Contemporary Resort

Firewolfe51

To anyone & everyone. What kind of input can I get about the CR. We have always wanted to stay there, but just unsure. Looks pretty cool, but is it???? Been at Caribbean and the Poly. Great stay at both. So far though, Poly is the favorite. Probably going again in October and we are trying to decide on a place to stay. We enjoy trying something different each time we go!!!!!!! Thanks for any input and comments.

MicBat

The Contemporary is my favorite WDW resort! All of the times I've stayed there, I have stayed in the garden rooms (outside of the tower) b/c they are much more relaxing and less busy than those found in the tower.

Upvote 0

wolf359

My wife and I stayed there in February for our honeymoon. We had a 14th floor room with a MK view so our experience might be a little out of the ordinary, but we really loved it. It was really nice being that close to the MK and the hotel was everything we were looking for. Best week I've ever had!

The only drawback (and if you've stayed at the Poly you know) is that the busing is awful! I was surprised that the deluxe resorts all shared buses and it took a LONG time to get anywhere...Especially Downtown Disney.

...Of course walking to the Magic Kingdom made up for it!

:)

Upvote 0

Sorcerer1

Stayed there in December. It was fun, and having the monorail at your disposal was great. The drawbacks for me was, that we were in a garden room (far away from the tower). Meaning that it took forever to walk the monorail. And the ride to Downtown Disney was aweful (busses were not readily avaliable, and it seemed to take forever). Other than those two drawbacks, the stay was very nice.

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Our fav resort is the Poly. Number 2 is Contemporary. Walking to/from the MK is awesome. It would be great if there would be a walkway from the Grand Flo as well. We stayed in the tower, 10th floor (Tower Club). The pool is great. Our kids, 14-12-9 at the time, loved the food and fun center. What I consider a HUGE benefit to the Contemporary and Poly is there is 24 hours food service. Even if it's just chips or ice cream. With teenagers, who are always hungry, after returning from the parks late at night, it really is nice to be able to grab a snack as you go back to your room. The moderates just don't offer that.

Upvote 0

lamarvenoy

My favorite hotel, I've stayed there 5 times! It is very "retro modern" and the staff are of a deluxe level. The smell of the atrium is very distinct and the only notable drawback is the lack of a deluxe style pool. The current pool to me is outdated and plain compared to even the moderate hotels out there. If you can afford it a tower room on the MK side is the best of the best on property. To look out from your bed in the middle of the night and see Tommorowland all lit up is unbelievable. Also notable,if you are staying on a wing try to get a room on the angle where the building curves, we've been lucky enough to get those rooms on request at no extra charge and they are HUGE,almost double a regular room with a massive bathroom, wetbar and 2 sets of windows.

Upvote 0
IMHO, Contemporary is number 4...Being in the DVC I have had the honor to stay in my top 3
1. Old Key West
2. Boardwalk
3. Wilderness Lodge

I love the contemporary though. The garden rooms are relaxing yet not far removed from everything. And the location of the hotel is perfect for hopping over to MK for a few hours. No hotel in Disney is bad...its just there are so many great ones to choose from!

Upvote 0

djmatthews

Originally posted by Nansafan
It would be great if there would be a walkway from the Grand Flo as well.

There isn't? Its not that far away is it, I thought there was a walkway all around the lagoon made up of those name floor tiles.

To me the CR looks dated. It doesn't look Contemporary, its very Epcot in that way and old Tomorrowland, and like anything built in the 70s early 80s, lots of concrete, but it has dated. I would still love to stay there for that retro Disney feeling, and the monorail. lamarvenoy is right, the pool isn't that fantastic, I know tthat it has changed from what it used to be, any plans to change it again?

Upvote 0

Nansafan

Originally posted by djmatthews
There isn't? Its not that far away is it, I thought there was a walkway all around the lagoon made up of those name floor tiles.

No, the walkway isn't complete. As you ride the monorail around Seven Seas Lagoon you can see where the walkway stops. There is a channel to the lagoon which, is my understanding, the Electric Water Pagent enters and exits the lagoon.

Upvote 0

lborne

To me, this is the coolest Disney hotel mainly for the fact that it has the monorail going through it. I can sit there and watch the monorails all day. I also like to just hop on the monorails for a ride to EPCOT and back. Also, if you are going without kids, or can at least get away by yourselves for a bit, one of my favorite restaurants is the California Grill. I also think the Character Breakfast and Chef Mickeys is one of the best.

The rooms are a little dated and small for a deluxe hotel, but having a great view of the MK at night more than makes up for it. Great place to watch the fireworks too, if you get a good room facing the MK.

Upvote 0

Yellow Shoes

Actually, the rooms at the Contemporary are the largest on property.

422 sq ft -- Contemporary

409 sq ft -- Polynesian

400 sq ft -- Grand Floridian

380 sq ft -- Yacht & Beach Club

340 sq ft -- Wilderness and Animal Kingdom Lodges

...perhaps the day bed makes them seem smaller

Upvote 0

lborne

OK - I did not know that. Probably cause I never stayed at the other deluxe resorts. I've stayed at the All Star resorts and to be honest, the CR rooms did not seem all that much bigger.

Also, the last few times we've gone we've stayed in 2 and 3 BR condos, so everything seems small in comparison.

Thanks for correcting me with facts.

Upvote 0
Originally posted by djmatthews

To me the CR looks dated. It doesn't look Contemporary, its very Epcot in that way and old Tomorrowland, and like anything built in the 70s early 80s, lots of concrete, but it has dated. I would still love to stay there for that retro Disney feeling, and the monorail. lamarvenoy is right, the pool isn't that fantastic, I know tthat it has changed from what it used to be, any plans to change it again?

Actually, the way design is going today, CR is almost modern again.Many major architectural firms have started back on the simplistic designs of just horizontals and verticals. That is exacty what CR is. Correct it is a little dated, but nevertheless, still in my eyes contemporary, even if it is not new.

Upvote 0

SamatBCV

I guess I'm the exception. I really don't like the contemporary. It looks cool and I had always wanted to stay there, but when I finally did, it was disappointing. It just is a regualr hotel room. It doesn't have the theming like the Poly, Floridian, etc.. Maybe they've updated the theming since I stayed there, but there are so many great hotels on site to stay at that I like better, I probably won't go back. The only pluses there for me are the California Grill and walking distance to MK.

Upvote 0

phase90

The Contemporary Resort Rules!!! My wife and I are hooked on it.
It has the largest standard rooms, best restaurants, monorail
service of course, and, as far as I know the only Disney resort
pool that is open 24 hours / 7 days! Also the walk to the Magic Kingdom alone is a magical experience.

Upvote 0

Scooter

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I have to laugh when people say the Contemporary has no theming and is no longer Contemporary...

PEOPLE....there's a Monorail running though the MIDDLE of it!!
:D :D

I have stayed there 6 times and am going back for my 7th time in October. I LOVE this resort.

The restaurants are all great...there's 3 snackbars, a bar and some really great gift shops.

I'm in my 40's and I still like to slip into the huge game room once in a while when it's not too crowded and play a few games. :animwink:

Having Magic Kingdom being a short walk away is really nice. Especially when the park closes and there's a mad rush to the exit's. No long lines, no crowded boats, monorails, or parking lot tie ups. Just a leisurely moonlit night stroll back to your room .:)

Upvote 0

Holly

I stayed there the first time when I was six and the last time (this past T'giving) when I was 33 ... and loved it, loved it, loved it!

Chef Mickey's is right downstairs!

The monorail goes THRU the dang hotel - how cool is that!?

HUGE rooms!

If you stay in the tower, I would request a Bay Lake view - we wanted an MK view but got the water instead. Best thing that ever happened! Saw the water parade from our balcony and could run down the hall to see the fireworks every night.

I don't think I'd ever stay anywhere else!

Upvote 0

Firewolfe51

Original Poster
Thanks for all the great replies. Please keep them coming. The CR does seem old and outdated to me, so we are kind of uneasy about staying there. We like very nice accomodations when we vacate. We do love the ambience of the Poly, quite romantic and tranquil. Having the castle as a view could be an important decision maker for us. It was an awesome view from the Poly. Just soooo undecided!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

Upvote 0

SamatBCV

Originally posted by Firewolfe51
Thanks for all the great replies. Please keep them coming. The CR does seem old and outdated to me, so we are kind of uneasy about staying there. We like very nice accomodations when we vacate. We do love the ambience of the Poly, quite romantic and tranquil. Having the castle as a view could be an important decision maker for us. It was an awesome view from the Poly. Just soooo undecided!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:confused:

For the amount of money you are going to spend at either Poly or CR, I'd recommend staying at the Poly for one reason. You said that you are uneasy about staying at CR. While I love trying new things, I don't want to spend a ton of money finding out I wish I'd gone with something I know I like. Maybe you could try getting one night at CR just to see how you like it. If you do, then stay there the next time for the entire trip.

To the others who laugh when I say there is a lack of theming, I didn't say there is no theme, I said it is lacking. Yes, we ALL know the monorail going through the hotel is cool, but there should be more to theming than that. Again, I don't know if they've updated the rooms (and if they have, please explain what they've done with examples rather than just saying "its cool and modern/futuristic), but when I was there (and yes, we stayed in the tower) I was disappointed to find just another hotel room. The only things that looked "contemporary" were the drawers. When I have been to any of the other hotels, they really manage to make the room have the feel of the theme for the hotel.

Upvote 0

wolf359

After reading some of the other posts it reminded me of a few other things.

The Resturants in the Contemp are top notch. Our best meal during our stay was at the California Grill, but our meals at the Concourse Steakhouse and even the Food and Fun Center were nice.

About the theme...(or lack thereof)

Most all of the resorts have a *fantasy* theme, while the Contemp has more of a *realistic* theme. If you're looking to be transported away by a feeling of another place, the Contemp *doesn't* do that.
Regardless of age I still think it comes off as being very modern AND very deluxe. And having a large room looking down over the entire MK is *very* magical, I believe.

If you're still unsure try booking a "half and half" trip. Half at the Poly and half at the Contemp. The best of both worlds!

:)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom