CoP building at The World's Fair

mlshaver1896

Original Poster
Is the building that housed the CoP at The World's Fair still there? If so What's in it? Also was the building at WDW built for the CoP? If not what was in it before? Oh and the old CoP building at DL can it still rotate if needed or did they rip the turny stuff out of it? Thanks for the info just trying to put togather a small report for myself.

Figment1986

The WDW building was built for COP....

The DL building housing innoventions still rotates... (in the oposite directrion it did with COP though..)

I do not know if that building in NY still exists......

Jerm

No the building is gone. You can find a ton of diffrent sites on the worlds fair if you look around. I had one that listed all the buildings and what they were used for and when they were torn down but I can't find it. If you do a serch for GE's Progressland you can find more info on CoP at the Worlds Fair. Be advised you will be upset at some of the things that they had that didn't get sent over.

J

Expo_Seeker40

Just like everyone has been saying, no the original 1964-1965 New York World's Fair General Electric/Progressland pavilion no longer existed past the World's Fair itself.

There was simply no need of it. The carousel of progress was just a piece of the multi floored pavilion. There were many other exhibits inside the progressland pavilin, including the nuclear fusion demonstration. :cool:

When the carousel of progress opened at Disneyland in 1967 with the new and second version of Tomorrowland.,it had a smaller and brand new building. A brand new theater was built, but still rotated clockwise. While a second floor was added where people could see the giant model of EPCOT at the finale of the carousel of progress. [Which only a small portion remains to this day, visible on/from the Tomorrowland Transit Authority]

When it was decided to expand and "complete" Walt Disney World's tomorrowland circa 1975, the carousel of progress was shipped off to Florida. The pavilion remained in Disneyland, but the theater was completely mechanically redone so it could turn counterclockwise. A new carousel stage sho called America Sings opened its place. The second floor became offices and storage. While the suprspedd tunnel and later tron tunnel entertained visitors through the carousel pavilion. Today the pavilion now houses innoventions at disneyland's tomorrowland 98'. The floor still roratets counter clockwise, only that the theater was taken out and a platform was placed in the revolving belt.

In 1975 the carousel of progress opened in a brand new pavilion built for just it at Walt Disney World's tomorrowland. There was no second floor for visitors. Since then the show has gone through three different presentations. First the 1975 General Electric "Now is the Time", then the about 1985 sponsorless "Now is the Time", and the current 1994 sponsorless but revised "Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress" featuring "There's A Great Big Beauitful Tomorrow" the original themese song that played at both the world's fair and at Disneyland. LOL now we have the thrid version of the carousel of pavilion, and the third version of the carousel theater, and this one also rotates counter clockwise. :lol:

rentNdisney

the world's fair is quite sad....I pass by the sight quite often, and all that reamains is the gib metal globe thing. They tried to make it inot a park, but no one really went with that. I think they have some dinky museum, but really all thats left is the globe. If you go all you'll see is a Tennis Stadium where they play the US Open (sorry don't know the actual name, not a big tennis fan) and Shea Stadium (home of my Mets). You;d think with how great the city can preserve historic landsites, they would have done something better with the World's Fair...but if anyone's planning on shlepping to Flushing to see what's there....skip it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom