Contemplating Pulling The Plug...

relots

As some of you may have read I'm planning my 21st birthday solo trip with my GF to WDW. I have everything planned and pretty much paid for, last payment will be on the 21st of April. The resort, AKL Savanna View June 7-14th, all of our dinner reservations have been set, and in about 3 weeks we can make our FastPass selections. Pretty much what I feel is the perfect trip, I'm turning 21 the month before and couldn't think of a better way to celebrate it...but I have a feeling about pulling the plug on it. I have no intentions on calling the whole thing off, more of a postpone it type of idea that has been going through my head.

The factors that have been going through my mind is whether or not I really want to spend a whole week there, in June. I feel like I'd be better off and wait and going down in September/October and spend a weekend or a Wednesday-Sunday type of stay. It's more of getting away from the crowds and spending time there when I can truly enjoy it without the worry of major crowds.

Another factor is work. I work IT for a school district (K-12) and despite the rumors I we do work the summer and it is our busiest time of the year for us. I'm thinking that if I work and save up a little more money I can go down and enjoy it a little more. Plus there's a possibility of one of my coworkers and his wife could come along since he has never been and has been looking for an excuse to go.

The last factor is the age difference between my GF and myself. I'll be 21 at the current time of the trip, she'll only be 20. I have no intentions of going down and turning it into a "Let's Drink All I Can Until I Puke" type of trip, but I do plan to try and enjoy some of the drinks offered. Honestly, I'm looking more forward to being able to rent a car then drink, but I'm a bit "off" some say. So I'm thinking about postponing it until at least we can both go and enjoy some of the same "perks". She said she is fine with it but I'm a little leery about how she'll honestly feel.

I wasn't sure if anyone else ever had those thoughts go through your mind like I have or have had a similar experience. Like I said, I don't plan to just cut the trip entirely but move it to a later date. My family is going down in 3 weeks for work related matters and I will be joining them so I plan to make my final decision then.

Sorry if this was a little winded I just wanted to get my thoughts out there and see if anyone else had a similar delima and how they dealt with it, or any tips on what I should do next.

Thanks for your help!

Weather_Lady

I think the considerations you describe (going when the crowds are lower, weather is cooler, and your GF can share in all the same things as you, as well as work concerns) are completely reasonable. They would make me take pause and think about a brief postponement of my trip as well. (3 months is not that long to wait, and you'd have the whole summer to look forward to you Disney trip.) I think you should follow your plan of visiting with your family in 3 weeks and making your decision then, perhaps with some input from them. Hopefully your employer doesn't need a lot of advance notice and/or won't disapprove of you taking some vacation time in September...

Upvote 0

relots

Original Poster
1. Sorry for the delay in response, had a few things come up over the past few days.

Thanks for the input! My GF and I actually have decided to move the trip to an earlier date for a shorter duration. May 14th to 18th. We both kinda felt the same way and figured that if we shorten the trip and go earlier we can save back money towards another trip for her 21st. I'm going to call down later today to see what my options are to move my reservation. They don't have anything for the AKL for what we want in May so I believe we're going to try and get an available room at the BLT. I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks for the help!

Upvote 0

copcarguyp71

Your thinking is sound IMO and although it stinks to put off a trip you were looking forward to I think all of what you have stated points to Sept being a good choice. FYI, Oct is crazy busy in Epcot for F&W so if it was us I would opt for Mid Sept.

Upvote 0

DisneyPrincess5

I think you made a great change. Honestly summers in Florida are so unbearably hot that IMO its worth it more to go for a shorter trip in good weather than a longer one in deathly heat. We've been around that time in May and its great. Have a wonderful time!

Upvote 0

relots

Original Poster
Well you guys are going to think I'm a liar...We made the executive decision to change plans but instead of going later we're going earlier and cutting the trip in half.

So after about a enjoyable phone call with Disney (seriously) they had us all set up. They couldn't get us a Savanna room view in AKL so we took the next place on our list to stay. We are now set to stay in BLT lake view studio from May 14th (the day of my 21st birthday) to May 18th. My GF was a little upset with not getting to stay at the AKL but once she saw BLT she was just as excited as she was for AKL, especially for the monorail access. And we're going to take the rest of the money that we had saved back from the week and plan another trip in the fall. Everything has been rescheduled and we are missing out on very little from our original plans. We even were able to get our flights changed with very little of an issue. We are leaving from BWI on the second flight to MCO at 7AM and are due to land at 9:20AM. I plan to be in Epcot by early afternoon (FastPasses already set!) since they most likely won't have our room ready for us when we arrive but I'm not going to cry about that ;)

Thank you all for your input! I greatly appreciate it. Any tips or suggestions for my trip would be greatly appreciated! :)

Upvote 0

relots

Original Poster
Sounds like you'll have fun! And I'm seriously impressed you got BLT!! :eek::)
I too was shocked when we found out we could get in at the BLT and that it saved us $$$ over the AKL so there are no complaints really :D. Everything is set, just now comes the time to sit and watch the time tick down to our departure. Thankfully, my family is going down in 2 weeks for business and I get to tag along so I'll get to have 2 doses of magic in less then a month!

Upvote 0

twinboyz98

Well, for being only 21, you are a very well written and thought out person!! First just let me say that.;)

Good luck with your upcoming shortened stay. We too, will be there in May but staying at BCV. BLT is our home resort and you will not be disappointed!! I also am shocked you were able to get BLT..:jawdrop:The weather is great(We go every year in May). Crowds aren't too bad and you will love the F&GF at EPCOT. If you plan on going to DHS check to see if it's a Star Wars Weekend.. If your interested then definitely go.. if not, you may want to avoid the crowds there.

Have a great trip!!! and Have a great Birthday!!:D

Upvote 0

relots

Original Poster
Sounds like a great trip! Hope you have a great birthday at Disney!
Thanks! I'm sure I'll enjoy it but I'm looking more forward to my GF who has never been. So it's going to be a new experience for both of us. First time for me staying at the BLT, and for her it'll be her first trip to WDW, so it'll be interesting I'm sure. Flight leaves at 7AM and as of right now we are due in the parks by early afternoon!

Upvote 0

relots

Original Poster
Well, for being only 21, you are a very well written and thought out person!! First just let me say that.;)

Good luck with your upcoming shortened stay. We too, will be there in May but staying at BCV. BLT is our home resort and you will not be disappointed!! I also am shocked you were able to get BLT..:jawdrop:The weather is great(We go every year in May). Crowds aren't too bad and you will love the F&GF at EPCOT. If you plan on going to DHS check to see if it's a Star Wars Weekend.. If your interested then definitely go.. if not, you may want to avoid the crowds there.

Have a great trip!!! and Have a great Birthday!!:D
Thanks! I always go with my family in April and, despite having allergies, I enjoy the F&GF! And my GF is a Star Wars fan so she's excited to be down for that weekend as well. I'm thankful now that we are now staying at BLT since it allowed us to be a little more free with our budget so it'll make our stay even more enjoyable now.

Upvote 0

AngieTink27

Thanks! I always go with my family in April and, despite having allergies, I enjoy the F&GF! And my GF is a Star Wars fan so she's excited to be down for that weekend as well. I'm thankful now that we are now staying at BLT since it allowed us to be a little more free with our budget so it'll make our stay even more enjoyable now.
We have been in April before and enjoyed it. Later in the month especially when spring breaks are over for the most part and crowds are lesser. The weather is hot but not unbearable. Have a great birthday trip!

Upvote 0

relots

Original Poster
We have been in April before and enjoyed it. Later in the month especially when spring breaks are over for the most part and crowds are lesser. The weather is hot but not unbearable. Have a great birthday trip!
Yeah we've never really had too many issues with crowds when we've been in April. The heat I am welcoming of right now since I live in PA and next week is going to be the first week outside of the 40s for us.

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

Mid September/October would be my choice. We visit in the Fall, so much nicer, in our opinion. Weather is a huge factor. Its gorgeous in October! Weekend crowds at Epcot are heavy due to food and wine, however the other parks aren't as bad, in our experiences.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom