Contemporary Rehab Update

Nion4

I was there yesterday and the elevator I was in looked different.

It had a 1 ft high mirror spread across the right corner (as you enter in to the cab) and other cosmetic changes (like the ceiling light etc.) and different wood paneling.

It shook less also as I moved up, but that could just be that its a good elevator and not one of the rickety ones.

wem1985

Nion4 said:
I was there yesterday and the elevator I was in looked different.

It had a 1 ft high mirror spread across the right corner (as you enter in to the cab) and other cosmetic changes (like the ceiling light etc.) and different wood paneling.

It shook less also as I moved up, but that could just be that its a good elevator and not one of the rickety ones.

How funny....

If those are the same elevators that were there in 91, then they must need replacing...

I remember when the now old elevators were brand new...

They talked and told you what floor you were on...

The ones before that (in the 70's/early 80's) were SOO SLOW!!!

I remember it taking minutes upon minutes to get an elevator to your floor.

Nion4

These elevators had that same panelling buttons (electronic floor buttons) and had the same brushed steel doors.

I was thinking they might have replaced some of the wheels or something.

Total guess though.

Goofy36

With South Wings extended to Sept '06 will the North wing remain the same until the South is done? Im staying in May '06 and would love to be in a newly refurbished room!

disneyfamily

We are staying there for the first time 9/10, I've seen some pix of the rooms that were multi colored and some that had a beige or tan theme. Which of these, if any, are they changing to?

DisneyJill

disneyfamily said:
We are staying there for the first time 9/10, I've seen some pix of the rooms that were multi colored and some that had a beige or tan theme. Which of these, if any, are they changing to?

Multi-colored rooms changing to convention guest friendly-neutrals :wave:

Nion4

Was there again today...

The elevators are nice. The floor is all stone (black) with white oval and half oval inlay (also stone).

reminded me just a tad of 'THE Hotel' at Mandalay. Just a tad.

Also, when walking to the monorail, noticed that a whole floor was taped up, meaning that the little gap between wall and ceiling was taped with with a white/ish paper.

Also -- the main walls downstairs might have been painted to a sandstone color -- not sure. I don't remember them being that color.

Also -- Con-temp has a new marina (for a while now).

DisneyJill

Nion4 said:
Also -- the main walls downstairs might have been painted to a sandstone color -- not sure. I don't remember them being that color.

Yes, several of the walls downstairs were painted. The big teal column that is right inside the front doors (behind Mickey and Leopold) is now a beige color. The red wall behind the front desk is now a more muted mauve. The teal walls under the escalators are now beige as well. They have really toned down the bright colors.

Nion4

DisneyJill said:
They have really toned down the bright colors.

yah, those colors were very '90's'

I wonder if they'd ever (gasp) get ride of the grand canyon concourse mural and those light posts...(sacrilege!)

s25843

KumbaRider said:
Which tower floor did they start on first in addition to the South Wing? 12 or 11?

I will have pics up soon.

1/2 of the 10th floor is now completed. They just started to work on the 9th floor. As of right now, the 12th floor is still not done.

If you are looking at the resort from the exterior, on the MK side, you can see the new red railings, along with the new patio doors (One of the rooms has a different set of doors)

In addition, they did not replace the elevators (or the brushed silver doors). They just added muted panels on one wall, and a mirror on 2 others. They also got rid of the "Talking" floor announcments.

jasondiff

monothingie said:
Question:

Not being too familiar with the DVC program. What kind of an effect would there be by the Contemporary (or parts of it) possibly becoming part of DVC? And what would it mean for non DVC guests?

Well, if they turn the north wing into DVC it would mean that many less rooms available to cash-paying guests. Depending on whether they tear it down and rebuild it, or just convert the existing structure to DVC-style rooms, it could mean either less overall guest capacity (since DVC rooms are larger than hotel rooms) or more overall guest capacity (if they make the wing 5-6 floors instead of 3). But really I don't think it would be too much overall change numbers-wise, certainly not on the order of WL Villas or BC Villas, since they are replacing rooms and not simply adding rooms.

DisneyJill

Nion4 said:
yah, those colors were very '90's'

I wonder if they'd ever (gasp) get ride of the grand canyon concourse mural and those light posts...(sacrilege!)

I would seriously doubt that, as the mural was painted by famed artist Mary Blair. She also did all the It's a Small World artwork. :)

FYI, the spoken parts on the elevators have been gone for a while-they removed them while I was there on my CP in the Spring of '04. They were especially annoying in the garden wings. :lol:

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Original Poster
DisneyJill said:
I would seriously doubt that, as the mural was painted by famed artist Mary Blair. She also did all the It's a Small World artwork. :)

FYI, the spoken parts on the elevators have been gone for a while-they removed them while I was there on my CP in the Spring of '04. They were especially annoying in the garden wings. :lol:

Mary Blair's murals in Tomorrowland at Disneyland in Calfornia have been removed or covered up - so its entirely possible for things like that to change.

wdwjmp239

wem1985 said:
Concourse Steakhouse is not moving downstairs..
That is a rumour. (Unless the employee at the Contemporary makes it a habit to lie to people)

Maybe the Contemporary Resort, when translated, means "Lie To The Guests" ;)

:hammer:

DisneyJill

mousermerf said:
Mary Blair's murals in Tomorrowland at Disneyland in Calfornia have been removed or covered up - so its entirely possible for things like that to change.

Hmmm...Well...Maybe they will change it then someday. *shrugs* :)

teacarissa

reply to closing of contemporary 10/9, 10/10

I am arriving at the contemporay on the 9th of October, so I was alittle concerned about this information. So I called the resort and the women who answered the phone never heard this information onced, so whoever posted please let me know where you heard it from because the contemporary states its not true.

DisneyJill

teacarissa said:
I am arriving at the contemporay on the 9th of October, so I was alittle concerned about this information. So I called the resort and the women who answered the phone never heard this information onced, so whoever posted please let me know where you heard it from because the contemporary states its not true.

FYI...when you call the Contemporary, you aren't calling the Contemporary directly. You're calling an office located off site. For example, there is a building near the All-Stars that takes all of the All-Star Resort calls. So, let's say that Contemporary might share a call center with the Poly and Wilderness Lodge. Whatever resort number you call is like caller ID...so you call the Contemporary number and they say, "Thank you for calling Disney's Contemporary Resort..." they're actually the same people answering the phone for the Poly front desk. Same thing if you call the "front desk" from your room. Call center. Unless you specifically call the resort and ask for the back office, you're not talking to someone at the specific property and those people give false information all the time because they're not there to know what's going on. I hope this makes sense! :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom