Corian countertops

figmentmom

Original Poster
Anyone here have Corian kitchen countertops? We're renovating our kitchen, and I found a Corian I looooove. The stuff isn't cheap, but it does come with a 10-year warranty. Any opinions? Does it resist stains? (Can you REALLY smooth out surface scratches with steel wool?!?)

Nemo14

Mary - Dave says it is every bit as good as they say, and he much prefers it to granite even...... not that we have it in our kitchen, but someday!

What color did you like?

Cliffordsmon

I have had corian countertops for 15 years and they still look great! If I had it to do over again I wouldn't have put in the corian sink because it does chip and stain but that is because I live with Dr. Destructo and children of Destructo.

The countertops have been maintenance free and we have not have any problems, chips or cracks. They were well worth the money!

tigsmom

We put it in when we redid the kitchen about 4 years ago. We love it and it held up very well. Any small scratches can be buffed out or waxed over.

Take your time and make sure you love the color with your cabinets and with the paint color. Mine goes well with the honey colored cabinets, but I can't find a color paint that I really like with it. :zipit:

figmentmom

Original Poster
Oh good..."guys" are coming.
I hope that means this isn't a dh renovation.
I still remember the bathroom...:dazzle:

Who will ever forget that! :eek:

...or the basement or the porch roof or the living room or the dining room...:ROFLOL:

No, figgydad is leaving this project to the pros (although I suspect it's only because he - grudgingly - admits he can't make his own Corian.) :ROFLOL:

Uponastar

...or the basement or the porch roof or the living room or the dining room...:ROFLOL:

No, figgydad is leaving this project to the pros (although I suspect it's only because he - grudgingly - admits he can't make his own Corian.) :ROFLOL:

At least he knows his limitations. :lookaroun

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member

Good thing to. Corian is easy to work with...if you know how to do it but the average Joe that has never worked with it before can mess it up like you would not believe. You will not be disappointed. Corian is one of the best materials on the planet to make counter tops out of.

figmentmom

Original Poster
Good thing to. Corian is easy to work with...if you know how to do it but the average Joe that has never worked with it before can mess it up like you would not believe. You will not be disappointed. Corian is one of the best materials on the planet to make counter tops out of.

I'm glad to hear it! I LOVE the look, and granite seemed too high-maintenance (and expensive, AND DARK!)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm glad to hear it! I LOVE the look, and granite seemed too high-maintenance (and expensive, AND DARK!)
Yeah, granite can be a pain. The synthetic granite counter tops that do not require sealing are great but they ain't cheap.

I'm still stuck with laminate counter tops and white melamine cabinets. I can not wait to gut my kitchen to bare walls and start over again.

figmentmom

Original Poster
What color did you decide on, Mary?

It's white, with flecks of peach, light yellow, and pale green...very subtle and light. I looooove it. It's called Whitecaps.

Yeah, granite can be a pain. The synthetic granite counter tops that do not require sealing are great but they ain't cheap.

I'm still stuck with laminate counter tops and white melamine cabinets. I can not wait to gut my kitchen to bare walls and start over again.

Well, we've had the same ghastly yellow Formica since we bought the house when we were first married, so recession or not, I'm going ahead with this! :sohappy:

Not to mention radioactive! :eek:

Yep, that's what I hear! :eek:

figmentmom

Original Poster
One more Corian question - do those of you with Corian countertops also have Corian sinks? We were going to re-use our own kitchen sink, but decided to go with the Corian. The salespeople SWEAR it's a breeze to keep clean. Truth or not?

In an effort to put the best possible spin on how much this Corian sink is costing us, I brightly told figgydad that now he'd never have to caulk around the kitchen sink again, and think how much money that would save! :lol: He replied, "For that amount, I could have bought a TRUCKLOAD of the stuff, and caulked every kitchen sink in the neighborhood FOR LIFE." Good thing he has a great sense of humor. :ROFLOL:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom