just compliment her on the bag and go about my day, but there's no other emotion involved.

For this CSR thing, I've never been on property, probably never will be. This new resort looks nice, but it looks like any other 15 story hotel. Boo on the no balconies though.

bhg469

I think it looks great honestly. And it will push me to the Coronado Springs, a place I most likely wouldn't have stayed at before. I feel like this is their "Four Seasons Killer" which was talked about in the whole "knock down the Grand Floridian" idea a few weeks back. Hopefully, they put the effort in and really bring it to the luxury level. It seems like that's where it's headed at least with the addition of the concierge level and rooftop restaurant.
If you had to be pushed there, why bother? It was a perfect resort for what it was. Made Caribbean beach look like an all star.

Now.. It will have a 15 story tower and it will be much less quaint.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
It sounds like with all these new plans that they are looking at eliminating the moderate category and making those 3 resorts into deluxes. If they put in the gondolas, add in health clubs and restaurants, and re-do the rooms, then they can sell it that way and turn $200 rooms into $500 rooms. And some DVC is icing on the cake.

While it's possible Disney is going to try to make CSR a deluxe, it has some obstacles... the legacy rooms are not the size of a deluxe and they don't open to a hallway. While that is not an obstacle to the huts on the water at the Polynesian, it is an obstacle to being 'deluxe' if they open to a parking lot.

Some insiders are saying that DVC is not coming to CSR, which is also an indication of it not becoming a Deluxe property.

The most likely situation with the new tower is going for a more business class deluxe rooms for conventioneers in the tower rooms. CSR would be left with a mixed value situation, as oft is the case with large hotels.

21stamps

While it's possible Disney is going to try to make CSR a deluxe, it has some obstacles... the legacy rooms are not the size of a deluxe and they don't open to a hallway. While that is not an obstacle to the huts on the water at the Polynesian, it is an obstacle to being 'deluxe' if they open to a parking lot.

Some insiders are saying that DVC is not coming to CSR, which is also an indication of it not becoming a Deluxe property.

The most likely situation with the new tower is going for a more business class deluxe rooms for conventioneers in the tower rooms. CSR would be left with a mixed value situation, as oft is the case with large hotels.

Is there a reason that the classification is so important?
For me personally, I look at location/convenience, amenities, resort size, pool slide, and dining options when choosing a resort. Not the "category" as much.

I would be happy staying at a "moderate" that had bigger rooms and a good location.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Is there a reason that the classification is so important?
For me personally, I look at location/convenience, amenities, resort size, pool slide, and dining options when choosing a resort. Not the "category" as much.

I would be happy staying at a "moderate" that had bigger rooms and a good location.

Yeah, they charge a lot more based on the classification.

21stamps

Yeah, they charge a lot more based on the classification.
I think the prices will go up even if it isn't classified as "deluxe". But even in the Deluxe category the price range is so vast. One can stay club level at a few Deluxe resorts with a lower price than a regular room at a few others.
Maybe they will just have that type of wide price range for the moderates now.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom